PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit - Suave Professionals 30 day Keratin Infusion Kit

sagremus
October 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/suave-professionals-keratin-infusion-30-day-smoothing-kit-suit-claims-suave-product-damaged-hair

I saw some pictures of one of the plaintiffs and it was horrific. I would never use any chemicals like this at home on my hair, but this has cemented it for me! I also panicked and threw out my 1/2 empty bottle of Suave Conditioner I had (it made my hair shed like crazy anyway).

I am so glad I use a lot of natural products like coconut oil. Researching this article also made me aware of the dangers of keratin treatments and/or Brazilian blow-outs. It produces formaldehyde gasses in the process. The salon I used to frequent offered these, and me and my friend were considering getting one a while back! No way anymore.

I am also planning on researching ingredients much more carefully in the future. Some of the chemicals in specific hair products can be dangerous!

summergreen
October 19th, 2013, 06:42 PM
That's scary :( yes it does make you think about what damage this kind of stuff can do. Was it a kit to use at home? We don't have Suave here in UK as far as I know, but I guess the potential danger is there with any chemical treatment.

Kaelee
October 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Their facebook page makes me facepalm. THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! Um....duh?

I think a lot of the issues stem from people not realizing they were putting relaxer on their hair, not strand testing, and not following directions. It was marketed as a Karatin treatment, and what it really was, was a relaxer.

WilfredAllen
October 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM
WOW.... I saw the pictures and that's crazy. I'll be following this story for sure.

Amygirl8
October 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Their facebook page makes me facepalm. THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! Um....duh?

I think a lot of the issues stem from people not realizing they were putting relaxer on their hair, not strand testing, and not following directions. It was marketed as a Karatin treatment, and what it really was, was a relaxer.

I think I agree with this.
The instructions were incredibly detailed, explained if you should or shouldn't use it, and advised you to do a strand test.
Honestly, I don't think you can make a case against them unless you can prove that your hair type was okay to be used on, you did a strand test, and you followed the instructions exactly, only to receive the result that you did.
And I highly doubt those women can do that.

The results were pretty bad and I can't deny that I feel pity for them, but from what it looks like Suave provided them with everything they needed and heavily advised to do a strand test. They said, clearly, that it was not for everyone.
I'm just going to put this down to ignorance and that's that.

Kaelee
October 19th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I think I agree with this.
The instructions were incredibly detailed, explained if you should or shouldn't use it, and advised you to do a strand test.
Honestly, I don't think you can make a case against them unless you can prove that your hair type was okay to be used on, you did a strand test, and you followed the instructions exactly, only to receive the result that you did.
And I highly doubt those women can do that.

The results were pretty bad and I can't deny that I feel pity for them, but from what it looks like Suave provided them with everything they needed and heavily advised to do a strand test. They said, clearly, that it was not for everyone.
I'm just going to put this down to ignorance and that's that.

Yep! Lord knows I would never use this on my hair, or any product like it. :shudder: but I have to wonder how many people didn't follow the directions, as I know I haven't in the past. ;)

Aingeal
October 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM
My first thought after looking at it all was that these poor women did not know what they were doing. I feel awful for them, however I think they didn't tread carefully about the product and didn't follow dictions exactly. I hope they are able to recover their hair. :(

jacqueline101
October 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
That's sad and I was going to buy the shampoo and conditioner of it or tresseme after reading this I'm glad I didn't have enough money. I was going to see if it would be good for my broken end.

Hootenanny
October 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Wow, I was intrigued by this story, so I took a look at the facebook page and also the directions for the product. I'm really sorry for this woman, but she clearly had no idea what she was doing. If you look at what she wrote under the pictures at the top of the fb page, she was trying to use the product EVERY DAY for 30 DAYS! The point of the product is that ONE APPLICATION is supposed to LAST for 30 days. In fact, the directions say you can't do a touch-up at all for three months. And she was using it daily!! Yikes! :(

MandyBeth
October 20th, 2013, 06:31 PM
One of the FB "danger" pictures looks very much like cut off (with scissors) versus melted/broken off.

Plus, erm, once every three months per directions and you are applying it daily? At some point, you have to be responsible for your own poor decisions. It's not the company's fault that someone opted to blatantly ignore directions.

Seriously, I've had a nasty PPD reaction. My bad, nothing to blame other than my choices. Hello, it was itchy and annoying before the strong reaction. At no point did I think "Well, gee, my scalp is sore, guess I'll do that again tomorrow!"

cheetahfast
October 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I have to agree that it seems that it was user fault here.

Kaelee
October 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Wow, I was intrigued by this story, so I took a look at the facebook page and also the directions for the product. I'm really sorry for this woman, but she clearly had no idea what she was doing. If you look at what she wrote under the pictures at the top of the fb page, she was trying to use the product EVERY DAY for 30 DAYS! The point of the product is that ONE APPLICATION is supposed to LAST for 30 days. In fact, the directions say you can't do a touch-up at all for three months. And she was using it daily!! Yikes! :(

YIKES! I missed that. I did not read the directions, thought it was odd to do it daily for 30 days but I guess I assumed no one was that idiotic.

jeanniet
October 20th, 2013, 06:56 PM
It's really unfortunate, but I think nearly all DIY hair disasters are due to user error. If you look at the main "before" picture on the FB page, that hair is clearly flatironed and thinning at the ends, which means it's damaged. Putting a chemical treatment on already damaged hair is not going to end well. In any case, there's information on keratin treatments and what they are (and warnings!) all over the internet. Not bothering to inform yourself is just not a good idea.