PDA

View Full Version : I Love Short too, Tempted to Chop - How do You Stay Motivated to Not?

gogirlanime
October 18th, 2013, 11:10 PM
So I am finding that I don't think I like my hair long, it gets in the way and I don't feel sexy. I love having a dark bob and the freedom to not feel like my hair is ruling my life or getting in the way. Sometimes the management of long hair really urks the heck out of me. In April 2014 I will be on year 3 and all my hair is finally virgin now at 20 inches long. How do you stay motivated when you are tempted to chop. My problem is I want my hair waist length (which will be about 28 inches long on me at 5'8") or chopped at an angled bob. But I don't want to wait for the last 7" of growth, I really want a bob now. What are your suggestions to keep me going? I mean I know it boils down to two things: will power and literally just not grabbing the scissors but what else?

UltraBella
October 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I'm no help, I gave into the temptation to chop & have never been happier.

Tota
October 19th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I motivate myself with pictures - pics of me with short hair (it really really really doesn't look good on me), recent pics of my long hair, pics of pretty long hair on the internet ... I also like some shorter styles (I think bobs are extremely adorable and sexy at the same time) but experience taught me that on me these styles don't look like they do on actresses/models. So basically, my motivation is just the fact that my face + short hair = bleh. If you know you'll look cute with a bob and will feel confident, then why not?

Flor
October 19th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I've never had such dilemmas. I cut my hair many times into a bob, but it wasn't because I wanted it shorter. It was because I didn't know how to properly take care of it, how to style it when it's long and under peer pressure.

Imagine this. You wake up next morning and your hair is waist length. TADA!! Are you really happy about it and want to maintain it long (despite the effort it takes) or do you still want to cut it into a bob??

Tini'sNewHair
October 19th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Ah ok. If you want to do it then why not BUT sleep on it for at least two weeks, try new styles in the meantime, think of every pro and con of doing it and once you weigh it all up then make the decission and go for it.

PixieKitten
October 19th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I remind myself that getting a short cut will take an hour, but getting my hair from there to waist will take another 4 years. I havent had it that long before and while I really loved my pixie, I REALLY dont want to go through the growing out phase again! I have bookmarks of styles that I'll be able to do when it's longer, and I absolutely love braiding and messing with my hair. I can't do that short and it bums me out just thinking about it!

RedNymph
October 19th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Remind yourself what made you want to get it long in the first place. Find inspiration from various sources. And if not....here's my haircut advice....

Maybe you take it a step at time. I know an actual haircut (as opposed to a trim) is looked down on here but I say don't be afraid. My advice is to maybe get a couple of inches off, if you are fine with it keep going. Depending on what sort of bob cut you want, I recommend going to a hairdresser just to see what they would recommend you get. You can get a long bob or a short one. There are plenty of options. I went to hairdresser to get a bob cut a few years ago and she did a fantastic job, she gave me a couple of recommendations and then did it exactly how I wanted it. For short hair I recommend going to a hairdresser just because they have knowledge of different styles that you might like, I mean this is LHC so not many people have a lot of knowledge about short hair.

So maybe do a self-cut first, take a bit of length off and see if you are happy with it. Then decide what's best for you. Find a length that suits you personally.

XcaliburGirl
October 19th, 2013, 06:51 AM
So I am finding that I don't think I like my hair long, it gets in the way and I don't feel sexy. I love having a dark bob and the freedom to not feel like my hair is ruling my life or getting in the way. Sometimes the management of long hair really urks the heck out of me. In April 2014 I will be on year 3 and all my hair is finally virgin now at 20 inches long. How do you stay motivated when you are tempted to chop. My problem is I want my hair waist length (which will be about 28 inches long on me at 5'8") or chopped at an angled bob. But I don't want to wait for the last 7" of growth, I really want a bob now. What are your suggestions to keep me going? I mean I know it boils down to two things: will power and literally just not grabbing the scissors but what else?

