PDA

View Full Version : Why does Philip Kingsley recommend daily shampooing?

verenikiscoma
October 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
So I was talking to a friend who was trying to convince me that I should shampoo everyday even though my hair is perfectly happy shampooing once or twice a week. Her argument was: Philip Kingsley says so on his website. I understand he is very famous in his field and I did look it up but I can't help but think if I don't need it then it is a bit of an overkill.

Here is the link:
http://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/hair-guide/hair-care-styling/why-we-recommend-daily-shampooing/

If I shampoo everyday bad things happen. Trust me... So is he trying to generalise and give a one-fits-all advice, have I got it all wrong or is he trying to sell a lot of shampoo (sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic...)?

In2wishin
October 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
I think he probably uses so much gloop, forgive me "product", on his clients' hair that it needs to be washed off daily.

red-again
October 21st, 2013, 07:43 AM
I don't rate his page/ website at all! Have a look at the blow drying bit. He actually says heat only damages already dried hair.
Not a. Place I'd pay much attention to or seek opinions and knowledge from!

donnalouise
October 21st, 2013, 07:44 AM
My hair hates daily washing, this article does very much look like one big advertisement for his products. Actually, i don't remember ever washing my hair daily, only every other day at the most, and that was bad enough. My hair is long and very healthy with just 1 wash a week, 2 at most. That's all that matters to me.

And, talking of 'face washing', i only use soap on my face once or twice a week too, as well as my hair, also with good results. Daily, i just use good old plain water and my skin really thanks me for it and i don't get acne anymore. I don't use creams or anything on my face, just daily water plus a once-weekly soap. A lot of 'wisdom' around skin care is just as bad as the hair stuff, "wash with harsh soap, then apply lots of cream to stop dryness" etc etc sounds much like "wash daily, use lots of daily conditioner to cover up the problems" presented in this article.

verenikiscoma
October 21st, 2013, 07:50 AM
I completely agree with everyone, I was just so surprised how someone who supposedly is all about hair health will advise such harsh treatment!

I don't blow dry but after re-again pointed it out I went and looked at the advice there. It sort of defies common sense...

Thanks for looking it up with me! Confidence in self restored!

Kaelee
October 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM
I take celebrity hair "experts" with a grain dump truck full of salt personally.

Personally my hair does really well with daily washing (which I do in no small part because of my job being greasy and messy and not wanting that in my hair or bedding.) but not everyone's hair type is the same or reacts the same.

Madora
October 21st, 2013, 08:09 AM
If you use his products, he laughs all the way to the bank...regardless of what daily shampooing can do to your hair.

Daily shampooing will eventually leave your hair looking like straw...unless you take steps to restore what you've lost in the shampooing process.

shutterpillar
October 21st, 2013, 08:11 AM
I have no idea who he is, but there are some people who do need to shampoo daily, just like there are some people who don't use shampoo at all. We are all individuals with individual hair care needs.

PrincessIdril
October 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
http://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/shampoo.html

That's why.

sarahthegemini
October 21st, 2013, 09:12 AM
I think he talks absolute rubbish, "correct blowdrying doesn't damage hair" Erm, really?!

ositarosita
October 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
"•Daily shampooing hydrates your hair" ... taken directly from his page..... the man is a dumbas** .. water hydrates oil seals shampoo or conditioner cleanse (depending on your routine) ... your hair is happy your scalp is happy so just keep doing what you're doing

Rio040113
October 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Never even heard of this guy and I don't think that's a bad thing... :D

Fairlight63
October 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
I never heard of him either. If I shampooed my hair everyday, I don't think that I would have any hair left on my head. I shamp. once a week & my hair is just fine with that. Any more than that & my hair would be so dried out - it would be like straw.

ladonna
October 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Shampoo is my main cause of dried out hair and slpit ends, I can only shampoo every 2 weeks at the soonest without damaging my hair.

