PDA

View Full Version : Hair Cut at Hairdresser's OMG

glitterbug
October 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM
HI all,

I am not going to ramble, I had my hair cut a while ago and here is what happened.

When I told the hairdresser how much I wanted cut off, (1/2) inch she said 'oh then its just pointless having a haircut if your only gonna have that much' I was like Gosh ok then, and then when she washed my hair, I told her HOW I wanted it washing and conditioning etc. Then the other 'dressers started looking at me like wth. And then she asked me q's like why blah blah. I told her, as a hairdresser she should cater to the customer no matter if I even want a cm off, she started getting defensive and contradicted what she said earlier, bcos she said yes I understand that I want a small trim ect.. I told her how 'dressers always cut so much off and etc.

When it came to combing my hair, I just took things into my own hands and let her oil the hair, and I detangled it myself, etc. By this time she was getting a bit nervous.
I told her to SHOW me how much she is cutting off and then she litteraly cut 3 cm off, which made me LOL in my head. And then I told her the amount I wanted trimming and surprise surprise, this time she nodded and did what I said.

Also I told her I just wanted it a light blow dry which she did, etc. I forgot to check the floor before I left my seat, which I should of to check how much was cut.

Before reaching the till, I saw her chatting with the receptionist, she probably said 'what a weirdo' bcos thats how they were looking at me like.

Rant over. Did I handle the situation well, or could I of handled it a bit better?

Valkyriejae
October 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
You handled it well, it'd say. Better they think you're a weirdo than they destroy/chop off your hair.
I once told a hairdresser that I wanted a medium trip (about 4 inches) - I didn't pay enough attention and she cut off 10 inch (It went from BCL to just above waist!) It's always better to be overly assertive and get what you want than to let them assume and end up unhappy, especially since many hairdressers don't know how to deal with long hair/someone growing their hair out.

Andeee
October 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Seems to me like you handled it well, but I wouldn't go back as they don't respect you and seem extremely unprofessional as well.

I do the same thing when I go in for a trim and she takes as little as a half inch off if that's what I ask for. She may say something like, "it seems damaged at the bottom three inches" but will do what I ask for anyway. She has also asked the girl who washes it to be gentle when she's combing it out. She respects my wishes and in return she gets me as a loyal customer who will pay good money to get what I want.

Rio040113
October 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Seems to me like you handled it well, but I wouldn't go back as they don't respect you and seem extremely unprofessional as well.

I do the same thing when I go in for a trim and she takes as little as a half inch off if that's what I ask for. She may say something like, "it seems damaged at the bottom three inches" but will do what I ask for anyway. She has also asked the girl who washes it to be gentle when she's combing it out. She respects my wishes and in return she gets me as a loyal customer who will pay good money to get what I want.

I second what Andeee said ^. Have you considered self trims?

summergreen
October 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Andeee;2543202]Seems to me like you handled it well, but I wouldn't go back as they don't respect you and seem extremely unprofessional as well.

QUOTE]

I agree!

melusine963
October 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
My last visit to the hairdresser was over two years ago. They also looked at me like I was a freak and completely ignored my wishes. That is what pushed me to take the self-trimming leap (well, I get my sister to do the actual trimming part), and I've never looked back.

Wildcat Diva
October 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM
You handled it well, but I would hate feeling like that afterwards. All ranty and stuff.

I went to the barber shop! A lady barber cut my hair dry as I had been three days post wash (perfect... not fluffy, it was a wet like texture) which I tangle teezer detangled before I went in the door. She also talked with me about next time trimming by the moon. I got about a half inch or so off, which was pretty fairly tailed because it had been about a year since I had trimmed. I'm so going again... In fall 2014 (hope she's still there, she's the owner of the barber shop, so likely!) :)

heidi w.
October 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
You did not interview the hairdresser. You just sat down and cut.
This is an easy problem to solve.
Find an older, more experienced hairdresser next time; don't expect that they know much, come in with washed hair already, just get the cut and leave it be.
heidi w.

glitterbug
October 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
You handled it well, but I would hate feeling like that afterwards. All ranty and stuff.

I went to the barber shop! A lady barber cut my hair dry as I had been three days post wash (perfect... not fluffy, it was a wet like texture) which I tangle teezer detangled before I went in the door. She also talked with me about next time trimming by the moon. I got about a half inch or so off, which was pretty fairly tailed because it had been about a year since I had trimmed. I'm so going again... In fall 2014 (hope she's still there, she's the owner of the barber shop, so likely!) :)

Is it a good idea to get trims from a male barber? I know they are cheap cost. I would feel unsure going in there though.