If the reason you are tempted to chop is mainly the parts I put in bold, then maybe you just need to take a break from focusing on your hair for a while. Try going into full benign-neglect mode. Put it up, forget about it for a while, and do the absolute minimum of washing. I don't know if you do treatments or anything like that, but take a break from those too. If you have to, take a break from LHC, or only look at the picture-filled threads for inspiration.

Obsessing about hair can be fun, which is why this site is so popular. When it stops being fun, though, don't feel like you have to obsess. I tried too many things when I first joined here, and it frustrated me. I ended up chopping my hair, and now I'm right back. When I chopped my hair short, it felt like my hair was ruling my life more with styling, bad hair days, and the constant need to get trims.

jacqueline101
October 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM
I always remind myself that if I chop I've undone all my efforts of growing. I reward myself with a treat when I reach another goal.

Vanilla
October 19th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Maybe get a short bob cut wig? You can still enjoy your long hair, but you can also enjoy the short wig. Whenever I get the temptation to chop, I either go for a short trim, a deep treatment or a new hair toy.

Hootenanny
October 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I agree with XcaliburGirl: try to just forget about your hair for a while. Wash it when you have to, then put it up and ignore it.

Also, in general, it really is a good idea to complete goals, even when the goal doesn't seem like something major. You set yourself the goal of waist-length, and you can be there in just about a year if you have average growth. Why not give it that year and then re-evaluate? At the very least, you'll be able to take pride in accomplishing your goal.

seeker
October 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I'm feeling your pain right now - except mine isn't long - it's growing out from a short bob and is finally below my chin. But it has absolutely no shape and is a little mullet-y at the moment so I've been so tempted to just cut back to a bob and be done. At least I'll feel like myself and half way like what I see in the mirror. But I know that it will grow past this awkward mullet stage and I've worked so hard to get here. Haven't had long hair in almost 10 years and really want to at least give it a fair shot. I've told myself no trim/cut until December - that way I have a goal and can see it in the distance. At that point I'll decide what to do next. So at the moment I am getting very creative with new styles and just trying to be patient - which some days is almost impossible.

Fairlight63
October 19th, 2013, 10:08 AM
When I think of cutting my hair short I think about all the hair styles that I won't be able to do. If it is short - you just have 1 option. If it is long or waist length the hairstyles is endless.
I also think about having to go to the beauty shop all the time to get it trimmed. All the upkeep of having it short - having to curl it all of the time. Long I just put it in a braid.
It will wind up being like one of my nightmares of having long hair & dreaming of cutting it short only to wake up to really having it be true.
I think of all my expensive Ficcares, Flex-8 etc. that I won't be able to wear again.

katelinn
October 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Every once in a while I get the same feeling, but I just tie my hair back and pretty much brush it in the morning..leave it and pleat it in the evening..simply forget about it for a week or so until the"attack" is over. Cause I do love my long hair and I really dont want it short ever again.

AmyBeth
October 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I do not need to anyone to impose the desire for long hair upon me. The wish for, preference for long hair comes from within. I do not, have never really wanted to cut it. I don't see why you should want anyone to persuade you not to cut it if that is what you want to do. One of the fun things about hair is that if you cut it, it grows back!:p. You can have fun and do what you want. What I want is to grow my hair even longer than it is.

spidermom
October 19th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I agree with XcaliburGirl: try to just forget about your hair for a while. Wash it when you have to, then put it up and ignore it.

Also, in general, it really is a good idea to complete goals, even when the goal doesn't seem like something major. You set yourself the goal of waist-length, and you can be there in just about a year if you have average growth. Why not give it that year and then re-evaluate? At the very least, you'll be able to take pride in accomplishing your goal.

I agree. It's really good practice for having the discipline to accomplish more important goals.

