PDA

View Full Version : lavender spray as a scalp refresher?

sarahthegemini
October 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM
Read about this and wanted some thoughts and opinions before I go ahead and purchase some lavender oil. Does it actually work to refresh and cleanse the scalp?

ositarosita
October 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
I put lavender essential oil in my scalp oil mix ... it's it refreshing no but the smell does help me sleep lol However the peppermint essential oil I put in my shampoo is refreshing.

Aingeal
October 22nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
I acually just bought so e lavender to put into my coconut oil this week. I'll let you know. ;) I do also put peppermint in my oil sometimes and I love it!

Liz_park
October 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
@sarahthegemini: Lavender oil is lovely! I add a few drops to my argan oil mix in the morning to add to my ends as a detangler. You can also add it to a heavier oiling like coconut oil. I love the way it smells and I always get compliments when people give me a hug and can smell my hair.

Peppermint oil and spearmint oil are really nice to add as well. If I want something really refreshing, that's usually what I go for.

You can also add about 10-15 drops of lavender oil to a distilled water spray bottle. If you shake just before spraying, the oil disperses through the water and whatever you spray it on will smell like lavender. I sometimes use this to spray on dry hair to refresh it (like bedhead, if I'm not washing that day). It can also be used as a linen or pillow spray before bed!

sarahthegemini
October 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Hmm, it seems that it doesn't really clean the scalp then, just gives it a clean scent.

I acually just bought so e lavender to put into my coconut oil this week. I'll let you know. ;) I do also put peppermint in my oil sometimes and I love it!

Thank you, that'd be helpful!

Andeee
October 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
That's funny, I just mixed up some refreshing essential oil and water spray for the first time in ages! But I agree that peppermint is the most refreshing. Lavender is really nice but to me it's more relaxing.

Anexia
October 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have lavenderwater in a water spray bottle and I use it to refresh my waves/curls. I've read somewhere that you can spray and rub your scalp with it instead of washing...but I don't know I haven't tried it.

Cindershadow
October 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I like to mix lavender and tea tree oils with some water and vinegar in a spray bottle to spay on my scalp in between washes. I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're referring to, but it helps with the scalp smells I have from going no-poo. :) I haven't tried it with anything other than lavender and tea tree, but peppermint sounds nice!

Flor
October 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Just an FYI, Lavender Water (Lavender Hydrosol) and Lavender Essential Oil are not exactly the same thing.

Aingeal
October 25th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Ok so here's my update! I added lavender oil to my coconut il this morning. Oh my word it is heavenly. I only added a couple of drops, so it's not too strong, but he and there I get a whiff. I love it.

sarahthegemini
October 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Ok so here's my update! I added lavender oil to my coconut il this morning. Oh my word it is heavenly. I only added a couple of drops, so it's not too strong, but he and there I get a whiff. I love it.

Thank you for the update :) .... I really am tempted now!

eta: Does anyone know if lavender can cause dryness long term?