BrightEyes
October 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Yes, you handled it very well.

As a hairstylist myself, it saddens me to hear of how some stylists can treat their clients. Definitely not a good way to build a clientele.

glitterbug
October 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM

I know I shouldnt feel like ranting but i'd rather share with you guys, makes me feel better

TheLuckyLurker
October 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you did well, but if it were me, as soon as she copped an an attitude I would've been gone. E.g.,

Me: I want half an inch trimmed off, please.

Hairdresser: Well there's no point even getting a trim if that's all you want taken off.

Me -stern look- You're right. I'll just keep my money. -walk out; play triumphant music om iPod-

Wildcat Diva
October 18th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I know I shouldnt feel like ranting but i'd rather share with you guys, makes me feel better

It's all right, I would feel like that too. And you can rant to us anytime. I'm glad it made you feel better.

jacqueline101
October 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I think you handled it well and I'd never go back there. Like others have said have you tried self trims? There is the Feye method or crea clip methods. The crea clip methods can be found on YouTube. If you do go to salons I'd interview the hair dresser from on out. I agree on washing your own hair prior to arrival and detangle.

Wildcat Diva
October 18th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Is it a good idea to get trims from a male barber? I know they are cheap cost. I would feel unsure going in there though.

I dunno. I had been thinking about it for a while, and when DH went I ended up going for a trim too, after casually talking with the barber lady. She made me feel like it was no big deal.

I would want to know that the barber knew how to cut my hair, but then mine is very simple. The lady said that she liked to pull the side hairs straight out to the side and cut it even all around. This was fine with me, it made my hemline a slight U shape when it is all moved to the back.

trilobite
October 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I doubt hair dressers are much in favor of long hair; less business for them. I don't think you could have done any better.

UltraBella
October 19th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Long hair is really common where I live so the majority of hair dressers have experience with it and wouldn't think twice about giving a small trim. It's so odd to me that long hairs are treated like weirdos elsewhere, the three people I have known with the longest hair are actually stylists !

Katrine
October 19th, 2013, 12:49 AM
You handled yourself really well. Good for you for standing up for yourself and being very specific about what you wanted. I think you taught the stylist some important things in how to properly handle and trim long hair.

Tini'sNewHair
October 19th, 2013, 01:09 AM
You ROCK!!! I need YOU to come with me when i get my trim pretty please :D

Flor
October 19th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Most hairdressers I see through salon's glass walls (I'm self trimming, so no desire to go in there anymore) look like women with complete opposite idea of beauty than mine. Their hair is usually an unnatural color, short and loaded with styling products to stick every each way. Or they wear extensions. Or it's just a fried poof of undetermined bleach color. I just KNOW we won't see eye-to-eye, so I don't even try. In the ideal world, I'd like to have a personal hairdresser that knows me and what I want. I'm yet to find one I'd want to return to though. It appears they get taught their nasty attitude alongside the hair cutting skills in beauty schools ;)

I may give this barbershop idea a go one day, if I happen to find one (they appear pretty much all gone here).

Panth
October 19th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Sounds like you did well, but if it were me, as soon as she copped an an attitude I would've been gone. E.g.,

Me: I want half an inch trimmed off, please.

Hairdresser: Well there's no point even getting a trim if that's all you want taken off.

Me -stern look- You're right. I'll just keep my money. -walk out; play triumphant music om iPod-

This x1000.

(P.S. Some people like barbers - mostly because they cut hair, they do not style it. So, if you want an inch off, they cut an inch off - they don't bother to try to persuade you to get something fashionable, e.g. layers, thinning, etc., etc. Also, sometimes (particularly with old fashioned barber shops and/or barbers who are older gentlemen) they are rather in awe of long hair and somewhat terrified of screwing it up - not a bad attitude to have!)

katelinn
October 19th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I thought you handled it really well. I have been very lucky that the hairdressers I have gone to did what I asked without any problems. Mind you I have only been 3 times the last 15 years as I usually cut my own hair.