YamaMaya
October 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
The way I see it you have two choices. Your short bob may be just as much work and effort as your long hair, maybe more. Regular trips to the salon, washing daily, styling so it doesn't stick up everywhere, all these things should be taken into consideration. You could keep it long and continue your hair care routine as well, which may or may not be a lot of effort on your part. My long hair routine is pretty easy, stretching washes, oiling, tea rinses, and protective hairstyles. Less work for me in the morning the way I see it because if I'm having a bad hair day I can hide it inside a bun. Another thing to consider is that you will only be able to have one style, your bob, and that's it, until it grows longer. Give it two weeks to think about it, and if you still want a bob, by all means get a bob, it's your hair. If you have doubts, then you probably should leave it unless you absolutely can't handle it long anymore.

rainfortheend
October 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Have you tried the faux bob?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c5/9a/76/c59a76b269fab8b5d0babf4f83ee3079.jpg

http://www.stylebistro.com/Hair+Ideas/articles/eIvK_1yrN2z/Celeb+Hair+How+To+The+Faux+Bob

WilfredAllen
October 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I dont know if t's been said yet, but I follow the 1 month rule (some people do 2 weeks, i do a month). If you still want it in a month, then do it. But don't rush out and do it now

picklepie
October 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I love short hair (buzz cut) or long hair (WL +) but I HATE the stages in between, which for me last about 3.5 years. So when I decided to go long, I told everyone who would listen that I was taking a 4-year vow of no cutting. Anytime I got a hair compliment, or a comment on my hair, I would say " thank you! I took a 4-year vow not to cut and I'm on year x!" So anytime I was tempted to cut I knew it would involve many conversations with people who remembered what I had said and who would kid me about breaking my vow.

Of course now that I'm at waist I want it longer. But the awkward stage is done and I'm much happier than I was. Still love a buzz cut. But life is long, and I can go there again at some point. If I want to :).

Granger Mane
October 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I agree with the others to think on it I cut my waist-length hair to chin last year. I don't regret it because it was best at the time and it was cute. But I hated having to go get it cut every two months, and the matience to make it look cute, and that it was too short to do anything else with. Just a month or so ago it became long enough to bun or tie back if it was bothering, and it's gonna be a long time till I'm back at waist.

If you really want it short, maybe cut a bit off every few weeks to give yourself time to adjust. It was a huge shock for me, even though I wanted it done, to not feel hair swinging down my back.

HintOfMint
October 19th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I stay motivated with the sheer knowledge that short hair can only sort of look cute on me and that's from specific angles, with my makeup done, and wearing certain clothes. However, long hair always looks good on me, no matter what.

I can't advocate the two week rule, because I've wanted a longish pixie cut for much longer than two weeks and I still know that it was a good decision to not cut my hip-length hair.

I guess it just depends on how realistic this sleek bob is of looking nice on you. Have you had a bob before and did it look how you wanted? Were you fine with the maintenance and styling? If your experience with bobs has been positive, then maybe it's an option for you.
But if this is just in your imagination, I would hold off and really think about how it would look on you with your hairtype, face shape, and ideal maintenance routine. You say that long hair is a hassle but would you be willing to, say, blowdry every morning and go for more frequent trims? Does the haircut only look good on you when you have a full face of makeup and the clothes to go with it? I'm just saying that you might just be exchanging one set of problems for another.

makeminea99
October 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I stay motivated by putting money by every month that I don't cut! I allow for S & D's, and have an inch off the length every 6 months (luckily I've found a great local hairdresser who's a long-hair, too - she always does EXACTLY what you ask for! :) ), but otherwise, I put £5 aside in my Hair Treat Fund every month. The plan is, once I make it to tailbone, I can then use the money I've saved to buy myself something sinfully beautiful off Etsy, or maybe a Ficcare! :D But at the end of the day, it's your hair - I agree with those who've said to give it a fortnight or even a month, and then think again. If you still want to do it, then go for it! XX

lapushka
October 19th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Maybe try a small trim, and see how that makes you feel. Often shear frustration and wanting to chop drastically shorter are just problems with current length. Well, in my case it always is. When I get the urge to go drastically shorter, my hair is getting in the way. That means it's getting too long too fast, and you'd better trim a tiny bit rather then give into the urge to chop drastically.

