PDA

View Full Version : Thread Title Fonts

ladiosaRosa
March 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'm defeated. Please help me decipher the various thread title fonts that I see, like:.......
1. ghosted, regular font.
2. regular font.
3. bold font.
4. ghosted, bold font.

I know the various fonts depict whether one has read the thread or not but I don't know definitively (4 different fonts, after all). Thank you so much.

capelli lunghi
March 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I know the bold means there are new posts that you haven't read.. but as far as the "ghosted" ones.. I am lost.. If I have read a thread recently, It is ghosted.. but it stays ghosted even after there are new posts.. so I'm not entirely sure how that works.. Sorry I couldn't help more!

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, used to, the fonts were ghosted after you had read them and there were no new posts. It is totally throwing me off that they are staying ghosted even after new posts are added :confused:

ladiosaRosa
March 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this boat. Let's hope someone with the answers will wander by and help us out.

PatGear
March 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
This is what I gather:

You've read this thread and there are no new recent posts since then
2. regular font.
I'm not sure about this one. I'm guessing it's for threads you've not read but there are no recent posts either. Since I only seem to see this on week+ threads.
3. bold font.
You've not read this thread
4. ghosted, bold font.
You've read this thread but there are new recent posts since then

How did I do? :D

aisling
March 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM
*hands PatGear a cookie* You did very well but I must be blind, I only see three different fonts, I don't see a difference between ghosted, regular and just regular, they look the same to me and I find it for old threads (+1 week) and for newer, read threads without new posts. Well, it's minor really and I'm guessing it has to do with the colours and the brightness (lack thereof) on the screen I'm using.

talullah
March 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Eh, what is "ghosted"? :o

I took a look through the forums after reading this thread, and I see only two different fonts. Since I don't know what ghosted means, I'll call them bold and not-bold. It looks the same as the old forums, to me. :confused:

icydove
March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Usually, when you bold a font, it makes it bigger, giving the appearance of darker. These "ghosted" fonts are the same size as the bolded fonts, but they are grey instead of black. On the former LHC, grey was "read" and black was unread (whether you had ever read it or not).

I don't see the four different fonts that ladiosaRosa sees, I only see the bold and the ghosted, which I guess is why I'm even more confused :confused: A thread will be ghosted if I've read it, but it can still have new posts I haven't read.

ladiosaRosa
March 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
This is what I gather:

You've read this thread and there are no new recent posts since then
2. regular font.
I'm not sure about this one. I'm guessing it's for threads you've not read but there are no recent posts either. Since I only seem to see this on week+ threads.
3. bold font.
You've not read this thread
4. ghosted, bold font.
You've read this thread but there are new recent posts since then

How did I do? :D

Well, you're doing great, PatGear....I'm so glad you've validated that there are actually 4 fonts. I've started doubting myself. So :blossom: and more :cookie:

Can you explain 'week+' and how do I get to see it?

*hands PatGear a cookie* You did very well but I must be blind, I only see three different fonts, I don't see a difference between ghosted, regular and just regular, they look the same to me and I find it for old threads (+1 week) and for newer, read threads without new posts. Well, it's minor really and I'm guessing it has to do with the colours and the brightness (lack thereof) on the screen I'm using.

aisling....they are so close, ('regular' and 'ghosted regular') and must vary from computer. Also, again....what is the '+1week' thing? Gosh now I feel it's right there under my nose but, I'm to un-observant.

Eh, what is "ghosted"? :o

I took a look through the forums after reading this thread, and I see only two different fonts. Since I don't know what ghosted means, I'll call them bold and not-bold. It looks the same as the old forums, to me. :confused:
talullah.....'ghosted' means the color of the font is lighter than normal. So, with black, the font looks more like gray rather than black. It's obvious when the font is 'bold' but harder to discern when the font is 'regular'.

Usually, when you bold a font, it makes it bigger, giving the appearance of darker. These "ghosted" fonts are the same size as the bolded fonts, but they are grey instead of black. On the former LHC, grey was "read" and black was unread (whether you had ever read it or not).

I don't see the four different fonts that ladiosaRosa sees, I only see the bold and the ghosted, which I guess is why I'm even more confused :confused: A thread will be ghosted if I've read it, but it can still have new posts I haven't read.

Thanks for your input, icydove. Well, Pat may have pinned it down. I'll feel better though when I learn about the +1week thing.

I think I'd be happier with the old system; especially now that we have our darling 'dots' back. So simple.

Is this a thread where no Mod treads? :uhh:

Thank you all! :blossom:

talullah
March 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks, icydove and ladiosarosa. I still only see one color-- black*--even with the bold. It must be my computer settings.

*Eh, maybe it's grey. Whatever it is, there's only one color. I just realized that this is what's driving me nuts about the blogs section--there's no way to tell which I've read and which I haven't.

icydove
March 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I just went to my subscriptions, and I now see the ghosted unbolded font and the regular unbolded font. :lol:

eaglesflight
March 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
ladiosaRosa, I believe that aisling and PatGear were simply referring to threads that were posted longer than 7 days ago.

ladiosaRosa
March 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
ladiosaRosa, I believe that aisling and PatGear were simply referring to threads that were posted longer than 7 days ago.

Doh....you'd think I'd be able to 'get' the easy ones.

Thanks, eaglesflight! :blossom:

PatGear
March 19th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yes, eaglesflight is right. If you go to, say, the mane forum and click on the last page, you'll only see regular fonts (none bolded since the fact that these posts are on the last page mean that nobody has posted in them for well over a week.), some in black, and some in grey (i.e., ghosted). The ones in grey are the ones I've looked at before.

I can see how it would be very confusing if your monitor doesn't show the difference between the black and the grey. I do find it very helpful to have 4 different indicators instead of just 2.

Thanks for the flowers and the cookies. I think I might skip lunch today! ;)