PDA

View Full Version : Listening to LHC advices changed my hair texture

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
And not in a bad way, though. I couldn't be happier. I wish other beginners or people who are starting to join this experience will read this be motivated/inspired. I'm going to continue my journey.

My hair used to be totally dead. It didn't shine and looked so thin. Now, when I look back I realised how bad I was to my hair. I washed it with daily with harsh shampoos,blowdryed it daily and teased.

I also suffered from an itching scalp and finally realised that my scalp feels better the less I put chemicals into it.

Nowadays I wash twice a week with organic shampoo and conditioner, I do coconut oil treatment before every wash and sometimes rub a tiny bit of a coconut oil in my ends between washes. I don't use heat, tease or any gels, sprays etc on my hair.

However, I've noticed that my hair texture has changed. It looks shinier, bouncier and feels thicker. I'm very happy with this but I just can't help but wonder why. Has anyone experienced this?

YamaMaya
October 19th, 2013, 03:47 PM
You're obviously doing something right, it's best not to question it :p.

Firefox7275
October 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Coconut oil penetrates increasing elasticity and reducing porosity so changes the hair properties, you may have also removed hairspray build up.

AmyBeth
October 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm so happy for you. It's no mystery- course hair looks and feels better when you stop abusing it and start caring for it. I can remember my hair pre LHC, and can hardly believe it's the same stuff.

Vampyria
October 19th, 2013, 05:18 PM
That's great. I used some LHC methods before I discovered the forums. I had/have pretty much the same routine as you. My hair is less frizzy and stiff, it's softer and looks a lot straighter now. I even thought that it stopped being wavy. I had to grow out almost all of the damage (heat/dye) to see that difference though.

biogirl87
October 19th, 2013, 11:21 PM
BowTie, I have had a similar experience. However, before I joined LHC I had layers cut into my hair and the last time my hair was at shoulder length I was using a round brush which I think pulled some hairs out. After joining LHC I think my hair has become finer though as it doesn't feel as thick now as it used to (I remember it would get heavy during the summers in my teenage years with all the humidity of Northern Illinois climate).

Wildcat Diva
October 20th, 2013, 03:47 AM
My hair has definitely shown to be actually much wavier than I ever thought since before I started with LHC methods. I can't believe that fingercombing mostly is actually working out.

BowTie
October 20th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Even my partner has noticed the change. Last night he was touching it and said that it looks luminous and healthy :)

I suffered from hair loss in the Summer 2012. I'm sometimes about to cry when I can just feel my hair and can feel some new hair. I think my hair loss was because of my itchy scalp and reason for that were harsh chemicals. I've learnt that even a dry shampoo makes it itch. Now, when I just use organic shampoo, conditioner and coconut oil I don't have any itching =)

sarahthegemini
October 20th, 2013, 06:51 AM
So happy that you're pleased with your hair, it does look lovely in your siggie pic. My hair has changed quite a bit too, I used to think it was thin and lank, now it looks/feels thicker and has body. I've also noticed that although the majority of my hair is fine, I do have some thicker strands thrown in the mix. My hair is also so much wavier than I thought, I actually have a few ringlets.

Aingeal
October 20th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Yay! It looks great in your signature pic! Lots of shine. I love coconut oil!

BowTie
October 20th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Yay! It looks great in your signature pic! Lots of shine. I love coconut oil!

Aww, thank you. I can't believe how many products I used hefore LHC to make it look "healthy". Now I only use 3 and it's never looked better.. I just can't wait when it grows!

woodswanderer
October 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mine looks quite a bit wavier too...I had to update my hair type. I think that is mostly from the coconut oil I started using since being on the forum.

jacqueline101
October 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I'm so glad you've discovered what this site is about people helping others. The wisdom here is great and best left unquestioned. I wish you good luck on your journey.

bunzfan
October 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mine looks quite a bit wavier too...I had to update my hair type. I think that is mostly from the coconut oil I started using since being on the forum.

Well whenever i see your signature picture i could swoon with hair envy :crush:

shutterpillar
October 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mine has gotten a bit wavier since taking better care of it. Much shinier, too. :) Congrats, Bowtie, on finding a hair routine that works for you!

BowTie
October 20th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'm so glad you've discovered what this site is about people helping others. The wisdom here is great and best left unquestioned. I wish you good luck on your journey.

