PDA

View Full Version : starting henna/indigo when scalp might be irritated from chemical dye?

CSallaround
October 20th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Mentioned to my mum today that I've been wondering if I should try some henna/indigo mix to make my hair stronger and she told me she's worried about dying her hair anymore because her scalp has become irritated with bumps around her hairline or some kind of rash. It's been 2 months since she last dyed her hair (chemical, never tried henna) but the 'rash' is still there. She can't think of any other reason that her scalp is acting this way.

She said she's heard somewhere that it can be risky to use henna if you've had a reaction to chemical dye. Couldn't think of anyone better to ask than the LHC of course :DAnyone of you know about this?
She doesn't want the grays so if henna isn't an option, is there an alternative that she can use to cover the grays?
Her hair is dark - brownish, she usually dyes it a similar color.

I'm sorry if the answer is elsewhere to be found, if so please send me a link :)

spidermom
October 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Let scalp heal before trying anything else.

Anje
October 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
This.

That said, if you use good henna and indigo, I don't think that there's likely to be a problem with cross-reactions. With dyes, PPD allergy is fairly common. Now some cheap henna, particularly the stuff you can get in stores that comes in different colors, can contain huge quantities of PPD, so she's right to be wary. Stay away from that stuff! But after everything is healed, patch-test some high quality henna and indigo, and try some strand tests on hair from her brush or drain-strainer.

CSallaround
October 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Would it be safe to try henna once it has healed?

CSallaround
October 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
This.

That said, if you use good henna and indigo, I don't think that there's likely to be a problem with cross-reactions. With dyes, PPD allergy is fairly common. Now some cheap henna, particularly the stuff you can get in stores that comes in different colors, can contain huge quantities of PPD, so she's right to be wary. Stay away from that stuff! But after everything is healed, patch-test some high quality henna and indigo, and try some strand tests on hair from her brush or drain-strainer.

Thanks. How long should the patch test stay on? I've heard that it's more likely to incite an allergic reaction when dye is left on skin for the 48 hours that are normally suggested.

Anje
October 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Without researching it, my inclination is to give it at least 24 hours, if possible, and wait a few days between the patch test and hair dyeing. The henna especially will cause a stain on your skin (at least, if it's any good it will), so the effective test will probably continue for quite a while after the paste has dried out and fallen off. People use henna all the time to make designs on their skin, so long exposures to it are very normal and expected -- this is very different stuff from conventional hair dye.

Yes, each exposure to a potential allergen can effectively give your body a chance to develop a new reaction to it, but better to end up with a small reaction at your patch test than all over your head! However, allergies to henna are fairly uncommon (compared to conventional hair dye, at least), and with all dye products used to cover gray, you're going to be exposing yourself fairly frequently anyway. Best to make sure it REALLY won't react.

cranberrymoonz
October 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Just came here to second that she is unlikely to have a reaction to pure henna or indigo. But it's best to do a test anyway to be sure and to try out the colour. Good luck to the both of you:)

Firefox7275
October 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Mentioned to my mum today that I've been wondering if I should try some henna/indigo mix to make my hair stronger and she told me she's worried about dying her hair anymore because her scalp has become irritated with bumps around her hairline or some kind of rash. It's been 2 months since she last dyed her hair (chemical, never tried henna) but the 'rash' is still there. She can't think of any other reason that her scalp is acting this way.

She said she's heard somewhere that it can be risky to use henna if you've had a reaction to chemical dye. Couldn't think of anyone better to ask than the LHC of course :DAnyone of you know about this?
She doesn't want the grays so if henna isn't an option, is there an alternative that she can use to cover the grays?
Her hair is dark - brownish, she usually dyes it a similar color.

I'm sorry if the answer is elsewhere to be found, if so please send me a link :)

Get the scalp issue diagnosed by her family doctor or a dermatologist, don't use natural or artificial chemicals beyond a super gentle cleansing product until then. Few here have any healthcare qualifications whatsoever.

stinkyfeet
October 21st, 2013, 12:55 PM
I would recommend for her to go to a dermatologist to have her "rash" evaluated. 2 months seems like a long time to have a rash.

RavennaNight
October 22nd, 2013, 05:54 AM
First, figure out the rash. Go to the doctor, have it examined.

Second, once it is healed 100%, I would patch test first to see if she has a reaction to henna and or indigo. She shouldn't, but people shouldn't be allergic to allergy drugs either and I am, deathly. So you never know, therefore do a patch test.

Only then, if there are no adverse reactions/rash, proceed.

AmyBeth
October 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Aside from the rash, I wanted to let you know that I have dark brown hair with 20-30% grey and cover completely with hendigo. And my hair is soooooo much stronger and thicker because of it.