PraiseCheeses
October 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I'd like to echo every single poster who has suggested to keep your goal in mind and postpone the chop until you've made it that far, particularly if you've never had hair that long. You may find that once you get to waist, there's no way you'd ever trade it for a bob. Or maybe not. But you won't know until you get there. :)

Rewarding yourself and getting a wig or two are also fantastic ideas! I've been within two inches of my present length for the past year, so I am definitely frustrated and ready for a change! But I've promised myself a custom Timberstone once I reach my goal of tailbone, and I'll probably satiate my desire for short hair by getting a wig at some point. I loved having a mid-neck-length bob and an APL layered cut later... but there's no way I'm sacrificing long hair for a change that would take years to grow out.

ohdokey
October 19th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I have sported a pixie and angled bob in the past, and while those were fun and stylish (and I got lots of compliments-always from other women, not men, ha, ha) I always ended up growing back out to at least past APl. Now when I get tempted to re-chop, I just think about it in terms of years I spent getting back to my goal lengths and if I really feel like spending time in the awkward growing out phases again. Usually the answer is no. Also, last time I planned to chop it short, I ended up cancelling the cut because I had hair dreams the nights leading up to it-not nightmares but that my hair was actually long and flowing like mermaid hair. That seemed so dreamy and sensual that I didn't end up cutting it. But all bets are off when I'm pregnant - ha, ha. Both times I chopped were in my last trimester where I was feeling huge and uncute, along with knowing I wouldn't want to have long hair in a pony tail every day as a new mom.
Wow, this is getting rambly. To wrap up, I say think about it more just in case you may change your mind. Then if you don't, go for it and feel amazing with your hair either way.

gogirlanime
October 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am beginning to find that I just don't like MY hair long. I am still thinking about it, but I haven't had longer than APL since I was 14 (I am 26 now). I think I am growing it out for all the wrong reasons, my boyfriend likes it long but I want it shorter it's how I've always had it. I started out growing it long for myself and now the only thing keeping me from chopping it is my boyfriend. I also think that I want to cut it because I am getting fairy tale endings and my hair is thinning out (been shedding a lot), I don't like the way it looks. I only want long hair if the ends grow down thick and they aren't. By heart an nature I am a chameleon and I like to change hair and fashion a lot, honestly I am surprised I've lasted this long without dying or chopping my hair.

vindo
October 19th, 2013, 06:13 PM
How do you stay motivated when you are tempted to chop

I started growing out from a bob in 2002* and haven't shortened my hair again since. I hated the bob so much, that I am NEVER tempted to chop :lol:

Shorter hair styles can be cute, so long hair is better so...all I can do is let it grow/ keep it long :)

Sorry no help here.

* an no it did not take this long to reach tbl, I have been a longhair for quite some time now ^^

whiteisle
October 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
What hair length/style makes you feel most like "you"? How do you feel the most comfortable, what makes you feel pretty, what style matches the image you have of yourself in your head?

I ask because I just recently (5 weeks ago to be exact) cut mine into a very short bob/pixie and it is not me. At all. And I did it for the wrong reasons. My dh is a short hair fan and somehow convinced me this would be a good idea. And I don't feel like myself at all right now. So, I'm on the grow-out plan. :)

But, when I was younger, I wore and enjoyed my hair short like this. It was me, at the time.

Grow your hair, if it's what you want and it fits who you are. On the same token, get a great bob style if that's more fitting for you.

