PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching hennaed hair

eros
October 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
I have very dark brown hair, I hennaed it with pure henna a year ago or so. I would like to dye my hair to a caramel/dirty blonde, but for that I have to go lighter. Will bleaching over henna turn it orange?

red-again
October 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
In my case, I have very dark brown hair that I have named monthly for nearly five years. I wanted to get some bright red in there so I bleached. Near my scalp, even though I put the bleach there later than the ends ( heat develops it faster there ) I still had golden blonde roots and orange lengths. I had to re bleach the ends again but they did not match not even close
That said, you have only hennaed the once, I hope you meant that and not that the last time you hennaed was over a year ago.
If you've done it once, who knows, you may get a pretty decent result. It'd definitely be worth strand testing before going the whole hog though.
Also be prepared for quite a bit of damage as being dark, a lot of pigment will be removed from your hair resulting in more damage than lighter haired ladies would get.
It would be worth looking into coconut oil before and during the bleach process and also looking into bleach baths as they are missed with shampoo and less damaging than full strength bleach. Also, take your time, at least a month between bleach applications will help your hair recover in between time.
Good luck

eros
October 22nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your response :D I was planning on going to the hairdressers to get my hair bleached,though. So, to sum up, the hennaed part will turn out orange? :(:confused: What if they dyed over that again?

red-again
October 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
It'd be very hard to guess can you cut a sample of your hair and get the hairdresser to carry out first the bleach then the. Possible dye on it?

Magalo
October 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
You can get a lighter red, or orange then dye it brown, but there's no way you can get 'dirty blonde' hair if you have hennaed your hair. You'll get bright orange destroyed hair at most.

bunnylake
October 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I thought henna was impossible to remove, actually...? That's why they say "you don't date henna, you marry it."

Magalo
October 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
That's why she'll get orange hair if she bleach it. The bleach will lighten her own hair color under the henna, but the henna will stay intact.

eros
October 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Ah, Isee. I won't be dying my hair for a while, I guess :(. thanks for your help guys. ;)

lapushka
October 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm one who had my henna bleached out, but it stayed orange, after an application of the strongest bleach, left on for the longest amount of time. The lightest I could go was a light brown.

akuamoonmaui
October 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM
People had a lot of luck with 'Color Oops' which is not a bleach. I've tried it and my hair did lighten to copper - but my hair/coloring is naturally "red" so this was fine... and I hennaed regularly and often.

You didn't clarify if you hennaed once, over a year ago, or, that you used henna regularly over a year ago. I think if it was a one time thing, you may have better luck with removal than you think.

Of course a strand test is a must to save sanity, no matter what you do.