PDA

View Full Version : People with fine and dense hair, come forth!

jupiterinleo
October 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
I feel like I have a weird hair type--not super thick, I'm just into the iii category at 4.2" but it's still a whole lot. I haven't seen a lot of people around here who have fine, yet very dense hair. Maybe you guys are just hiding. :pinktongue:

Anywho, do you guys find/have found it difficult to find a hair care method that worked for you? Like, I found it pretty hard to figure out how my hair wants to be treated. With some methods I almost had to be rough with it just to get it clean (using lots of cleaning agents... so much hair!) but it also breaks easily. The tiniest amount of oil is great to smooth it, but you need a good amount to get through all the hairs, yet one-half drop too much and it's soaked... these conundrums would drive me nuts.
Luckily I finally found something that works for me, after years of trying out natural cleaning methods, turns out it likes plain old shampoo & conditioner best. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone out there who shares my pain, or would like to share some tips on whatever works for you?

Kaelee
October 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Lol yep! Fine and dense here! Not sure I qualify as "thick" based on ponytail circumference, but my braid is as thick as my arm. It makes updos challenging to say the least.

I haven't had too many issues figuring out how to care for it, though. I guess maybe I figured it out long enough ago that I don't recall having any issues. :shrug:

vindo
October 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Not me, but I think my sister would fall into that category with a 3.5" ponytail and rather fine hair (not very fine).
She mostly complains about nape knots but found a product that works.

BowTie
October 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM
I have hair like that :) My single hair is very thin, almost transparent but I have lots and lots of it. When combing/brushing I have to separate it in around 6 sections. Also oiling takes some time. As you said you need to time put it all over your ends but at the same be careful you don't put too much :D

DweamGoiL
October 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
My hair is like that as well. It is also wavy. I find the most challenging part is balancing enough moisture with products that don't weigh my hair down. I tipically apply any styling product or oil to the length never the crown unless I want it all to be smushed at the top of my head.

Mainesongbird
October 21st, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'm here! I have fine hair, but I am at 4.2" as well. I have oil issues and a dry scalp...go figure! I switch between a harsher sulfate shampoo and herbal essences and an organic argan oil shampoo/conditioner. Sometimes in the summer I use leave in conditioner. It is sometimes hard to do styles because our hair is slippery and thick! =)

jupiterinleo
October 21st, 2013, 02:11 PM
It is sometimes hard to do styles because our hair is slippery and thick! =)

Yeah! I just started using hairsticks and I'm finding I have a pretty hard time making most buns. There's just... so much, haha.

jeanniet
October 21st, 2013, 03:04 PM
My hair is fine, but not super fine, and there's lots of it (5" pony). I do curly girl, so CO wash and then use a leave and gel/jelly to set the curls. It takes a LOT of product to weigh my hair down, which I guess is an advantage. I do shampoo from time to time, but not often.

lapushka
October 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I feel like I have a weird hair type--not super thick, I'm just into the iii category at 4.2" but it's still a whole lot. I haven't seen a lot of people around here who have fine, yet very dense hair. Maybe you guys are just hiding. :pinktongue:

You might want to take a look at the fine and thick hair thread. It's around here somewhere. ;)

As far as cleansing goes. We use a palmful of shampoo for the back of the head. A palmful for the top of the head, and another palmful spread over the sides. This is to make sure it all is coated well. It also produces a lather that can foam up twice, more if you rinse half out then refoam (technically: washing twice). It's a pretty good method for me. Because I'm also a wavy, my hair gets conditioned twice after shampooing, then afterwards we follow up with a leave-in and a serum (and some gel for styling).

jupiterinleo
October 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
You might want to take a look at the fine and thick hair thread. It's around here somewhere.

I didn't know there was one!
Also, I basically have the same routine: lots of diluted shampoo, lots of leave-in. It's the only way to tame the beast.

Panth
October 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
For your delectation: the fine and thick hair thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24724).

bethruan
October 23rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new to LHC. I think i would fall into this catagory (Not sure. Ponytail measure at 2.5"), but when i run my hand through my hair, it feels very dense and so fluffy when i had my hair down. Finally found a hair routine that works for me (Yay! :D) I only wash my hair 3 times a week (oppose to washing daily before), and using aloe vera gel to tame fly away.

Panth
October 23rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new to LHC. I think i would fall into this catagory (Not sure. Ponytail measure at 2.5"), but when i run my hand through my hair, it feels very dense and so fluffy when i had my hair down. Finally found a hair routine that works for me (Yay! :D) I only wash my hair 3 times a week (oppose to washing daily before), and using aloe vera gel to tame fly away.

2.5" ponytail comes in at medium thickness. (Thin is <2", medium is 2"-4" and thick is >4".) The fluffiness may be from your hair being wavy/curly.

I'm glad you've got a good routine (sometimes that is such a battle!). Welcome to the LHC!

bunzfan
October 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Think I belong here pony tail measures 3.8" thickness.

Ashflower89
October 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm terrible at typing my hair because I don't know enough to compare it to other types, but I've been told several times at the hair salon that I have fine hair, but lots of it. So I guess that qualifies as fine + dense(Hair is too short to check ponytail diameter. Figuring out what makes my hair happy can be a pain. I've had that same issue with oils, always too much or too little, so I get very exact with the way I apply it, or just apply it to ends only and use my BBB. I also tried the Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar method for two months and my hair hated it, so it seems happy with plain shampoo/conditioner as well.