I do agree with a pp that any maintenance you might have now with long hair will probably be traded for another kind with short hair. It's just a matter of which maintenance would you rather deal with. :p

Crumpet
October 19th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am beginning to find that I just don't like MY hair long. I am still thinking about it, but I haven't had longer than APL since I was 14 (I am 26 now). I think I am growing it out for all the wrong reasons, my boyfriend likes it long but I want it shorter it's how I've always had it. I started out growing it long for myself and now the only thing keeping me from chopping it is my boyfriend. I also think that I want to cut it because I am getting fairy tale endings and my hair is thinning out (been shedding a lot), I don't like the way it looks. I only want long hair if the ends grow down thick and they aren't. By heart an nature I am a chameleon and I like to change hair and fashion a lot, honestly I am surprised I've lasted this long without dying or chopping my hair.

If this is the case, then by all means cut it. One of the mottos here is 'I'm not here to decorate your world'. Your hair is for you to love and you should do what you want to do. If your BF loves you (I'm sure he does!) than he'll be happy to see you feel comfortable. Do what works for you!!

BlazingHeart
October 19th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Your hair should make you happy - whether you choose to continue growing, or cut it, definitely make that choice for your reasons and not someone else's. You're the one who has to live with it, after all!

Having said that, on to your original question. I don't have the kind of emotional attachment to my hair that a great many of our members do. I'm not someone who thinks of being long-haired as an intrinsic part of myself. I don't mean to disparage that point of view at all, it's simply not who I am. Anyhow, ever since I was 12 or so, my habit has been to cut my hair short, enjoy the short cut, get bored and annoyed with the cost of keeping it short (my hair is extremely low maintenance when short, if it's cut right - just wash and go, no blowdrying or curling needed). So then I let it grow out. It grows and I let it get down to my waist or my hips. My hair is so thick that before joining LHC, I couldn't put it up. I can't do a basic cinnabun until my hair is hip length, so growing my hair out always meant lots of hair on me and in my way and tangling with things. So I'd get bored and annoyed with having my hair everywhere and how long it took to dry and whatnot, and start the cycle again by getting it cut short.

My health issues (which affect my hands and shoulders, among other things) have been quite bad this summer and into fall, so I have been tempted to cut my hair. For me, a short style is far less work - hardly any brushing, almost no styling, much easier to wash, doesn't get in the way, etc. I just tell myself two things. If I cut my hair, I'll never find out how long it can grow (and finding that out has been part of why I've grown it out). If I cut my hair, I won't be able to wear all the beautiful things I've bought for my hair.

That, combined with the fact that I do enjoy the way my hair looks and feels, is enough to keep me from cutting my hair

DancingQueen
October 20th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I just went through the period myself. I missed the volume and curls at shoulderlength, and was really tempted to cut. Even the two week rule didn't work - I desperately needed a change. But my mother talked me into only cutting a few extra centimeters off to start with, just to see if I liked it. In the beginning, I did, but as it is now, I am glad I didn't cut, and can continue toward BSL.

That being said, if you really want to cut, go for it. There is no point in having long hair if you are not enjoying it. And you can always grow it back. :)

MissAlida
October 20th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I gave in and cut it into a bob 2 months ago. I loved it, I played around with it, now I'm ready to grow it out. I don't regret cutting it, since I got rid of many badly self-trimmed layers, and now my hair is professionally layered and looking healthy. I'm going to keep up with regular trims, since I've found the perfect hairdresser. If you want to cut, do it. It will grow back in no time with proper diet and workouts. :)

ladyfey
October 20th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Your hair should make you happy - whether you choose to continue growing, or cut it, definitely make that choice for your reasons and not someone else's. You're the one who has to live with it, after all!

Having said that, on to your original question. I don't have the kind of emotional attachment to my hair that a great many of our members do. I'm not someone who thinks of being long-haired as an intrinsic part of myself. I don't mean to disparage that point of view at all, it's simply not who I am. Anyhow, ever since I was 12 or so, my habit has been to cut my hair short, enjoy the short cut, get bored and annoyed with the cost of keeping it short (my hair is extremely low maintenance when short, if it's cut right - just wash and go, no blowdrying or curling needed). So then I let it grow out. It grows and I let it get down to my waist or my hips. My hair is so thick that before joining LHC, I couldn't put it up. I can't do a basic cinnabun until my hair is hip length, so growing my hair out always meant lots of hair on me and in my way and tangling with things. So I'd get bored and annoyed with having my hair everywhere and how long it took to dry and whatnot, and start the cycle again by getting it cut short.

