PDA

View Full Version : Do you like or dislike braid waves

plainjanegirl
September 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM
and depending on your first answer
what do you do to encourage or discourage the braid waves?

Arctic
September 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
If my hair is moisturized, braid waves look lovely. I don't have to do anything to them, but usually I wear my hair up so they don't show but they do give more volume to the updos/braids :)

Cinnamon.locks
September 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I love braid waves, if the ends would curl as well i'd be extatic, but mostly i keep my hair braided or in a bun so they rarely show, but you can see mine in my profile pic. unless i braid my hair wet the waves rarely stay, they usually disappear within a few hours if i let my hair loose after braiding at night.

CountessDeJager
September 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Braid waves are so beautiful and I just love knowing I will end up with them if I braid damp. The poofy funness of brushing them out is a joy to me too, finally I get big hair!

Shanarana
September 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I love braid waves. Get some extra fullness with them and hair is so soft. (I use coconut oil before braiding.......heck I use coconut oil all the time.....lol).

karenpetal
September 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Braid waves look romantic - in general like wavvy hair so for me I love braid waves - I tie multiple braids to get distributed waves

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I loooove braid waves - here's my old hair with fresh braidwaves and I would LOVE to have them again. They look so sexy and romantic!

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2008_06_02/SCA%20hair.jpg

Love love LOVE them. Did I mention I love them?

To encourage them, damp hair is great - getting it damp with a bit of oil (coconut is my preference) and letting it naturally dry makes them as permanent as I can get without heat styling. Sleeping on three or four small braids that are relatively firmly braided (be careful and use silk around your hair to prevent excess abrasion) and take them out in the morning, spritz with a good humectant mixture (like water/jojoba oil/aloe) and you've got GREAT waves going, even with pretty straight hair.

Now granted, my hair is naturally wavy and takes it easily, but I've seen similar methods used on (stunning!) pin straight hair and it definitely put at least some sexy body waves into it.

paper
September 5th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I love braid waves. One of the things I'm looking forward to getting longer hair is to be able to wear a braid and have the waves after.

Finoriel
September 5th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Neither... nor :wink: I don't wear my hair down often enough to be either pleased or bothered by them. They are not relevant for me, if you can say so. Combing gets slightly harder and itīs not as easy to get updos look sleek and polished with them, but otherwise their existence is not noticeable. With a hair structure like mine they do not last long anyways.

Periwinkle
September 5th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I love the way they look, but I don't bother trying to encourage them as I always wear my hair up anyway.

winter_star
September 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I love braid waves! I think they're beautiful and add a bit of volume. If I use coconut oil before i braid, my hair ends up looking really shiney and healthy.

The only problem I have is, half way through the day, no matter what I try, I always end up looking like a fuzz ball.

tiny_teesha
September 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I love them, but when it gets to my wispy ends they just look like a frizzy mess. Though they do add volume when i brush them through and add texture and hold to hair dos so i guess it has it's advantages and disadvantages!

sexyjacksparrow
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I don't like them on me. I don't do anything to discourage them - I just don't wear my hair down after wearing a braid!

Kerry xx

Anje
I'm ambivalent about them. I had awesome braid waves the other morning when I washed my hair, braided it loosely wet, tossed it in my night cap, and went to bed. Somehow I managed to get the wave pattern all over my head, not just in the braided part.

I do wish I had larger amplitude, larger wavelength waves (fine, thin-to-normal hair makes for rather tight little waves sometimes), though, and I much prefer when all the hair has the pattern, not just the length, with straightish over the top of my head and at the ends.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much. My hair went into a bun for the day anyway, destroying my awesome waves. It's just life around bunsen burners.

AJoifulNoise
I love braid waves. They give my hair something to do instead of letting it flounder somewhere between straight and wavy and curly. :rolleyes:

I used to wear my hair in braids every saturday so that I'd have beautiful waves on Sunday. That was when my hair was past waist. It doesn't work as nicely right now... but, I'll prolly do it again when it gets that long!

mellie
September 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I love them! Although, they never stay in my hair and now my hair is too short (shoulder length).

Arctic Mama, I love the photo of your braid waves!! Lovely!

Strongnlong
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I like braid/twist/knot waves because they give (relative)order to my hair. Braiding or twisting when wet (with oil) seems to give me the best "set" and better definition.

sahiba
September 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I am very fond of braid waves provided I dont secure the ends ,and for that I braid my hair when till the end its wet and just fold it up and secure it with a cloth band.

Masara
September 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I love braid waves but I hate braid frizz.

neenerbabe
September 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Here I am, going against the flow----

I hate braid waves. They look fine right after I take out the braid but within 10 minutes my hair is all frizzy looking, a la Lightsocket. :rolleyes:

Mrs. K
September 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I love braid waves if they start at the top. I don't like braid waves from the ears down with strait hair on top. I also like braid waves from a few smaller braids but not the waves from one big braid. I love the extra body and volume I get when I braid my damp hair in three french braids and let it dry overnight. I usually put a curler on the ends, because the strait ends with braid waves makes it look like my ends are damaged or something.

