PDA

View Full Version : My hair has been growing a bit less than 1/3" a month

massivecnqstdr
October 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I have always had slow growing hair, but I feel like the last 6 months or so have just been ridiculous. Should I go to a doctor? Is there anything they could do? I am eating a really well-rounded and balanced diet, however, I know that I don't eat quite enough calories for my activity level. I just don't have a huge appetite and the things I do want to eat tend to be relatively lean. Not sure if that's related or not. I just need advice and support, because I am so close to just giving up on growing out my hair for the 3rd time!

mscm
October 20th, 2013, 08:01 PM
You should do some research about the growing phases of the hair. Maybe your hair is in rest-mode now and then the growth seem really slow. Be patient and it will grow, im sure, the diet is really important and also good routines for hair. :)

Magalo
October 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Calories deficit could very much be the problem. Your body needs to make your heart, brain and vital organs works... hair is very low on the list of priority, and it's the first to miss out if you don't get enough energy!

0xalis
October 20th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Calorie deficit for sure! My hair suffered in the beginning of summer when my appetite dropped like a rock.

BlazingHeart
October 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Getting enough calories and good fats and protein are all important for growing hair, yup.

Also, if your normal growth is around 1/2" per month, you don't have slow growing hair, you have average growing hair. Hair just takes time.

prettyinpink
October 20th, 2013, 09:33 PM
The same thing happened to me. I had to have jaw surgery, and when they went in they found a sinus infection. the dr said it was bigger than a golf ball. I think that infections and sickness slows down hair growth. Have you been fighting off a cold? I probably sound silly :P

prettyinpink
October 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM
maybe you should think about seeing the doctor. i wish you the best of luck! :D

Naiadryade
October 21st, 2013, 12:01 AM
I agree that the low calorie intake could be an issue. Like has been said, hair is one of your body's last priorities when it comes to distributing energy and nutrients!

That said, castor oil (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265) massaged into my scalp every couple of nights has increased my growth some, and you might like to try it.

Panth
October 21st, 2013, 12:48 AM
You should do some research about the growing phases of the hair. Maybe your hair is in rest-mode now and then the growth seem really slow. Be patient and it will grow, im sure, the diet is really important and also good routines for hair. :)

Hair growth phases refer to the individual hair follicle, not the entire head. If that was the case and all our follicles were synchronous, periodically people would just shed their entire head of hair all at once and then slowly re-grow it all in (rather like when birds molt their feathers, but more complete).

I agree that a calorie deficit could be the cause - hair is low priority on the body's "to make and maintain" list and if there isn't enough nutrients and energy to go around then hair is one of the first things to show problems. Another possibility is that it is seasonal (autumn is a fairly common shed time here, but any season seems to be able to cause shedding in at least a few individuals). Another possibility is some sort of stress - probably about 3 months ago (as the stress would have stopped some of the follicles from being in anagen (growth) phase but it takes about 3 months from anagen stopping to go through catagen (transition) and telogen (resting) phase, when the hair shaft is actually shed). The stress could be anything - mental or physical - e.g. dieting, moderate to severe illness, surgery, bereavement, exams, excess exercise, etc.

Another entirely plausible possibility is that this simply is your growth rate. About 1/2" per month seems to be the average hair growth (on LHC), so having 1/3" or even 1/4" per month is entirely plausible as a natural growth rate.

alina11
October 21st, 2013, 12:50 AM
Yes you should go to the doctor. He tells you about your hair condition and which protein you should use.

Flor
October 21st, 2013, 01:14 AM
Yes you should go to the doctor. He tells you about your hair condition and which protein you should use.

Say what? Which protein you should use???

Flor
October 21st, 2013, 01:19 AM
massivecnqstdr, 1/3 inch a month is fine! I don't think you can correctly measure it with such accuracy anyway and often hair grows at different rate on different parts of the head, so you can't really judge it by a few outgrown roots (if that's the method you're using).

Doctors will be no help in this situation, unless you have other health issues that trouble you. You could always try supplementing with vitamins and fish oil, to see if it makes a difference. Head massages's been known to help, even without applying oil.

MaryO
October 21st, 2013, 05:15 AM
I also think my hair grows very slowly although, I haven't found anything that really helps and I've tried many things!

furnival
October 21st, 2013, 05:36 AM
Just because the average hair growth rate is 1/2" a month doesn't mean that there's something wrong with you if your hair grows faster or slower than this. The average growth rate is simply the one in the middle of a wide range of samples- it doesn't mean that everyone's hair grows 1/2" a month.
My hair grows about 1/4" a month, my sister's more like 3/4"- it's just the way it goes. :p

massivecnqstdr
October 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, I was judging by roots. I guess it's possible that my hair growth rate is just naturally slow - I just find it odd since most of my family's hair grows fast. Do you guys think it would help if I used protein shakes for gaining? I just don't have the appetite for more food, but I can usually talk myself into a beverage. Lately eating has been a chore for me. I have celiac, and sometimes I handle my restriction well, other times I get cranky and don't want to eat.

vindo
October 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
F

Only parts of the hair are in resting mode while other parts grow and another percentage shed. So we have hair growing, shedding and resting at the same time.

OP
So your hair grows almost 9mm a month right? That is only 1mm below average, which is 0.4" / 1cm inches (not 0.5 as most think, that is falsely converted because 10mm : 2.54 =3.937007874015748) :)

So you should still get growth and like others have said s good diet with lots of calories and nutrients is also very important and may also benefit growth.

massivecnqstdr
October 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Ok, I guess its not crazy far from average growth, but it's slow enough that people at work are commenting. Like "aren't you growing out your hair? it looks like you keep cutting it." I know that hair isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I've never had long hair and I really want to. I'm worried that if it grows slow enough, I won't be able to keep it healthy enough to get it long.

Flor
October 21st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Ok, I guess its not crazy far from average growth, but it's slow enough that people at work are commenting. Like "aren't you growing out your hair? it looks like you keep cutting it." I know that hair isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I've never had long hair and I really want to. I'm worried that if it grows slow enough, I won't be able to keep it healthy enough to get it long.

Oh, now I see where your doubt is coming from! Don't mind those silly comments, people don't know what the heck they're talking about.

And we all go through those phases of obsessing about something hair-related. Is it growing too slow, is it shedding too much, is it too greasy, is it too dry, why is it this texture and not the other, what is the best product to use, etc, etc, etc... Sometimes it's really best to just let it be :)

Vrindi
October 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
I was eating too few calories and noticed my nails and hair weren't growing as fast, despite eating very healthy foods. That could easily be the case. If you fill up quickly, try adding things like juice, or condiments like dressing or spreads on sandwiches. These can add calories without adding bulk and making you feel stuffed. Also, higher calorie healthy fruits and veggies like avocado, coconut, peanut butter, etc.

massivecnqstdr
October 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thank you all. I'm going to try and up my calories a little bit. If that doesn't change anything, I'll go to a doctor.

Kiwiwi
October 21st, 2013, 06:28 PM
All good advice here!

I want to add that I'm a slow grower too. For most of the year it's slow and for a few months in summer it grows a lot more and faster! Maybe you have this too. Some people grow faster in summer, some in autumn, some in winter, etc.