WilfredAllen
October 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
You take your hair and scalp to the same places you take your face, and it gets just as dirty. If your hair is coated in dirt it doesn’t reflect light as well and so will not be as shiny. Skin an hair are pretty incomparable. and I wouldn't use shampoo on my face anyways - my skin very, very rarely gets dirty enough that I need more that just water to clean it. If my hair was coated in dirt, yes, it would be less shiny, yes, but I simply can't remember the last time it was coated in dirt. And even then, what cleanser, if any, I would be variable on the substance that was coating my hair - 'dirt' is pretty non - specific, and actual soil would just rinse out

When your scalp is clean, your hair is encouraged to grow at its optimum rate. I can't argue with that, but I really don't think shampoo is necessary on daily basis to have a clean scalp
Build-up of oils and grime on your scalp can lead to dandruff and clogged follicles – both conditions which can affect your rate of hair growth and also your hair’s general appearance. again, I can't argue with that. But daily shampooing (especially with SLS) irritate and dry the scalp which will cause it to produce more oil. Use of shampoo for this purpose would be redundant. I can't speak to "grime", because I have no idea what that is, but oils tend to move down the hair if you leave them long than a day anyways

If you are already prone to dandruff and a flaky/itchy scalp, daily shampooing helps to remove the excess skin and clear up visible flakes. This is especially true if you use a shampoo specifically formulated to clear dandruff. true, it will remove dandruff. It also may cause dandruff, which makes the product redundant in many cases

Daily shampooing hydrates your hair. It is in fact moisture (water), not oil, content that keeps your hair supple and elastic.The two sentences are irrelevant to each other at best. I guess there is water in shampoo, but washing with water only would contain water too, so if you could make your hair absorb moisture just by washing it (which I do doubt), using shampoo would make no difference. Oil/sebum seal moisture in so removing oil potentially dehydrates hair. Maybe on a rare occasion you're removing oil to add moisture and then adding oil to seal it back in, but that wouldn't support an argument for daily shampooing

Daily shampooing encourages the use of a daily conditioner, which will help keep your hair shiny and tangle free. Conditioning also smooths your hairs’ cuticles, which helps to protect your cortex from damage and dryness. Encouraging doesn't make it a necessary condition. Plus if shampoo is causing raised cuticles, damage and dryness, the whole process is irrelevant

We understand that it isn’t realistic for everyone to wash their hair daily due to lack of time – this is particularly true if you have very unruly, curly and hard-to-control hair. If daily shampooing isn’t possible, we recommend every other day, or at least using a scalp toner on the days in between to help keep your scalp in better condition and to discourage the growth of bacteria. pretty sure skin is supposed to have bacteria on it. And if you have a colony of bacteria on your head that's not supposed to be there, you should probably talk to your doctor about it. If you had an open wound on your scalp, yes, then you should be cleaning the wound every day to prevent bacterial infection

His argument basically consists of a series of true but irrelevant sentences.

AmyBeth
October 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have no idea who he is, but there are some people who do need to shampoo daily, just like there are some people who don't use shampoo at all. We are all individuals with individual hair care needs.

This.:shrug:

bunzfan
October 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
He's a popular brit hair stylist/ Trichologist but his shampoo products are absolute poo!! i used to be in hairdressing and i can tell you this is all to get people to use more of his products we never advised daily shampooing ever!! a good friend also stylist actually said to me recently dont wash your hair more than twice a week which i dont anyway and i didn't need the advise :lol:

misspurdy06
October 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Sells more shampoo.

renarok
October 21st, 2013, 12:40 PM
His advise probably works fantastic for people who have short hair and use heat to style it. Long hair care and short hair care is really apples and oranges. If I had a short asymetrical bob and only washed my hair every week or two it would look bad. There is nothing wrong with short hair styles. To each their own.

Panth
October 21st, 2013, 01:57 PM
There is one very, very simple reason: his shampoo is between £13.50 and £20.50 PER BOTTLE. Daily washing makes Phillip Kingsley a very rich man.

(Also, he seems to think hair comes in 4 types: "fine", "medium", "coarse" and "African Caribbean". Because hair shaft diameter and hair texture are the same thing, right?)

bunnylake
October 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
I shampoo daily. I must. I love to. My scalp get oily by the second day, and my roots fall flat and dull even before that. I have tried stretching washes so many times, so many methods... forget it, it's not for everyone. Definitely not for me! I even use sulfates. My hair is tailbone length and in great shape. So, daily washing isn't "evil"...

Morphidae
October 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
If you use his products, he laughs all the way to the bank...regardless of what daily shampooing can do to your hair.

Daily shampooing will eventually leave your hair looking like straw...unless you take steps to restore what you've lost in the shampooing process.
When I was in highschool, I used to shampoo my hair daily. I had classic hair. Very thick. I don't know what the heck I did differently back then. Or maybe I was just youth. Stupid adolescence and its hormones. I think then is when it all went to the drain... Literally haha

renia22
October 21st, 2013, 03:43 PM
I shampoo daily. I must. I love to. My scalp get oily by the second day, and my roots fall flat and dull even before that. I have tried stretching washes so many times, so many methods... forget it, it's not for everyone. Definitely not for me! I even use sulfates. My hair is tailbone length and in great shape. So, daily washing isn't "evil"...