My health issues (which affect my hands and shoulders, among other things) have been quite bad this summer and into fall, so I have been tempted to cut my hair. For me, a short style is far less work - hardly any brushing, almost no styling, much easier to wash, doesn't get in the way, etc. I just tell myself two things. If I cut my hair, I'll never find out how long it can grow (and finding that out has been part of why I've grown it out). If I cut my hair, I won't be able to wear all the beautiful things I've bought for my hair.

That, combined with the fact that I do enjoy the way my hair looks and feels, is enough to keep me from cutting my hair

I feel exactly like this. My hair is also easier shorter and I don't at all discount the idea that I may have it short again someday. Right now I am enjoying all the updos I can do with the super long hair :)

Panth
October 20th, 2013, 05:30 AM

If you don't like the way it makes you feel, you don't like the way it looks, you find it gets in the way, you feel it's ruling your life, you hate the management... but your boyfriend likes long hair... GET THEE TO A HAIRDRESSER! NOW!

Your boyfriend's personal tastes should not be ruling your happiness and enjoyment about your own appearance. As the LHC saying goes "I'm not here to decorate your world". If your boyfriend is decent he'll understand and be happy that you are happy. If he doesn't understand, well, tbh I wouldn't want to be around someone who tries to control my appearance.

NuclearApple
October 20th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I think that if you don't like it the way it is now you should cut it.
feeling beautiful is more important than waiting for something you don't really like at the moment,so even if you cut it if you want you can grow it again!it grows so there are no problems,about your boyfriend,if he loves you he should know that what you feel about your appearance is more important than what He feels about it.
so do what you like the most with your hair and don't worry :)

littlemonster
October 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I'm going to suggest a few things before you chop, not that I'm anti-chopping, I simply think you need to be sure you won't regret it.

First, is based on your profile you're doing a ton of regimes and treatments and work. If I was doing all that, I'd want to cut it off too. So consider stopping all that work, just having your hair left alone a bit.

Second is I notice you say a short DARK bob. Is your desire to change the colour part of the problem? I'd suggest if you're tempted to cut and dye, just do the dye part for now, cut later if you still wish. You could do non-permanents/vegetables dyes or semi-permanents (no ammonia, low peroxide) to minimise damage. But if you're not happy with the colour, I think being happy with your hair in general is hard. People here may not all dye, but some do, there's ways you can reduce damage, plus managing the damage if you only touch up roots as needed shouldn't be impossible even at waist.

If after trying that you're not happy, cut it. If you change your mind in a year or 5 years you can re-grow, it may take a while but it's still possible, it's not an option you can never change from again! No point having long hair if you don't like it.

Lightningfury
October 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I've had my hair every length from shorter than pixie to my current length of past classic (going for terminal!) and while I do have some crazy temptation to grab the scissors and hack at it sometimes that's just giving in to idle insanity.

I'm never going to cut my hair short again because A. unless it's superduper short it turns into afro and I do not rock that look. and B. as I explained to my DF (who speaks the language of money) it's far too expensive to maintain a short do.

I've haven't went to a salon and gotten my hair trimmed in...2 years or so? Because it'd cost $40 even at the discount generic salon, because I'm a woman. My DH (who's hair I buzz at home now anyway) and DF can go in twice a month and get a hair cut for $10 each time no big deal but the same haircut and maintenance would cost me $80, because I'm a woman.

