PDA

View Full Version : glycerin in my conditioner

sarahthegemini
October 23rd, 2013, 06:36 AM
Can glycerin in RO products cause frizz in certain dew points or is that only a problem with LI and styling products? I have been getting a couple chunks of frizz which I think is caused by over scrunching my hair but I want to check and see if I can rule out my conditioner, which has glycerin high on the ingredient list.

TIA!

Audhumla
October 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Well since glycerine is a humectant the effect it has on your hair really depends on your environment and the humidity. It can have a different effect from day to day on one person and some people don't like to use humectants at all. So there are a few factors to consider there.
As far as rinse out vs. leave in I have used both because my hair likes glycerine and I believe the leave in products with glycerine have a slightly more pronounced effect than the rinse out ones, for me at least. If your hair doesn't like one it probably won't like the other.
If you're trying a curly haircare method that involves lots of moisture and your hair is frizzy it might be getting slightly over moisturised. Maybe skip the glyercine for a few days and see how it goes.

sourgrl
October 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hi. My names sourgrl and i have humectantphobia ;) My personal experience with humectants, regardless of what they are in (shampoo, ro, leave in, products), always results in poofy hair. I go so far as to carry a list of humectants found in hair care items so when I want to try something new I don't accidently bring home a humectant. They seem to be everywhere! For me, avoiding them has made a huge difference in my hair. I actually like my hair, dare I say love my hair because I avoid them. If you suspect they may be causing frizz try cutting them out and see how your hair reacts.

sarahthegemini
October 24th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I'll definitely switch to my glycerine free condish for my next wash. It's interesting to see how some people love it and others hate it!