PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Misschilly
October 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hi, I joined here in august, after a couple of month of lurking, I've learned so much from you all!=)

Some questions I've been thinking about..

* I wanna buy some flexi8:s, but what size could fit?
I've tried to find my answer in older flexi8 threads but it hard..due to there homepage for ponytails I should wear maybe a small (my ponytail circumference is 8 cm) but I almost only want to use it for buns?

* Thoose of you that use MO..do you use any other products before/after the oil? do you reapply? (I've read Ktanis blog <3, but want to hear you opinions!)

* How do I upload pictures the easiest way?

*It would be great if I cold get some help with my hair typing..wash day tomorrow, and if I know how to upload pictures I could post a pic!=)
(My hair is pretty close to waist, I would guess I'm 1b-c/f-m/ii maybe?)

* I have a MP mixed popular brush, I've read that the nylons may be bad for the hair, why, friction?..what do U think about it and how do I know if my hair is OK with it?

I hope it's OK that I post all my questions in one thread..looking forward to read your answers/thoughts!=)

Camilla

lilahtov
October 23rd, 2013, 11:01 PM
Misschilly, I'm gonna try to answer you as best I can. Here goes!

On the Flexi8 website there is a lot of very helpful information on what size is best for what hair types for which hairstyle(s). There is even a video on it, which I highly suggest watching (I did).

I do not use MO, but I just started oiling my hair. For more information on that, please see my post in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=108936&page=74).

So far, I've found that the easiest way to upload pictures is to first upload them to a free online image host...i use photobucket, but you could also use imgur or something else...then, link to the direct (make sure it is direct, or it will not work!) URL to have it show in a thread here on the forum.

I'd be happy to help give you an idea of your hair type, but the best critic of that is you. You know how your hair feels, acts, looks, etc. better than any picture can show any of us. Just a thought :) Also, remember--you don't HAVE to be in one category, you can remain 1b/c or something similar!

I have fine hair and I own an MP handy with all boar bristles and no nylon. I love it. I do not know of any reason why a brush of such quality would damage your hair, other than one. If your hair is fine as well, I would suggest finding a brush that is gentler. Coarser hair requires/benefits from the aid of nylon bristles, according to MP literature. Finer hair is better off with all BBs.

Hope to goodness I helped with at least one of those!! :wink:

And welcome! :blossom:

biogirl87
October 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Misschilly, I do not use Flexi-8 (do not have Flexi-8 at the moment) but since I use mineral oil from time to time, I wanted to comment on that. I typically use mineral oil after I wash my hair, when my hair is till damp. When I use mineral oil, I just moisten one side of a cotton ball with it and then rub the cotton ball on my palms to get the mineral oil on my palms and then run my palms on the canopy (as the canopy is where I get the frizz in the summer). Sometimes I'll run my palms and fingers with my mineral oil through the ends of my hair to make it easier to detangle my hair. You don't need to use a lot when you use mineral oil (I use Equate baby oil that has mineral oil and fragrance as the only ingredients). I know ktani recommends/says you can only use mineral oil once between washes, but I find my hair is easiest to detangle if I put mineral oil onthe ends of my hair twice a week (I wash once a week and if I put mineral oil on the ends of my hair only once a week, by about day four it's harder to detangled unless I put a bit more mineral oil on the ends of my hair).

Misschilly
October 24th, 2013, 07:17 AM
@Lilahtov: I've watched the video, it doesn't make me much smarter I'm afraid=) I'm going to try photobucket, wich me luck! It's true what you're saying about the hair typing, but I'll try upload a picture anyway to see if your opinion matches mine!

@biogirl87: Thanks for you discription, do you dampen your hair before applying more day 4?

biogirl87
October 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Misschilly, typically I will dampen my a bit (not a whole lot, I usually wet my hair and run my wet hands on the canopy of my hair to dampen it). Now that we are into the fall season, I haven't had to apply mineral oil on day 4.

Misschilly
October 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/Camilla_Abrahamsson/DSC_0027_zpsd00ded0b.jpg

Pleasse help me with my hair typing?=)

lapushka
October 24th, 2013, 04:50 PM
That looks like 1c to me.

vindo
October 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I would say 1c-2a because the waves are quite regular and close together if that makes sense! A lot of 1c's I know have long flowy, subtle waves all througout their hair.
My sister has 1c-2a hair and depending on how she dries it she can make it look more or less wavy.

vindo
October 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I would say 1c-2a because the waves are quite regular and close together if that makes sense! A lot of 1c's I know have long flowy, subtle waves all througout their hair.
My sister has 1c-2a hair and depending on how she dries it she can make it look more or less wavy.

biogirl87
October 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Misschilly, I would say that your hair is 1c/2a, if not 2a. I can see waves throughtout your hair but they are pretty stretched out.

BlazingHeart
October 25th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I'm not certain, but I think that for a ponytail or a peacock twist, you will want a medium Flexi. I have a 13cm (5.2") circumference, and I use a large for those styles. I can do a half-up with a medium, so that's why I'm thinking it's the right size for a ponytail for you. In terms of using them for buns and other styles, that's a little harder. I think most people go up one size. I have to go up two sizes, but I have extremely thick hair and very little taper, and I'm a classic length, so I think needing to go up 2 sizes is not normal.

I agree with lapushka, I'd call that 1c.

As far as your brush - Madora, who is a pure bbb fan, has said that the nylon bristles create friction and static. I don't use bbbs (mixed or pure), so I can't speak to that from personal experience. Just make sure you're not using it for detangling - bbbs shouldn't be used that way. Use a comb or a Tangle Teazer to detangle (or some of us who are not prone to tangles, myself included, use pin brushes to detangle, but that's not normally recommended), then use the bbb to polish and smooth your hair. It will also remove lint and spread your natural oils down your hair (which is a good thing! Your natural oils are very good for your hair).

Misschilly
October 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm not certain, but I think that for a ponytail or a peacock twist, you will want a medium Flexi. I have a 13cm (5.2") circumference, and I use a large for those styles. I can do a half-up with a medium, so that's why I'm thinking it's the right size for a ponytail for you. In terms of using them for buns and other styles, that's a little harder. I think most people go up one size. I have to go up two sizes, but I have extremely thick hair and very little taper, and I'm a classic length, so I think needing to go up 2 sizes is not normal.

I agree with lapushka, I'd call that 1c.

As far as your brush - Madora, who is a pure bbb fan, has said that the nylon bristles create friction and static. I don't use bbbs (mixed or pure), so I can't speak to that from personal experience. Just make sure you're not using it for detangling - bbbs shouldn't be used that way. Use a comb or a Tangle Teazer to detangle (or some of us who are not prone to tangles, myself included, use pin brushes to detangle, but that's not normally recommended), then use the bbb to polish and smooth your hair. It will also remove lint and spread your natural oils down your hair (which is a good thing! Your natural oils are very good for your hair).

Hi!
Ok, so you think medium..due to flexi8 homepage I should have small for ponytails (8 cm) big help to know I should have 1-2 sizes bigger for buns, they don't say anything about it on there side I think...I always detangle before bbb and i really like to clean my hair with it!=)