My hair routine is a poo/con every 3 days, and con only on the days in between, Its a 10 leave-in con applied all over and extra on the ends daily, and Argan Oil renewing treatment once a week for 3-4 hours. My hair seems decently happy with this, I can't stretch the washes any more than 3 days though due to a gross factory job. The poor hair is stuffed under a bandana every night at work.

magfish
October 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Chiming in! Some of my individual hairs are so fine I can barely see them (and they're black too!), but some of them are more medium thickness. Even though my hair is all cut into layers (ugh) right now, my ponytail is still basically 4". Mainly I get a ton of poofyness and frizz, and I'd agree, the hardest part is staying moisturized without weighing my hair down (which even though I have very low porosity it happens pretty quick).

see_turtle
October 23rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
I believe my hair is this as well....I have a 4" pony but don't consider my hair "thick" I also get told by hair dressers I have a lot of thin hair.

Kaelee
October 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I think the ponytail circumference can be misleading- fine hair, especially straight fine hair, squishes down a lot into a small space. So you can have a TON of hair, but not that big of a ponytail circumference. And curlies probably have the opposite effect, I'm guessing- Larger circumference without that much hair.

maskedrose
October 23rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
I definitely fall into this category, although I'm not super thick (ponytail circ. ranges between 3.5 and 3.75"). Its crazy how much the volume can change from one wash day to the next, and how easily I can compress it into a small bun. I do wish it had more heaviness, rather than being floaty. My individual hairs are super fine, and prone to breakage, especially on the bits that still have highlight damage. It can be a challenge, for sure!

GabrielleRose
October 24th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Not me, but I think my sister would fall into that category with a 3.5" ponytail and rather fine hair (not very fine).
She mostly complains about nape knots but found a product that works.

What is the product your sister uses for nape knots if you don't mind me asking?

sagremus
October 24th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Yes, I have fine and thick hair. My hair is very fine, with a slight wave. My pony tail 4.5 inches in circumference, not counting some layers. I also have some breakage from bleaching (my underside of hair is bleached). It is a beast. I have a dry scalp and dry ends. I need to use a sulfate shampoo to help cut the grease, in addition to removing the silicones which my hair loves.

My hair is so fine, it is fragile and is easy damaged by heat or mechanical damage. It also likes to break around the hair line. I avoid all heat like the plague.

It is hard to tame into styles because it spits out hair toys because it is slippery and thick. It hurts to wear up, and tugs at the hairline.

I wash my hair about once a week. I do coconut oil before this, for as long as I can stand it. I try to wear my hair up in a silk scarf at bedtime. Each day I brush once with a tangle teezer to remove sheds distribute oil, and detangle. I will wear in side-braids or a pony tail (trying to avoid this). I apply jojoba oil or a leave-in conditioner as my ends get very dry throughout the week.

vindo
October 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM
What is the product your sister uses for nape knots if you don't mind me asking?

She said she is using Aldi Shampoo now, so it must be this:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/health-beauty/carino-hair-care/carino-hair-care-product-detail-page/ps/p/shampooconditionerr/

lapushka
October 24th, 2013, 03:28 PM
She said she is using Aldi Shampoo now, so it must be this:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/health-beauty/carino-hair-care/carino-hair-care-product-detail-page/ps/p/shampooconditionerr/

Amazing how Aldi products can vary from country to country. We have "Mildeen" and "Kyrell" shampoos/conditioners (Belgium).

But talking about my density... My ponytail is 4.25" in circumference. I've gotten the same comments from hairdressers all the time. At first they look at my hair, and say it's fine, then then run their fingers through at the sink or try and comb it and I always got the remark that there's so much of it!

It can be quite tough to handle, that's why I've gone back to layers. iii hair loves layers, that's for damn sure! :D

vindo
October 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Amazing how Aldi products can vary from country to country. We have "Mildeen" and "Kyrell" shampoos/conditioners (Belgium).

Oh if they do then my sister is probably using something else because we are in Germany. I was just trying to pull up an English site :/

meteor
October 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I just had a trim of a few inches, and the hairdresser said that my hair is fine and very dense. I do have some coarse/medium hair at the bottom and it's a breeze to handle (no tangling problems at all). But most of my hair is fine and tangly and I'm constantly looking for new detangling tips and products.
I agree that such hair can take quite a lot of oil without looking greasy and we can generally get away with stretching washes pretty well. I think it takes more sebum/oil to coat and protect such hair.

jeanniet
October 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I think the ponytail circumference can be misleading- fine hair, especially straight fine hair, squishes down a lot into a small space. So you can have a TON of hair, but not that big of a ponytail circumference. And curlies probably have the opposite effect, I'm guessing- Larger circumference without that much hair.

I don't think curly makes a difference if you compress. I get about the same measurement whether my hair is brushed out straight or not. Agree about fine hair and circumference being misleading, though. If you have hair that's fine enough so three hairs equal one coarse hair, then obviously ponytail measurement really isn't an accurate description of the density of hair.