Shibe
October 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
An easy way to handle this is to simply say "I want no more than half inch trimmed, otherwise I tip well".

hanyo
October 19th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I usually don't bother to get my hair trimmed and if I do it's a maximum of once a year. This year and last year I had the person that cut's my mother's hair trim mine and she barely takes any off. I'm glad I found someone I can trust to not hack off a bunch of my hair. I'll be going to her as long as she works there.

I'm easy and fast for them too. I don't get my hair washed so it's just some quick snips across the bottom and they are done. I might even be brave enough to go twice a year now.

HintOfMint
October 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM
You handled it well and got what you wanted.

They, on the other hand, did not. I personally love getting my hair cut because it's a bit of pampering for me. The rudeness just spoils it and I can't believe it's so common.

kmcg
October 19th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Glitterbug, I actually go to woman at Flyod's Barbershop (I believe they have chains across the US) and she's fantastic. In fact she usually cuts off less than I want and checks with me to make sure I'm happy before she proceeds. They consider themselves stylists more than barbers, offer dye services and do styling at affordable rates. Although, Flyod's is more hip than your typical barbershop. Maybe there's something equal or better in the UK?

glitterbug
October 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
You ROCK!!! I need YOU to come with me when i get my trim pretty please :D

Thanks girl, there were some other things I told her not to do, but I dont want to make a huge thread. Yes sure, I would love to hehhe!

DweamGoiL
October 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I would've handled it the same way. In fact, that is exactly how I do handle it when I go to a hairdresser. I have been lucky with them although the ones that usually bug me the most are the people that wash and comb your hair before the hairdresser gets to you. The last time I went, the girl had the water WAY TOO hot. I asked her to cool it down 3 times. She was treating me as if I was being really fussy. I then informed her I only wash my hair with cool water. She also had tried to signal me to lean back by pulling my hair down to the sink. I asked her to not pull me by my hair. She seemed surprised that I said anything about that. After the wash, she directed me to the hairdresser's chair and then came at me with a big 'ole rubber brush. I looked at her as if she was coming at me with acid and asked her to find a large wide toothed plastic comb and hand it to me. By this time, she was annoyed, but too bad! The hairdresser, on the other hand, was extremely gentle and totally understood what I wanted and had no issues whatsoever. Needless to say, I only tipped the hairdresser. This has not been an uncommon experience.

Alun
October 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM
This x1000.

(P.S. Some people like barbers - mostly because they cut hair, they do not style it. So, if you want an inch off, they cut an inch off - they don't bother to try to persuade you to get something fashionable, e.g. layers, thinning, etc., etc. Also, sometimes (particularly with old fashioned barber shops and/or barbers who are older gentlemen) they are rather in awe of long hair and somewhat terrified of screwing it up - not a bad attitude to have!)

Doesn't work if you are male, trust me! If you are a guy it is best to avoid barbers and only go to hair salons/stylists.

Demi-Plum
October 19th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I actually have a small phobia about getting my hair cut (trimming is ok of course and getting my bangs cut is also ok, even though it sometimes can make me a little shaky if I actually see how much has been taken off) so when I first met my hair stylist back when I was 18 I was terrified and very admit that absolutely NO length was to be taken off, at any time. I have been growing my hair out since I was 5, but I only became serious about getting it a certain length about 2 years ago. I was very wary the entire time I was there (getting bangs - which I still keep up today) and I had my mother watch her the whole time. My stylist, Kati, has been wonderful about my wishes ever sense. She knows I'm only interested in what I say I am, and also knows I want classic length. Though being a stylist I know she's a little more amused at my goal then I'd like her to be, but since she does what she's told and is good about my wishes I have stayed with her. I don't let her trim my ends though. While I believe she would do what I ask it's still too much for me and I have my mother trim my hair. She knows about my phobia (I was terrified when she went from WL to BSL and it wasn't even my hair!) and even if she thinks I need more she will only take off what I'm comfortable with. The funny thing is I can actually tell when only an inch is taken off! So unless I ask for it she knows I'll know....

Panth
October 20th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Doesn't work if you are male, trust me! If you are a guy it is best to avoid barbers and only go to hair salons/stylists.

Oh, no. I agree - barbers always wanted to hack of DH's hair when it was long (and it wasn't even that long!).

Perhaps it is best to go to the one that your sex normally doesn't? I.e. if the barber/stylist is a bit out of their comfort zone then they might be less likely to think "oh, just another cut/style" and go on like they normally do. Of course, I could be completely wrong! ;)