PDA

View Full Version : My hair almost always dries funny?

Oramus
October 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
And by funny I mean near dreadlock like clumps! It's really annoying to have to pick through my hair every time it dries, so does anyone have any ideas?
I use cones and a no sulfate shampoo. We have really hard water here and my hair seems to only look really good when I do a vinegar rinse :(.
I'd love any suggestions because I'm at wits end picking out these locks!

Also, a few days ago I washed my hair and rinsed thoroughly and it looked as if I'd never washed it when it dried! I didn't change my routine any, so I'm not sure what happened. :confused:

Thanks ahead of time!!!

antler_tines
October 22nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Maybe you needto clarify? Cones can build up over time and clarifying occasionally should help, you might even have to wash twice to get all the build up off the hair shaft. Maybe that will help :)

Oramus
October 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Maybe you needto clarify? Cones can build up over time and clarifying occasionally should help, you might even have to wash twice to get all the build up off the hair shaft. Maybe that will help :)
I do clarify with a vinegar rinse, actually. ^^ Although, perhaps I should do it more? I'm not sure how often would be beneficial.
Thanks for your reply!

Magalo
October 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Seems like build-up. Usually it's either no-cones/no-sulphates or cones + sulphates, they go together.

kitschy
October 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
I wish you would give me your secret! I can't make my hair clump!

Oramus
October 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Seems like build-up. Usually it's either no-cones/no-sulphates or cones + sulphates, they go together.

Thanks for your reply! Maybe I should try going cone free again, but for a while it really seemed like my hair needed the cones. I'll give it a go! :) Your hair is absolutely beautiful, by the way!!

antler_tines
October 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
From what I've read on here, vinegar may not be enough to strip wax and silicone build up on hair. Its good for smoothing the hair cuticle and balancing scalp ph but vinegar alone won't take off build up.

Chromis
October 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
I have to use an acid rinse each time I wash my hair regardless of method because our water is so hard. On the bright side, this also makes my hair softer and shinier! I use shampoo bars, but I have tried sulphate-free shampoos, sulphate shampoos, cones, no-cones, and so forth but all lead to a tangled clumpy mess without a rinse. I have the best results from a citric acid/ACV combo.

red-again
October 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Like others have said, vinegar probably won't cut it as a sole clarifying agent. Might be worth trying a clarifying shampoo.
Another thing, you may need to chelate, having hard water the dissolved minerals will build up on your hair and only a chelating ( or swimmers) shampoo will do this. Chelating is different to clarifying. If you don't have success with one it may be time to do the other one.

Rio040113
October 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
If you have hard water then using a clarifying and chelating shampoo (I use Joico) might be worth a try, if it works then you can just use it as needed :) But as you're saying your hair is 'clumping', is it possible your hair is wavier/curlier than you have it typed as??

YamaMaya
October 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Hard water is a pain for hair, I find I have to chelate at least once a month if not more. Also, how exactly do you shampoo your hair? Do you just swirl it around your head while working in the shampoo? I used to do that all the time and my hair was a nightmare to detangle. You're better off gently massaging the shampoo around just the scalp, then gently working it down the shaft rather than trying to turn yourself into a human soft serve :p. I find most days I only shampoo my scalp, and I only shampoo the rest of my hair if I need to clarify or chelate. Try giving it a good detangling before you enter the shower with a wide toothed comb or a tangle teezer as well, as it may help ease the situation.

Firefox7275
October 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Vinegar is not clarifying (removes product build up), it is chelating (removes or prevents mineral build up) if you use a strong enough mix. Ingredients that can build up include many silicones, waxes, butters, some polyquats, mineral oil/ petrolatum. Sulphates and cocoamidopropyl betaine can remove silicone build up.

Anje
October 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
It could be a number of things, including hard water and buildup. To be honest, I tend to have hair that dries in strings and clumps no matter what I do with it. I think in my case it has a lot to do with hair texture and having a mix of hair textures distributed throughout my hair. The curlier strands like to encapsulate the straighter stuff, forming clumps. I haven't done any hardcore chelating, though, and I'm tempted to give it at try.