PDA

View Full Version : Side combs or barrettes -which is better for hair?

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 05:56 AM
So I bought a hair barrette and a side comb for my hair. I learnt how to use a side comb to secure my twists. It holds well and doesn't seem to tear my hair.
I'd love to use my barrette but sometimes its lock doesn't work and it kinda gets stuck. It also doesn't hold that well. Therefore I'm afraid using it.

I wear my hair up daily. Which one do you think is better for hair? Is it bad to wear side comb daily? I'm thinking about buying new side combs or should I try something else instead?

pocketsmall
October 19th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Which ever is working best and causes the least amount of damage is best for YOUR hair (sounds like the side comb is working based on what you described).

I personally have never had any issues using barrettes, but I could see how they could cause some damage, especially if used frequently.

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Which ever is working best and causes the least amount of damage is best for YOUR hair (sounds like the side comb is working based on what you described).

I personally have never had any issues using barrettes, but I could see how they could cause some damage, especially if used frequently.

My barrette was quite cheap so maybe that's why is not working well .. or then I'm just blonde and just can't use it :D

Firefox7275
October 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Ideally rotate around different styles and different methods of securing those styles so you don't stress one section of hair over and over.

jacqueline101
October 19th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I love side combs and barrettes. I find each one serves a purpose and the hold is different. In general I'd suggest trying different styles.

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Ideally rotate around different styles and different methods of securing those styles so you don't stress one section of hair over and over.

At the moment only side combs seem to work.. I prefer to have my hair either in french twist or peacock twist. At night time I wear two loose dutch braids. I prefer to wear my hair up as it's always on my face and when I keep it up it doesn't tangle.. Also keeping it up stops me playing with it. Should I wear it down more often then? I also have this claw clip but it seems so unsecure.. maybe I try that tomorrow.

Panth
October 19th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I agree - just experiment with different styles for the different tools (or different points of attachment if using the same style). Keep an eye out for damage.

IMO, the barrette sounds less than ideal, but if you are willing to be very patient when putting it in and taking it out then maybe it wouldn't be too bad? If it's getting stuck in your hair, that's not a good thing, particularly if you then remove it impatiently. Perhaps have a look at it and see where the problem bit is (e.g. any teeth on the inside, or the hinge, etc.) and try to modify that bit (e.g. file the edges/tips of the teeth until they are very smooth, see if you could cover the offending part of the hinge with a small strip of fabric, etc.).

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to try half-ponytail and see if it feels better. I just have to be careful with it. :)

Madora
October 19th, 2013, 12:24 PM
At the moment only side combs seem to work.. I prefer to have my hair either in french twist or peacock twist. At night time I wear two loose dutch braids. I prefer to wear my hair up as it's always on my face and when I keep it up it doesn't tangle.. Also keeping it up stops me playing with it. Should I wear it down more often then? I also have this claw clip but it seems so unsecure.. maybe I try that tomorrow.

If you wear your hair down, you'll have to deal with resultant tangles that occur..which can lead to breakage if you're not careful when detangling.
If you do wear your hair down, don't wait until the end of day to detangle. Detangle every 3 hours or so and go slowly, using a wide tooth comb (starting at the bottom of the strands and working towards the scalp).

To protect your hair, be sure whatever you are using has smooth edges and is not too heavy for your purpose.

Also, when beginning your twist, or ponytail..or braid for that matter, do not pull/twist/braid tightly. Ideally, be sure you can insert your pinkie finger at the beginning of the task, so that the hair is slightly snug. You don't want anything that pulls as that puts too much stress on your follicles.

BowTie
October 19th, 2013, 12:41 PM
If you wear your hair down, you'll have to deal with resultant tangles that occur..which can lead to breakage if you're not careful when detangling.
If you do wear your hair down, don't wait until the end of day to detangle. Detangle every 3 hours or so and go slowly, using a wide tooth comb (starting at the bottom of the strands and working towards the scalp).

To protect your hair, be sure whatever you are using has smooth edges and is not too heavy for your purpose.

Also, when beginning your twist, or ponytail..or braid for that matter, do not pull/twist/braid tightly. Ideally, be sure you can insert your pinkie finger at the beginning of the task, so that the hair is slightly snug. You don't want anything that pulls as that puts too much stress on your follicles.

I usually twist my hair loosely as it seems to work better. I've noticed that I basically don't have any tangles when I take my hair down but if I have it down (especially if it's a windy day) it gets tangled!