Thank you! I wish you good luck on your journey too =)

Lol, I was just admiring how much shine and volume my hair has. Before I either had shine but no volume or volume but no shine. Now, I have both :D

MsSunshine
October 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I'm fairly new to LHC, but I have to say, I'm noticing a change in my hair texture as well. Mine seems LESS wavy (maybe from the weight of my hair growth?) and it feels so much softer!! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it keeps progressing! The tips everyone has on here are awesome!

jacqueline101
October 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you! I wish you good luck on your journey too =)

Lol, I was just admiring how much shine and volume my hair has. Before I either had shine but no volume or volume but no shine. Now, I have both :D

Thank you for your kind words. I know what you mean about the shine my hair was dull, frizzy from perm damage, and dried out. This place has made a difference in the two years I've been here. I now have volume and shine with out frizzy dry hair.

BowTie
October 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'm fairly new to LHC, but I have to say, I'm noticing a change in my hair texture as well. Mine seems LESS wavy (maybe from the weight of my hair growth?) and it feels so much softer!! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it keeps progressing! The tips everyone has on here are awesome!

I'm glad you have already noticed the difference in your hair =) Just keep on growing it and treating it well (and yourself too such as a good diet) and hopefully you will see some great results!

faintlyfalling
October 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I am new to LHC also. My hair is vastly improving in just a few weeks. I still wear it up out of habit. But when I let my hair down it doesn't fly around so much and get frizzy. I think respecting the bit of wave I have and CO washing has tamed my hair. I can't wait to try some coconut oil. Will it work if I am not using shampoo? I am always browsing these forums looking for new ideas!

BlazingHeart
October 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Bowtie, so glad your hair is making you happy! Looking at your siggy, it is easy to see why.

Faintlyfalling, you can totally use oils with CO.

Rio040113
October 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Bowtie, I'm glad your hair is happy ^^ it's looking great, can't wait to see it as it grows :)

Faintlyfalling, you can totally use oils with CO.

^ Yupyup! :D Most people seem to find it works better, myself included.

My hair hasn't changed texture in terms of curl, or rather my lack there of lol, as a 1a/1b it didn't really have much wiggle room :p It's pretty much solid 1a now, thanks to the weight as it's grown. As far as how it feels to touch, it's much much softer and pretty slippery now, plus has more shine :) Since using avocado oil it seems thicker too... I know it's not my new growth because it's too short to get into my length yet but somehow my length looks thicker? Ah well, certainly not complaining :lol:

BowTie
October 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I am new to LHC also. My hair is vastly improving in just a few weeks. I still wear it up out of habit. But when I let my hair down it doesn't fly around so much and get frizzy. I think respecting the bit of wave I have and CO washing has tamed my hair. I can't wait to try some coconut oil. Will it work if I am not using shampoo? I am always browsing these forums looking for new ideas!

I'd say it will work. I only put coconut oil in my ends and only use to conditioner to wash them =) It has worked very well.

katelinn
October 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I have to admit that I have never really mistrated my hair with anything other than sls shampoos before I knew better, and I guess that is why I have always had really dry ends. Now that I have been putting oil on my ends before bedtime, and I don't use those shampoos anymore I really FEEL the difference.

Just before I joined LHC I started using a wide toothed comb and that also really makes a difference in how frizzy it looks(or doesnt).

BowTie
October 21st, 2013, 06:42 AM
I have to admit that I have never really mistrated my hair with anything other than sls shampoos before I knew better, and I guess that is why I have always had really dry ends. Now that I have been putting oil on my ends before bedtime, and I don't use those shampoos anymore I really FEEL the difference.

Just before I joined LHC I started using a wide toothed comb and that also really makes a difference in how frizzy it looks(or doesnt).

I was the same.. I only used sls shampoo before. They caused my scalp to itch and never realised it until I came here. I won't ever touch them again!

katelinn
October 21st, 2013, 06:50 AM
I was the same.. I only used sls shampoo before. They caused my scalp to itch and never realised it until I came here. I won't ever touch them again!

Yup, I forgot to mention the itchy scalp...that I don't have anymore. :D

BowTie
October 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Yup, I forgot to mention the itchy scalp...that I don't have anymore. :D

Isn't it great? :) After changing my shampoo I don't have to think about my scalp at all :)