PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my hair type.

bananahanna
October 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hello there, i am somewhat new here. I've been looking around for a really long time, however, and am very curious about my hair type.
I figured it is somewhere around 1b-2a but i am not sure where! some days it is absolutely wavy, others it is more straight. When it was longer especially it was very wavy in my opinion.
My problem? Everyone seems to have a different definition of 1c and 2a hair. Some photos i see that say "1B" seem wavier than my hair. Other times, i will see a person with "2A" hair that seems straighter than mine.
To put an end to this madness, is there a real resource for this besides opinion?

here is my hair today, after i brushed it and washed it. there are some spirals underneath but they really don't seem to show up until i'm past APL. :(
http://i42.tinypic.com/35i3xco.jpg

One half appears to be totally straight while the other is just full of wave and volume.

lapushka
October 21st, 2013, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't consider that hair that's in the 2s, rather in the 1s, 1b, I'd say from looking at your picture. Of course, a picture from the back would be a bit more helpful, perhaps?

Rio040113
October 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM
This link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252) might help you :) Also it's usually advised not to brush out waves, but rather to detangle/comb gently when wet/damp, especially for hair typing :)

vindo
October 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM
It looks like 1b with whirls to me! Or maybe 1b-c :)

bananahanna
October 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM
thank you. I have some photos from when I had about BSL hair and it seemed a lot closer to twos. when it's short it peanut show the waves as much :( sadly. I'll try to find them.

thirstylocks
October 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
My hair is straight on one side and wavy on the other as well! Different parts of my hair are different types/textures so I just say 1c/2a.

Diamond.Eyes
October 21st, 2013, 10:54 PM
It definitely appears that we have the same hair type, which is 1a/1b. It's straight but has a teeny bit of movement. :flower:

bananahanna
October 21st, 2013, 11:42 PM
It definitely appears that we have the same hair type, which is 1a/1b. It's straight but has a teeny bit of movement. :flower:

my hair is no where neeaaarrr 1A. it's never straight unless I brush it when it's wet, which I try not to do now haha.
it's has little S shapes all throughout it except now it's short and you can't tell :(
I've compared to a lot of people's hair typing that said 1B even and I know I have more wave than that. but then there's the random side that wants to lay flatter.

biogirl87
October 22nd, 2013, 03:41 AM
bananahanna, I think the best thing for you to do so we can help you is to wash your hair as you normally do (you can use conditioner after you shampoo your hair) and then let it dry without touching it and then take picture of your hair from the back. The picture you have taken of your hair from the front makes it hard to tell what your hair type is and older pictures of your hair may not be reliable as hair type can change.

bananahanna
October 22nd, 2013, 11:07 PM
My hair is straight on one side and wavy on the other as well! Different parts of my hair are different types/textures so I just say 1c/2a.

this is what i think mine is too! it just doesn't show up much when it's short. it has some pretty definable waves when it gets past apl.

Also looking at lots of pictures of people determining hair types, it doesn't seem like there's a standard: some hair is referred to as 2B looks straighter than mine, and other times i'll see someone with 1B hair that looks as wavy as mine. I need some solid definition.

bananahanna
October 22nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
bananahanna, I think the best thing for you to do so we can help you is to wash your hair as you normally do (you can use conditioner after you shampoo your hair) and then let it dry without touching it and then take picture of your hair from the back. The picture you have taken of your hair from the front makes it hard to tell what your hair type is and older pictures of your hair may not be reliable as hair type can change.

Ok! i'll do this right now

Panth
October 23rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
See here for hair typing instructions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252).

In particular, note:

How do I find out my hair type?

Wash your hair as you usually do. You do not need to use other products, clarify or change your regular routine. The hair type which really matters is the one you are dealing with day to day and not so much the one you could have if you just clarified. Of course your true natural hair type will come out most when your hair is absolutely clean from all product leftovers and it's also neat to know how much different routines alter ones hair type, but clarifying is not a necessary requirement to type your hair.

Let your hair air dry with the least amount of detangling you can manage to do. Detangling before washing and while your hair is still wet is totally fine, just avoid doing it (as much as reasonably possible) during the time it is air drying. Finger combing, combing and brushing during that time will change the structure of your hair you are just trying to discover. Not all hair types can manage to dry totally untouched, still it's best to keep it to a minimum to avoid changing the results.

bananahanna
October 23rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/awdf7b.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/aayvpk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/6yobdh.jpg

completely untouched.

The back was not notable or noticeable because it is only about 4 inches long.

Rio040113
October 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'd take a guess at 1b/1c, it's a little hard to tell with it being short (plus it looks damp still at the back?). As it grows you'll probably find the weight of your hair will pull it a little straighter anyway :)

BlazingHeart
October 23rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
I'd guess that 1c is roughly right, but it can be hard to tell with shorter hair. My hair looks a lot like the pic in the op when it's that length, because my waves don't start until about ear level and tend to get smoothed out in the front. I am much wavier at apl than I am at shoulder.

ravenheather
October 23rd, 2013, 08:09 PM
My hair is straight with a flip above shoulder. My 2a waves don't appear til below shoulder. I would call it 1c for now and retype about apl.

bananahanna
October 24th, 2013, 01:03 AM
My hair is straight with a flip above shoulder. My 2a waves don't appear til below shoulder. I would call it 1c for now and retype about apl.

I'd guess that 1c is roughly right, but it can be hard to tell with shorter hair. My hair looks a lot like the pic in the op when it's that length, because my waves don't start until about ear level and tend to get smoothed out in the front. I am much wavier at apl than I am at shoulder.

yeah that's what I was thinking, too! pictures from when it was long always looked 2a to me and the waves don't show until later on: APL-BSl. Thanks everyone! I'll definitely change stats to 1c and retype in 6-9 months when I'm past APL (: