PDA

View Full Version : I got about 3-4 inches of my hair cut off and it started to get dry/damaged again! :(

stephy190
October 18th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone! :) So basically I was at BSL but decided as my ends were quite wispy/thin/felt dry Id go get a cut, the hairdresser said it wasnt necessarily damaged, just dry.. so she done a deep conditioning treatment on it and cut 3-4 inches off to get it up to my shortest layer to give it thickness.. and it felt so healthy and soft and thick and shiny! And then a week later its dry and feels damaged again.. its a lot shorter than Id like it atm.. about APL right now and I just want to grow it out from here

Ive been using products every day like oils, serums and styling products like leave in conditioners quite a lot, and they contain other chemicals as well as the main ingredient (for example moroccan oil one contains dimethicone etc) Is this whats drying my hair out ? Too many products ?
I cant think of what else is damaging it.. I use baby shampoo, condition, deep condition, take vitamins, rarely straighten my hair.. So why is it going dry again after being so soft and silky ? I just washed my hair today and didnt use any extra products after the shower and it feels softer and less tangly..

Rio040113
October 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Could it be a bit of product or mineral build up? Have you tried clarifying or chelating? Also, which oils are you using other than the moroccan? If you're using coconut oil regularly, it could be that, it's too protein heavy for a lot of people I think. Do you use the more penetrating moisture type oils like avocado etc? Or sealing oils, jojoba, mineral, etc? Do you oil when wet/damp/dry? You could be sealing moisture out as opposed to in... Sorry for all the questions by the way :P

jeanniet
October 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
How often do you straighten? Flat ironing is often very damaging to hair, and once the hair is heat damaged the only way to get rid of it is to grow it out. You can mitigate further damage by being very careful, avoiding heat, and doing regular mini-trims.

Serums typically are very heavy in silicones (dimethicone). Silicones work well for some people and not for others--they will give the silky effect temporarily and then feel built up. Baby shampoo is actually pretty harsh on the hair, so you might look for another shampoo. A sulfate-free shampoo would be best, and then when you use it dilute heavily. Generally it takes much less shampoo to wash clean than we think.

If you live in a hard water area or have well water, you might want to use a chelating shampoo (Joico's is pretty good) to remove all build up from your hair. Sometimes the problem isn't the hair, but what's on it.

BlazingHeart
October 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Baby shampoo is often not great for the hair. The ph balance is designed based on what is easy on the eyes rather than what is good for the hair.

Having said that, I'm definitely thinking the same thing Rio is. That sounds like it could easily be build up of some kind. When did you last clarify? Do you have hard water? Do you swim? Do your products have protein in them?

shutterpillar
October 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds like product buildup. Get a clarifying shampoo if you don't have one already (you can find very inexpensive ones at the grocery or drug store. I use Suave clarifying shampoo) and see if that helps. After you clarify, try a deep conditioning treatment. SMT is raved about here, but my hair does not like honey so I use a mixture of 1/2 avocado, 1TBSP olive oil, and egg yolk. I found the recipe here (http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/10/5-homemade-treatments-for-natural-hair.html) and subbed the jojoba oil for olive oil and it worked just fine. I imagine you could use whichever oil you prefer.

There are many other recipes in that link as well. :) Good luck!

prettyinpink
October 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM
It could just be buildup. Try clarifying, and maybe go cone free for a few days and use lots of leave in conditioner. Tresemme naturals is the best in my opinion. Good luck!

MidnightSunlite
October 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Sounds like me! Hmm.. I'll try clarifying also to see if that helps me on my next wash.

YamaMaya
October 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I'd say you need to clarify, cones tend to build up and cause crunchiness, and the only thing that can get them off is sulphates, so just wash with a sulphate shampoo, and if you don't want buildup, lay off the cones.

biogirl87
October 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I'd say you need to clarify, cones tend to build up and cause crunchiness, and the only thing that can get them off is sulphates, so just wash with a sulphate shampoo, and if you don't want buildup, lay off the cones.YamaMaya, I've read that cocoamidopropyl betaine can also remove cones.

stephy190, also amino-fictionalized silicones (amodimethicone, bis-amidopropyl dimethicone) don't build up as much or at least build up slower. Luxepiggy is one of the experts on silicones around here.

cheetahfast
October 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Dry hair doesn't mean it is damaged. My hair is dry feeling naturally :shrug:. If I use the right conditioner or leave in it'll feel silky/smooth.

What do you mean by it feeling damaged?

AmyBeth
October 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Yep, when I read your post, I immediately jumped on the baby shampoo and a possibility of product build-up. And it's very difficult to stretch washes, but that might be helpful as well, to no more than twice weekly.