PDA

View Full Version : What are your hair tricks and tips for growing it long?

stephy190
October 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Does wearing hair in a bun every day help protect it ? And what weekly/daily products do you use ?

leilasahhar
October 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
http://youtu.be/eEWo4sB9ZBM Really nice conditioner and it works well

leilasahhar
October 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I use the silicon mix one but I mix it with my other conditioners. Thought you all should see this and that it helps for you!

sarahthegemini
October 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Haven't you made threads about this before? Hair growing tips and what products people use daily? :p

Anyway, just be aware of your hair when it's down so you don't catch it in bag straps, seatbelts, chair backs etc. Don't do anything massively damaging like flat ironing and ripping a brush through tangles. As for products, I don't use any products daily, I just co-wash x2 weekly. I have some styling products to experiment with though so will probably be using them daily.

Madora
October 19th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Does wearing hair in a bun every day help protect it ? And what weekly/daily products do you use ?

Wearing your hair in a bun every day can lead to several problems..i.e. traction alopecia, hair loss at the site of the bun. Best to vary the place where you have the bun to avoid problems.

I've been braiding my hair for years with no problems.. either a crown braid, a braided bun on top of my head, Heidi braids.

As far as products are concerned, I shampoo once a month with George Michael Salon Pink Creme shampoo. Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush and gentle detangling with a wide tooth comb beforehead.

I'm a firm believer in "Less is more". The less stuff you put on your hair, the less chance stuff from the air has of landing on it and getting it dirty.

Rio040113
October 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Bunning/updo's are great for protecting your hair :) As far as daily/weekly products, I personally use avocado oil on my ends and length daily, co-wash with a cheap raspberry condish daily, shampoo twice a week I'd say with Johnsons and do a castor/coconut/avocado oil mix on my scalp once a week. As far as other products go (if these count) I use my MP rake comb daily, sleep cap nightly and either my acrylic ketylo or a soft scrunchie for my daily bun/sleep braid.

jacqueline101
October 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I use a wide tooth comb, vo5 split end set, I use vo5 keep me strong leave in every other day wash every two weeks Monistat every other day. Monthly use lustrasilk cholesterol and Aussie deep conditioner. On wash day I use tresseme shine spray. I turbie towel dry half ways then air dry and damp style. It's never good to wear the same hair do over and over. I know I broke a section of my hair.

lapushka
October 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Two words: benign neglect. Best thing *ever*! It means my hair gets washed and deep conditioned, styled (gel), and for the remainder it's just left pretty much alone. No combing, no brushing throughout the week and up in a doubly folded peacock twist 6 days out of 7 (except on wash days).

vindo
October 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Lots of oil
Very gentle shampoo like AO (but I currently use Sante)
S&D
Good diet
Great diet
Awesome diet
The best diet

:lol:

I don't bun it all that much, atm I wear it down every 4 days.

LadyLongLocks
October 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Healthy neglect! Wearing it up everyday. Washing once a week with sulfate free shampoo and deep conditioning every 2 weeks.

prettyinpink
October 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
My best advice would be getting enough protein

vanillabones
October 19th, 2013, 11:37 PM
No heat, and not trying to make your hair into something it isn't. Set a goal and just grow, grow, grow :eye:
Growing out from the super short stages you just have to learn to ignore it.

Ashflower89
October 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Growing out from the super short stages you just have to learn to ignore it.

This x 10000000000. I am 5 months post pixie (cut off damaged hair to go virgin) and its SO hard to just ignore it when I'm so impatient and excited to see some length. I'm taking 1000 mg Biotin, a womens daily multivitamin, and a fish oil capsule.... not sure if I get enough protein or not.

kmoc123
October 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Well, my number one rule...STAY AWAY FROM SCISSORS. Lol...use good conditioners, stay away from heat, wear it up most of the time, be gentle with it.

rock007junkie
October 20th, 2013, 03:23 PM
My best advice would be getting enough protein

THIS!!!!
I noticed my hair started growing quicker and thicker once I upped my protein intake. Sometimes we don't get enough so making a conscious effort to consume enough throughout the day

Panth
October 21st, 2013, 12:52 AM
Benign neglect.
Daily updos.
Don't cut/trim/S&D more than absolutely necessary.

katelinn
October 21st, 2013, 05:11 AM
Take care of the ends so they don't split and only trim when really neccesary..which hopefully won't be often if you take care of the ends. Be careful when brushing/combing yout hair.

BowTie
October 21st, 2013, 06:52 AM
My tips:
Good diet (vegetables, fruits, berries, fish, nuts, eggs, healthy oils)
Enough sleep
Exercise ( I at least try to do streching everyday)
Keeping your hair up. Not in the same style everyday. Also changing hairtoys.
Washing your hair less
Coconut oil or other oils
Good shampoo/conditioner
No heat or teasing

TheVegan6
October 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM
Eat lots of protein and healthy foods. If you are vegan like me, I like Silk soy and almond milk because it contains lots of protein, calcium, and B12. I also eat lots of protein-rich foods, like almond butter, beans, and legumes. Make sure you put your legumes with a whole grain, like Ezekiel bread, to make it a complete protein! (Keep in mind, even if you are not vegan or vegetarian, meat proteins do not get absorbed as well as plant proteins, so make sure, even if you are a meat eater, that you put some plant proteins into your diet to grow your hair.):soapbox:

battles
October 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Experiment, find out what your hair likes and roll with it.

I wear a sleeping cap whenever I'm at home and laying on the couch with a book or my laptop. Excessive? Perhaps. But my hair feels awesome.
Stretch washes.
No heat.
I really like shea butter based products as an overnight treatment. They seem to be the only thing that prevent crunchy ends.
I would not recommend henna to anyone, as a general rule. :shrug: It sucks to grow out.

Anje
October 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM
1) Comb slowly and actually stop to untangle tangles. If you don't have time or are upset, don't detangle your hair. Just wad it up into a bun and deal with it later.
2) Don't tighten ponytails by grabbing two chunks and pulling them toward your face! You would not believe the breakage I got and have rid myself of by quitting the ponytails.

McFearless
October 22nd, 2013, 06:51 PM
Lots of oil
Very gentle shampoo like AO (but I currently use Sante)
S&D
Good diet
Great diet
Awesome diet
The best diet

:lol:

I don't bun it all that much, atm I wear it down every 4 days.

I agree so much with this. A healthy body will reflect in your hair.

snakes&stuff
October 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
1) Comb slowly and actually stop to untangle tangles. If you don't have time or are upset, don't detangle your hair. Just wad it up into a bun and deal with it later.
2) Don't tighten ponytails by grabbing two chunks and pulling them toward your face! You would not believe the breakage I got and have rid myself of by quitting the ponytails.

Ah! I tighten ponytails like that all the time! Thanks for mentioning it! It makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

catamonica
October 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
My hair would not grow for years. I tried mane & tail horse shampoo from wall mart. It grew. I wear it up 4 1/2 days. On weekends I wear it down. I added olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. Two capfuls. It really helps
your hair feel softer. It's good for the ends to. I have no split ends because I wear it up.