It sounds like we have similar hair, bunnylake (although mine is not as long, and probably not as nice as yours). If someone's hair needs washing, I see nothing wrong with washing it.

jeanniet
October 21st, 2013, 04:01 PM
It sounds like we have similar hair, bunnylake (although mine is not as long, and probably not as nice as yours). If someone's hair needs washing, I see nothing wrong with washing it.

There's nothing wrong with washing daily if you need to. But there is something wrong with saying everyone should wash every day. There is no such thing as one-size-fits all in terms of hair care, and he should know that.

donnalouise
October 21st, 2013, 04:04 PM
I think the issue here is that on the website, Kingsley suggests that it's the way to do things, to wash daily. No one is saying there is an issue with daily washing, just the opposite, everyone has different needs and ways of doing things that suit their hair best, daily washing, weekly washing, water only washing, conditioner only washing, it's not as simplistic as saying "wash daily" or "don't wash daily". But, i suspect his target audience isn't long hairs like us..

renia22
October 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with washing daily if you need to. But there is something wrong with saying everyone should wash every day. There is no such thing as one-size-fits all in terms of hair care, and he should know that.

I agree. This site does tend to encourage stretching washes & discourages certain ingredients, though, which isn't going to work for everyone so I think it's good that people who had failure in that speak up.

lapushka
October 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Who cares what he says. He's just trying to push product.

bunnylake
October 21st, 2013, 05:09 PM
I agree. This site does tend to encourage stretching washes & discourages certain ingredients, though, which isn't going to work for everyone so I think it's good that people who had failure in that speak up.

Yeah. I feel like a total weirdo here sometimes because of what my hair & scalp prefer. I know that's not actually the case, but let's face it... us daily washers (with sulfates! and silicones! aah!) are kind of like black sheep.

renia22
October 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM
Yeah. I feel like a total weirdo here sometimes because of what my hair & scalp prefer. I know that's not actually the case, but let's face it... us daily washers (with sulfates! and silicones! aah!) are kind of like black sheep.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af318/farmvillehelp/animals/sheep_black_happy1.png (http://media.photobucket.com/user/farmvillehelp/media/animals/sheep_black_happy1.png.html)

"I use sulfates & silicones and don't stretch washes"

littlemonster
October 21st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Most hairstylists advice are designed for if you're between pixie and chin length, to around shoulder max, lots of layers, cut a load off every 6 weeks, dry out with shampoo, soak in cones, add 300 coney products, wash, rinse, repeat, for products that are priced highly and won't last too long, so you have to buy lots.

They don't make much money off longhairs who are gentle to their hair and only shampoo weekly, or people who CO-wash. Obviously, some longhairs shampoo daily, but my guess is they also don't buy his products :D

The main thing to remember in life is that companies aren't there to help you do what's best for you, they just want to make money. There's a few exceptions, but it's best if you take that as standard and just become pleasantly surprised when once in a blue moon you meet people who are different.

On a side note, as an early teenager when all of my friends were using daily face washes and scrubs and the expensive moisturisers, my Mum basically heavily suggested I only use soaps at all once a week or so, the rest of the time just use hot water, let the flannel exfoliate, then rinse with cold. Never had the normal problem teenage skin despite it being sensitive and awkward Hardly any spots. I used fairly gentle ones when I did. So I think the same applies to hair and face - stripping then replenishing doesn't always do much good. Some people may need to, but for most it's not needed. I've noticed CO washing works for me the same way. I still only use washes on my face 1-2 times a week at most, once being exfoliation which gets rid of my dead dry skin so it can accept moisture. Shame Mum didn't apply the same logic to shampoo/conditioning regimes :D

WilfredAllen
October 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
There is one very, very simple reason: his shampoo is between £13.50 and £20.50 PER BOTTLE. Daily washing makes Phillip Kingsley a very rich man.

(Also, he seems to think hair comes in 4 types: "fine", "medium", "coarse" and "African Caribbean". Because hair shaft diameter and hair texture are the same thing, right?)

it's also either short or "past shoulder". And the processing can be none, little or "regular". I think it's funny that you can't have long hair, and you're hair can never be highly processed (or even too processed *gasp*) - only "regular". The wording of these options normalizes short, processed hair.

