PDA

View Full Version : How is this for a healthy start? (Pic included!)

lilahtov
October 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I can only explain my hair so well, and I was hoping for some insight as to my length and condition right now, at the very beginning of my hair growth journey.

I'm sorry for the photo quality and lighting! Also, my shirt is all scrunched up, but I'm pretty short-waisted as is. I guess I'm just self-conscious, as, this is my first photo for LHC and you guys all have such luscious locks! :flower:

Well, here goes...the length and condition of my hair and just about everything else is now up to your interpretation! :blushing: *gulp* Thanks in advance for your input!
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/lilahtov/IMG_3222_zps29343bdb.jpg

bunzfan
October 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I think it looks really healthy :D

TenaciousTangle
October 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Your hair looks great. It seems nice and thick, and with the length you already have I'd say you're at a great place to begin growing it out!

Coolcombination
October 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM
The only thing I can see that may be a problem is from eye level down I can see little flyaways that may be breakage??

Rio040113
October 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Your hair looks great. It seems nice and thick, and with the length you already have I'd say you're at a great place to begin growing it out!

I agree with TenaciousTangle :) Plus it doesn't look like it'd be too many months before you'd be flirting with Waist :D

lilahtov
October 19th, 2013, 03:44 PM
bunzfan thank you so much!
TenaciousTangle and Rio040113 Thank you! I hope you're right, and that the time flies before I see at least a little progress!
coolcombination I trimmed recently, and I take pretty good care of it (especially now) so I'm hoping it's not breakage!! I do have layers, so perhaps that's it. Thanks for looking so closely!

Kaelee
October 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Fantastic!!!! I would have loved to have hair like yours when I first started seriously growing it out!

Macaroni
October 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM
To me it looks like healthy, shiny, layered hair with U-shaped ends.

BlazingHeart
October 19th, 2013, 11:56 PM
In general, it looks like it's in good shape. You've got shine that suggests good health. However, I noticed there was a horizontal line of ends at one point in your hair - now, that may just be your layers, or your hair growing in, but the placement of it makes me want to ask if you wear ponytails a lot. It looks like it could be breakage from pony tails, it's at the right height. If that's the case, I'd suggest laying off of them and using other styles to secure your hair.

jacqueline101
October 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM
It looks nice thick and healthy. I do see your layers at the eye level I can see where someone might think its breakage. All and all your hair is great.

lilahtov
October 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Kaelee, thank you for the compliment! :)
Macaroni, I'm glad you think so!!
BlazingHeart, interesting you should say that...I really don't wear ponytails often, so I hope it's not breakage, but at least I now know to steer clear of them! Many thanks!
jacqueline101, Thank you! If it is in fact breakage, I hope I can work my way towards repairing it :)

BlazingHeart
October 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Since you don't wear a lot of ponytails, what I would guess is that this is just a combination of your wave pattern and the lighting making hairs that length really show up in this picture. Because hair follicles grow at different cycles and speeds, it is totally healthy and normal to have hairs of different length. I should have mentioned in my last post that this was the other possibility I thought likely! :o

jacqueline101
October 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Kaelee, thank you for the compliment! :)
Macaroni, I'm glad you think so!!
BlazingHeart, interesting you should say that...I really don't wear ponytails often, so I hope it's not breakage, but at least I now know to steer clear of them! Many thanks!
jacqueline101, Thank you! If it is in fact breakage, I hope I can work my way towards repairing it :)

I think you can repair breakage by letting it grow out. I had one suggest to me a light micro trim on the damage only.

lilahtov
October 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
BlazingHeart, Phew! That makes me feel much better :) I'm trying to grow out some of my shorter layers so I'm guessing (hoping! haha) that the hairs-of-different-lengths thing is the case.
jacqueline101, I think I'll try a microtrim next time I'm due for a little chop. I want to let my hair grow for a bit first :)

BlazingHeart
October 20th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Oh, you'll always have hairs of a different length. It's just part of having long hair. That's why so many of us gripe about 'halo' and whatnot - all the hairs that are growing in. Each individual follicle cycles from growing to falling out to resting to growing again, so there are always hairs of different length. I do find that in some lighting, it looks like I have a whole bunch of them at one particular length, where my waves make them poke out a little and the light catches them, which is what I think you may have going on. My spot happens to be at about ear level, so I know it's not breakage because I don't DO anything at that height that would break a bunch of hairs, you know?

Leeloo
October 20th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Your hair looks very healthy and shiny! Happy growing!

nakima
October 23rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
very nice, love the color as well. When I first looked at your pic I thought it was just your layers growing out and if it is breakage? like Jacqueline said a little micro trimming that area seems to help alot. Happy growing!

Orange Queen
October 23rd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Looks thick and shiny :)

Tini'sNewHair
October 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Beautiful, healthy looking hair. I like the thickness and your ends look in very good condition. Congrats on your journey so far :)

jacqueline101
October 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
BlazingHeart, Phew! That makes me feel much better :) I'm trying to grow out some of my shorter layers so I'm guessing (hoping! haha) that the hairs-of-different-lengths thing is the case.
jacqueline101, I think I'll try a microtrim next time I'm due for a little chop. I want to let my hair grow for a bit first :)

Micro trims is what I'm going to do to mine and hope for the best. I'm struggling with damaged area. Im hoping to do this and maybe we can start a support thread.

lilahtov
October 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM
BlazingHeart, thank you for your informative reply! That makes so much sense. I'll have to keep an eye on my ends! :wink:

lilahtov
October 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Leeloo, Thank you! Happy growing to you as well! :)
nakima, Thank you! I will certainly try to better maintain my ends as my hair grows out by microtrimming.
OrangeQueen As does yours! Thank you! And orange is my favorite color :heart:
Tini'sNewHair, Thank you, that means a lot! I am trying to start this journey off right and treat my hair well!
jacqueline101, That sounds like a good idea to me! :)