PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite Home made Hair masks & treatments!

Pocahontash
October 21st, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone! :cool: I seem to have found a new hair hobby within the past few months and have had a lot of fun experimenting with oils/ essential oils/ kitchen items it attempt to replace my somewhat expensive hair masks. Another reason for this has been the fact that hair masks that have been favorites in the past have contained a lot of parabens and alcohol that clearly isn't any good for those locks of yours. I have been Googling up a storm and been reading through others posts here at LHC and have made a few different masks. I have had some mixed results and am wondering if any of you out there have made any amazing hair masks that have really made a difference in your hair care routine. I have tried the infamous egg yolk masks and although they seem to make my hair shiny they don't do much for moisture. I have also experimented with adding avacados and even bananas with hair masks. Unfortunately at the moment I do not have a blender/ hand mixer so I have to hand mash these masks. Let me tell you hand mashed banana hair mask.. what a DISASTER I could not get the pulpy clumps of fruit out of my hair for days not to mention how incredibly tangled it got :( lol but anyway if you have had any luck with home made treatments, leave ins, mixtures, or masks please share away with me and each other! - Ash x

TheHowlingWolf
October 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM
Oh my gosh! I had the same experience with a banana! I actually CRIED! lol. I actually make my own scalp spray & I really like it! I just take herbs (horsetail, rosemary, lavender, sage, peppermint, & fenugreek) and steep them in water to make a "tea" & then spray it on my scalp after I wash my hair. I've made DIY hair masks before but I just prefer plain oils.

Lyv
October 22nd, 2013, 12:53 AM
I almost never have good experiences with homemade masks, I've tried using a mashed banana in mine before too with miserable results. I've tried an egg yolk and honey mask that worked ok but not enough to try again, the SMT is the only thing that really works for me.

SleepyTangles
October 22nd, 2013, 01:48 AM
Yay! My favourite mask is the classic "kitchen raid" deep treatment!
A spoon of olive oil
A spoon of honey
A spoon of vinegar (if you use lemon juice, a little less)
At least three spoonsful of contitioner, or as many you need to mask vinegar smell

Does henna count as a treatment? I was pretty much in love with my last recipe :o

oatmealpie
October 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Next time you want to use banana in your hair, try banana baby food. It's already mashed and seed-free.

LAG93
October 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
I had a horrible experience with an egg mask! The whole egg, mayonaise, olive oil and honey. Oh my it was just a pain in the butt to apply, and also to rinse out! My hair was so tangly, more tangly than I've ever felt it. After I succeeded at getting most of the tangles out, not without damage...lots of it..., my hair looked worse than before, dull and dry and broken!

Later I realized I probably way over proteined my hair, I already henna and used a protein shampoo and condish.
That was before my lhc days, I was a mess!

Now for a hair mask I just use the SMT method, I still have to perfect it to my hair but it is getting there!

Pocahontash
October 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
HA I am glad I am not the only one that has had the banana head experience. I like the scalp spray idea TheHowlingWolf mentioned I have to try that! I was wondering what "Fenugreek" was though? I'm a newb so i'm not sure what that does. I'll also have to try the kitchen Raid mask :) I just looked up the SMT method and have the ingredients. YAY for new recipes.