YamaMaya
October 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
He's in the hair business, and he wants to sell hair products, which require shampoo, which he just so happens to sell as well. It's so transparent it may as well not even be there. The only reason for daily shampooing is daily heavy use of product. If I were to shampoo every day, my hair would frizz like there's no tomorrow. I used to have a terrible time with frizz until I just stopped washing my hair so much.

JuskarBellerose
October 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I admit, I shampoo and condition my hair everyday! If I don't, then my scalp will irritate me. It is safe to shampoo daily as long as it's not a clarifying shampoo. I do use a clarifying shampoo, but only once a month when I do a protein treatment. I oil my hair with coconut oil once a week, for 30 minutes. Unfortunately, after the surgery on my ear, I haven't been able to do any of those treatments for my hair. :( I actually noticed better growth after beginning the daily shampoo and conditioner routine. My theory is that my pores on my scalp were clogged by the excess oils, that the new growth couldn't push through. Everyone's hair is different. Some can take the heat, others can't. Also, I don't use cool/warm water after the conditioner. I broke all of the rules! :D

Anje
October 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
To be honest, if I shampooed every day with sulfates, I'd need to shampoo every day with sulfates because my scalp would get so greasy to try to compensate. I'm practically the model for skin and scalp that react to dryness by getting greasy, and when I use gentler methods less frequently and moisturize my skin, it produces a lot less oil. (Naturally, this requires transition time.) Some people who think they have to shampoo daily are like this, others aren't, and it often takes experimentation to determine what category you're in.

On-topic, why Kingley recommends this? I tend to agree with the general consensus of it being a combination of selling his own products and the fact that people who listen to his styling advice are probably also dumping tons of gunk in their hair that needs to be washed out daily. Not to mention, if you're styling your hair, you probably want to refresh it daily so that it looks really fresh. You can't do that with yesterday's gunk in there. If you're putting your hair up without handfuls of gunk, it'll look similarly great several days in a row.

JuskarBellerose
October 24th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Like I said, everyone's hair is different. I used to try going a couple days without shampoo, but then I found myself scratching my head every 5 minutes. :( Ever since I was a kid, I would shampoo my hair everyday without any trouble afterwards. When I turned 15, I wanted to grow my hair out from SL to WL. In desperation for longer hair,I started shampooing my hair less, and oiling my hair more. I didn't get any progress.. The only results that I had were dry hair, breakage, and less growth. Natural oils from my scalp are great, but too much can be problematic for me. :/ I'm a bit jealous of those who don't have a problem skipping a wash or two! It saves so much money and time.

renia22
October 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
It is safe to shampoo daily

It should be fine as long as you are adding moisture & being mindful of mechanical damage:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/02/20/heres-another-beauty-myth-buster/

starlamelissa
October 25th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Daily shampooing is necessary for some people. Nothing wrong with that. I think my hair grows faster if it's washed more.

Marika
October 25th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I have actually used some of his products and can't recommend them at all = dry and plastic-y hair! Daily shampooing dries out my hair but it actually likes daily CO washing. I'm just too lazy to do it every day!:p

09robiha
October 25th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Daily shampooing is necessary for some people. Nothing wrong with that. I think my hair grows faster if it's washed more.

I think this as well for my hair. Not so much shampooing but it likes water on it everyday, some leave in conditioner...it just stays nice and moisturized. Moisture = happy hair = less tangles and less trimming!

starlamelissa
October 25th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Another famous trichologist Lisa akbari recommends daily shampooing with a clarifying shampoo, applied to the scalp only, and fully rinsed.

Kaelee
October 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
It should be fine as long as you are adding moisture & being mindful of mechanical damage:

I've washed my hair daily for YEARS. Haven't seen any ill effect from doing so. It's in better shape now than it ever was!

Panth
October 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM

That should really be "fine for some people". Hygral fatigue (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/08/does-your-hair-have-hygral-fatigue.html) is real and, depending on your hairtype, daily washing may cause sufficient hygral fatigue to result in visible damage over time. Of course, other people have hair that is more resistant and thus the damage never reaches a visible/tangible level. Lucky them... :p

renia22
October 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
That should really be "fine for some people". Hygral fatigue (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/08/does-your-hair-have-hygral-fatigue.html) is real and, depending on your hairtype, daily washing may cause sufficient hygral fatigue to result in visible damage over time. Of course, other people have hair that is more resistant and thus the damage never reaches a visible/tangible level. Lucky them... :p

^^ That wasn't so much a personal opinion as much me reporting what certain trichologists and scientists say on the matter, but *yes*, it's a good idea to be mindful and to pay attention to your own experience!