Ultimately though I love long hair, I always have and the second I was away from home I started growing it long. But, and I know this is contrary to what you're asking, do what makes you happy. Would it make you happier to make it to mid back? or Happier to have your bob back? Don't let anyone control what you do to your hair but you.

rapunzelna
October 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I'm a member of one of those virtual makeover sites and I uploaded my pic with my hair pulled back. Whenever I think about a cut (which is almost never now) I simply go to the virtual makeover site and try on a few short styles. It takes me about 30 seconds to realize that short hair just doesn't work on me.

Kherome
October 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I just look at the rack of really expensive TT sticks in the bathroom and remember that my hubby would be really ticked at me if I didn't have hair to put them in anymore, since I've spent all that $.

MaryO
October 21st, 2013, 05:22 AM
It seems to me that you will only be happy once your hair is actually cut. I'm the same like that- once I feel it's time to cut nothing can convince me otherwise. Thing is- I am ALWAYS sorry about it afterwards. I have now been growing for a year and had no trims because I was so traumatised by my last short cut. Just think of all your years of growing and that you will really just throw all that away if you do cut...

ohdokey
October 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Not sure if you have finally decided or not yet, but I always make sure to rewatch Lord of the Rings movies before I cut, just because there is so much glorious hair in those movies. If I can honestly say "meh" about Galadriel, Arwen, Eowyn and then even Aragorn and Gandalf's hair, then I know I am ready to wear it short for a while.

ohdokey
October 21st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Not sure if you have finally decided
Oops, didn't mean to sound rude. Meant to say, "Not sure if you have made a final decision..."
:)

ositarosita
October 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
I remind myself that for me it's more work when it's shorter and I don't feel pretty when it's the length it is now... Plus mermaids have really long hair and I wanna look like a mermaid. Tons of pictures.. I have files of pictures for different hair lengths and the ideas I have to enjoy my hair at every length.

ladyfey
October 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Not sure if you have finally decided or not yet, but I always make sure to rewatch Lord of the Rings movies before I cut, just because there is so much glorious hair in those movies. If I can honestly say "meh" about Galadriel, Arwen, Eowyn and then even Aragorn and Gandalf's hair, then I know I am ready to wear it short for a while.
Julia Ormond (I think that's her name) in First Knight does the same for me :)

jasper
October 21st, 2013, 07:39 PM
I feel a lot less like my hair is ruling my life with long hair. It goes into a bun completely out of the way in about three seconds if I don't want to spend time on it. Before I grew it long, I had to deal with styling every day and maintain a cut with regular or at least semi regular trips to the salon.

BlondeWavyGal
October 22nd, 2013, 02:46 AM
I promised myself to never cut again.
Breaking that promise would mean im pretty weak hearted, but I dont have any urges to cut.
Whenever I need motivation I just envision long gorgeous tresses.. pretty dresses.. braids and styles I cant do with shorter hair, and of course flipping my hair into the faces of annoying people.

Just imagine how happy you'll be when you reach your goal!

gogirlanime
October 24th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I think I've boiled things down. So I am not going to cut (I am sure many of you are like "yaaaay we haven't lost another LHC-er") because I do like myself with long hair as well. Quite honestly I think my period was what was making my cranky and not liking my hair. Sometimes my estrogen makes me feel like my life and everything in it is horrible and I've made rash decisions during those days of the month. I have an irregular cycle so it's hard to figure out when I am PMS-ing. It is true, a good chunk of this I am doing for my boyfriend but I am also doing it for myself. It is true he prefers longer hair and I prefer trendy bobs but I'm not unhappy with it at the moment and I want this for ME and him. I started goofing around with some cassia, oils, and shampooing techniques and my hair is soft and shiny now. Also, the thickness of my hair isn't really a problem, my pony is 3.5 circumference and 10" down the pony it's a little under 3 and then at the tips is goes down to 0. I think I was PMS-ing, had a bad hair day and also now realize that I need to trim my hair in a clear cut line at the bottom and start growing out some layers I didn't think I had, the thickness of my hair isn't so much from too much shedding but more so because I still have layers from having my hair really short in 2007. I have two kinds of fashion and style personalities. Perhaps this is from being bisexual, I have the bob cut, red lipstick tie-wearing sexy side of me and then the long hair, long eyelashes girly side. I think I was just yearning to be my "lipstick lesbian" side of me like I was in high school. I am in a relationship with a man that has lasted 5 years and it's hard for me physically and emotionally sometimes to be a girly girl "bottom" all the time when I have a dominant "top" bob cut side to me. I don't have identity issues or a split personality I just have two sort of sides to me (or maybe it's a Gemini thing...) and I get strong urges to jump from one to the other. I think what triggered it is I have a bit of a crush on a girl at my work, but I'd never cheat on my boyfriend because we are very much in love but it triggered my "bob personality" and I don't feel like myself around her with long hair.

