PDA

View Full Version : Oil + canned coconut milk VS diluted tresemme conditioner as a leave in? Which?

lole18
October 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Which would you think would be better to help my hair be healthier? :) Normal scalp + extremely dry hair! thanks :)

Rio040113
October 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Like anything I guess it depends how you use the products and also on your own hair/what your hair needs. Do you have a specific type of oil in mind? I'd probably vote oil + coconut milk, although I've not used coconut milk before (I do love coconut oil though) :)

CurlyCap
October 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I mix oil and conditioner all the time.

I don't know about coconut milk. I've used it an ingredient in deep treatments, but never as a leave-in. I'd be worried about it going rancid.

Temme
October 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM
The coconut milk and oil would probably be more moisturizing because of the oil. Since you said you have extremely dry hair, I would guess that would be better. It would also be more natural (less chemicals and things that may be bad for your hair). On the other side, sometimes conditioner can be good because it's specifically formulated to work well at conditioning. You could always alternate. I think alternating products is really great because it gives your hair a wide variety of oils, nutrients, etc.

lole18
October 19th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Like anything I guess it depends how you use the products and also on your own hair/what your hair needs. Do you have a specific type of oil in mind? I'd probably vote oil + coconut milk, although I've not used coconut milk before (I do love coconut oil though) :)

My hair is very dry and breaks\falls A LOT! And i dont know i have both jojoba and olive oil i have very thin and fine hair which should be best?

I mix oil and conditioner all the time.

I don't know about coconut milk. I've used it an ingredient in deep treatments, but never as a leave-in. I'd be worried about it going rancid.

That's what i'm scared of as well

lole18
October 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM
The coconut milk and oil would probably be more moisturizing because of the oil. Since you said you have extremely dry hair, I would guess that would be better. It would also be more natural (less chemicals and things that may be bad for your hair). On the other side, sometimes conditioner can be good because it's specifically formulated to work well at conditioning. You could always alternate. I think alternating products is really great because it gives your hair a wide variety of oils, nutrients, etc.

Oh yes i think i'll do this it sounds like a good idea!

Rio040113
October 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM
My hair is very dry and breaks\falls A LOT! And i dont know i have both jojoba and olive oil i have very thin and fine hair which should be best?

As I said I have literally no experience with coconut milk (although I intend to try it at some point!) but as CurlyCap said it might go rancid as a leave in, so probably best to save it for deep treatments/soaks :)

Jojoba oil is a great sealing oil, meaning that it can help keep moisture in your hair but also out, so using it on dry hair isn't usually great, it's best to use it on slightly damp hair, a little goes a long way so go drop by drop :)

Olive oil is one of the penetrating oils (along with coconut and avocado, amongst others) and is great for both heavy/overnight soaks and lighter oilings. I use it as an overnight soak after a protein treatment (coconut oil soak) and sometimes as a post-wash oil, although it's a little heavy and I find it rather easy to over do it and end up looking a little stringy! If I do put a bit too much on I find braiding my hair and letting it sit for a few hours works well, it seems absorb nicely (YMMV of course). My hair is fine (strands) and thin (due to trich hair loss) and I use many of the same oils someone with thick and/or coarse hair would, I think it's more about the amount you use. If you want to use the olive oil after you've washed or between washes I'd say use 1/2 drops first and start at the ends, I wouldn't apply it above your ears (at your roots). For a soak I really lay it on thick under a cap ha. (CO washing seems to remove heavy oilings better than S/C btw, although again, YMMV!!).

Hope that helps a little, I'm sure people will come along and add things I've forgotten :D and hopefully they'll be more helpful as far as the coconut milk goes than I managed to be :lol:

sarahthegemini
October 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I would have thought that coconut milk would make your hair look greasy....I think using a good conditioner as a leave in would be best, you could always add a little oil (coconut or other) to it.

Aingeal
October 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I would probably skip the coconut milk and go for the oil. I have course, curly hair and I use conditioner as a leave in and coconut oil weekly as a deep soak in.

Firefox7275
October 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
What are your hair properties and why is your hair breaking? Leave in is shortform for leave in conditioner, oil plus coconut milk is not a conditioner it's some sort of treatment. A conditioner always contains the major emollients, fatty alcohols and/or cationic surfactants.

Coconut oil is useful on dry hair for reducing porosity and increasing elasticity but it is not moisturising, you want humectants for that. Not sure there are any evidence based benefits to using coconut milk.