PDA

View Full Version : Do men oil?

epiphanee
September 5th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Are there any guys here who oil their hair? Light oiling, heavy oiling, any oiling at all?

I went to Barcelona earlier this year and many young guys had oiled/greased hair. Once chap (the concierge) said that he put olive oil in his hair as a styling thing to keep it in control and to keep it thick and strong.

Other than in India of 20 years ago, I haven't come across guys wearing oil in their hair and I am curious about whether any of the LHC chaps do a deep, pre-wash oiling and if so, what if any reactions they have had to this from others.

So guys, do you oil up?

bunnii
September 5th, 2008, 04:53 AM
My BF will oil if I remember and do it for him :lol: but he moans the whole time so I tend not to bother :p

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
My husband has longish hair (below shoulder length right now) and does not, but he has pin straight hair and a VERY oily scalp. If he goes two days without washing he looks really stringy.

saman
September 5th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I use coconut oil but not very often and I'm happy with the result whenever I use it.I haven't had any special reactions from others maybe because of light oiling.I haven't tried olive oil but I want to try it once and see the result.

biggeorge
September 5th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I will use olive oil or coconut oil a couple of hours prior to a wash, but not after a wash. I tried it one time and my hair was a grease slick. I also have straight fine hair, and have to wash daily.

EdG
September 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
My hair gets pretty oily, so I haven't felt a need to apply oil.
Ed

Ranee
September 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
My father always uses coconut oil (he's indian), but he's the only guy I know that oils. It kept his hair pitch black till the age of 60 (he uses chemical dye now.)

karenpetal
September 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Before LHC I never oiled but I have started oiling - I oil before every wash - If I have to leave it in for work I use cocnut but else use my mix of olive and jojoba

Gumball
September 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I've used jojoba, olive oil and coconut oil. At the moment the phase is - and has been for some time - coconut oil. I do it occasionally when I feel my hair needs it, but if I do it too often this environment just results in lint getting caught in my hair and extra time spent going through the ensuing tangles. Still when I do use it it's quite nice.

Les
September 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Yes. I give my hair a light treatment with jojoba after every wash.

rockkcor
September 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yes - it is hard to comb less it is oiled...
I use something 'Semi di Lino' probably linen oil for hair...
When I had short hair I used all sorts of grease to keep it in place - shorter hair was much more trouble in my case...

jtl45
September 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Never!!!!
Jim :)

epiphanee
September 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Why not Jim? If you don't mind me asking.

epiphanee
September 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Rockkcor Semi di Lino...is that Flaxseed oil?

Is that something that is traditionally used by men in your country on their hair?

Medvssa
September 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I am from Barcelona and I didn't ever met a man who oiled their hair (most of my friends were metalheads :p maybe that's why? hehe), but products like gels seem quite popular among the shortish haired male population.

My boyfriend has hip lenght hair and oils his ends almost daily (jojoba). It was my suggestion but he didn't need much pushing, at a certain lenght his hair needs it.

Euphony
September 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
My son has 3a hair that's about apl when pulled straight. He asks me about different things and one he was interested in was camellia oil, he used some of mine and liked it. Now he has his own bottle and uses a few drops after every washing.

Shypii90
September 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah I oil my hair at least once a week.
My hair isn't very long at all; collar length when pulled straight?
It depends what I use.
Before swimming in the salty Mediterranean sea I coat my hair in coconut oil.
Before shampooing I put on a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
However the olive oil finished now, so all I have is coconut which is half finished. I have to get different oils... I only tried those two and they work great! :)

driven fool
September 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I might consider oiling when my hair gets longer, right now it is only about 2 inches long on the top of my head.

justgreen
September 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Never!!!!
Jim :)

Hey Jim! Looking good, as always!:D

Tangles
September 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Haha, I'd love to meet a guy with shoulder length hair who oils it lightly. Sounds hot. Or do I sound like a freak? ;)

Euphony
September 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Haha, I'd love to meet a guy with shoulder length hair who oils it lightly. Sounds hot. Or do I sound like a freak? ;)
mwahahahaha if you read my other post in this thread you'll understand when I say "OMG NOOOOOOOOOO" that's what went through my head ROFLMAO (he's 17)

thankyousir74
September 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry for the possible thread hijack...

My father always uses coconut oil (he's indian), but he's the only guy I know that oils. It kept his hair pitch black till the age of 60 (he uses chemical dye now.)

So oil *does* make hair darker? I thought that was just my mom with her folk hair tales....

thankyousir74
September 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Oh! and my DBF does not oil his hair (yet.. muahaha) but he does use avocado/egg treatments occasionally.

purplebubba
September 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
About one time per month I dab Jojoba on. When I remember.

jessie58
September 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
My husband oils since I became a member of this board. I made him try my oils and he likes them and uses them. He brought back a bunch of oil concoctions from South Africa that the men wear over there too. I haven't checked what was in them though but some of the older men seem to oil over there.

alligatorbaby23
September 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
My ex loved to oil his hair. Well, eat it or put it in his hair. Coconut oil specifically. And no, Tangles, it is dead sexy, in a preening sort of way. (for grown men, that is Euphony! )
Grr.

Alun
September 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Sometimes, very occasionally, I will apply olive oil before washing.

GlassEyes
September 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yep. I do the whole LHC shebang.

I wouldn't if my hair were easier to manage, but this is actually the easiest way I've ever maintained my hair, so it pleases me.

terriej
September 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Growing up, a lot of the Mexican guys in my neighborhood used Three Flowers (Tres Flores), but it's made from mineral oil. I do remember that it smelled really nice though.

epiphanee
September 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
terriej wrote
a lot of the Mexican guys in my neighborhood used Three Flowers (Tres Flores)

Aw, that's so sweet.

I wonder if guys think its "sissy" to use oils or if they simply haven't considered oiling. DBF loves me oiling his hair (and massaging his scalp and neck).

thankyousir74 wrote
he does use avocado/egg treatments occasionally

Wow! That's great! I never thought one could get a man to put that goop on his bonce, LOL. Did he want to do this or did you persuade him?