In short, I am happy with my hair, I need to give it patience. I want to get it to the 28" mark and see how I feel. Thank you again for all your support everyone!!

Long_hair_bear
October 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I watch Torrin Paige's youtube videos.... Thats enough motivation for me! Leastways, I'd no longer be able to wear my pretty and extensive hairstick collection!

HintOfMint
October 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I think I've boiled things down. So I am not going to cut (I am sure many of you are like "yaaaay we haven't lost another LHC-er") because I do like myself with long hair as well. Quite honestly I think my period was what was making my cranky and not liking my hair. Sometimes my estrogen makes me feel like my life and everything in it is horrible and I've made rash decisions during those days of the month. I have an irregular cycle so it's hard to figure out when I am PMS-ing. It is true, a good chunk of this I am doing for my boyfriend but I am also doing it for myself. It is true he prefers longer hair and I prefer trendy bobs but I'm not unhappy with it at the moment and I want this for ME and him. I started goofing around with some cassia, oils, and shampooing techniques and my hair is soft and shiny now. Also, the thickness of my hair isn't really a problem, my pony is 3.5 circumference and 10" down the pony it's a little under 3 and then at the tips is goes down to 0. I think I was PMS-ing, had a bad hair day and also now realize that I need to trim my hair in a clear cut line at the bottom and start growing out some layers I didn't think I had, the thickness of my hair isn't so much from too much shedding but more so because I still have layers from having my hair really short in 2007. I have two kinds of fashion and style personalities. Perhaps this is from being bisexual, I have the bob cut, red lipstick tie-wearing sexy side of me and then the long hair, long eyelashes girly side. I think I was just yearning to be my "lipstick lesbian" side of me like I was in high school. I am in a relationship with a man that has lasted 5 years and it's hard for me physically and emotionally sometimes to be a girly girl "bottom" all the time when I have a dominant "top" bob cut side to me. I don't have identity issues or a split personality I just have two sort of sides to me (or maybe it's a Gemini thing...) and I get strong urges to jump from one to the other. I think what triggered it is I have a bit of a crush on a girl at my work, but I'd never cheat on my boyfriend because we are very much in love but it triggered my "bob personality" and I don't feel like myself around her with long hair.

In short, I am happy with my hair, I need to give it patience. I want to get it to the 28" mark and see how I feel. Thank you again for all your support everyone!!

Bolded mine. This is probably one of the more interesting insights I've read on this site concerning their self-image and hair. Very cool.

Marron
October 25th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Sometimes I really get mad with my hair. It's too short, too curly and not shiny enough. That's when I'd like to chop it off just because I'm so annoyed. I then try to keep it out of sight and wear simple updos so I don't have to deal with it any more.

gogirlanime
October 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Bolded mine. This is probably one of the more interesting insights I've read on this site concerning their self-image and hair. Very cool.

Thank you, it's hard to explain to people, I really wish I could magically go from a bob and long whenever I wanted to.

Tini'sNewHair
October 28th, 2013, 04:26 AM
YAY for not cutting WOOOOHOOO :D

lapushka
October 28th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Thank you, it's hard to explain to people, I really wish I could magically go from a bob and long whenever I wanted to.

You could. Get yourself a wig. ;)