Merkaba
September 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
MMMmmmmMMMmmmm braid waves....*drool*

They are very purty in my opinion

lora410
September 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I dislike them. They make my ends look super fuzzy and I have no clue why. I discourage them by simply not braiding

Altocumulus
September 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I like them on others but dislike them on myself. I always get straight hair on top of my head with a giant frizzball from the ears down. Bun waves also look weird on me. I avoid them by wetting my hair every morning.

rhubarbarin
September 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
On people here - I always love them. When I get them myself at home (never intentionally) I hate them!

Any kind of bend in my hair from styling 'clashes' with my natural wave/curl pattern. Luckily they fall out with a bit of finger combing and some time.

florenonite
September 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I love them on others, but hate them on myself, because they look funny. I avoid them by not wearing my hair down after having worn a braid.

Hairytale
September 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I hate them. I dislike my hair being too wavy. I discourage them by not braiding my hair but rather bunning it. That causes nicer or less waves for me.

Guenever
September 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I hate braid waves in my hair - they look crooked and funny!
So I hardly ever wear braids.. mostly buns.. and I love bun waves :p

young&reckless
September 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I like bun waves better but any wave is good.

Hue
September 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Braid waves are one of the most fun parts about having mostly-straight-a-little-wavy hair. With damp braids left to dry, I can double or triple my volume, and if I do them as 3 or 4 French braids and coil the ends with silk, I have waves from root to tip.

On the other hand, I can wrap my hair and straighten it silky smooth, if I want a different look. Or bun braid for a lot of body but very little wave. All this virtually damage-free. It's chameleon hair!

I would like to have a spy story show about my hair. It's a high-powered executive in sleek updos. No! A Bohemian hippie in waist-length waves and patchouli. No! What will it do next? <_< >_>

Tai Shan Fan
September 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I like them a lot on hair with some wave or curl, but on my pretty-well stick straight hair they just look like weird bends and don't add overall volume at all.

misspriss
September 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I think they look great on others, but I don't like them on me. If my hair was finer they probably would, but it is more coarse and the braid waves contrast with my natural wave/curl. I love bun waves though, they compliment my hair texture wonderfully.

plainjanegirl
September 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Braid waves are one of the most fun parts about having mostly-straight-a-little-wavy hair. With damp braids left to dry, I can double or triple my volume, and if I do them as 3 or 4 French braids and coil the ends with silk, I have waves from root to tip.

On the other hand, I can wrap my hair and straighten it silky smooth, if I want a different look. Or bun braid for a lot of body but very little wave. All this virtually damage-free. It's chameleon hair!

I would like to have a spy story show about my hair. It's a high-powered executive in sleek updos. No! A Bohemian hippie in waist-length waves and patchouli. No! What will it do next? <_< >_>

How do you wrap to get the silky smooth? The method I tried it falls out at night no matter how many pins I use.

plainjanegirl
September 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I loooove braid waves - here's my old hair with fresh braidwaves and I would LOVE to have them again. They look so sexy and romantic!

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2008_06_02/SCA%20hair.jpg

Love love LOVE them. Did I mention I love them?

To encourage them, damp hair is great - getting it damp with a bit of oil (coconut is my preference) and letting it naturally dry makes them as permanent as I can get without heat styling. Sleeping on three or four small braids that are relatively firmly braided (be careful and use silk around your hair to prevent excess abrasion) and take them out in the morning, spritz with a good humectant mixture (like water/jojoba oil/aloe) and you've got GREAT waves going, even with pretty straight hair.

Now granted, my hair is naturally wavy and takes it easily, but I've seen similar methods used on (stunning!) pin straight hair and it definitely put at least some sexy body waves into it.

Now those are some beautiful braid waves!!!

Darkhorse1
September 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Braid waves aren't for me, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from them. I think I did them to death as a kid. If I had the patience, I prefer pin curls.

Forever_Sophie
September 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Not crazy about them. I like them, and these nights, a braid's the most comfortable way of wearing my hair...I wouldn't go out of my way to create them, my hair has its own natural wave.

Hue
September 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
How do you wrap to get the silky smooth? The method I tried it falls out at night no matter how many pins I use.

If I am doing it during the day, I comb out wet hair and smooth in some aloe vera through the length, then wrap the hair itself counterclockwise around my head, using a few hairpins near the end. A silk band is sometimes necessary to hold in the ends. Takes all day to dry, though.

If I am doing it at night, I use 2 ponytails tied at the base with large silk scarves. Then I wrap the scarves around the ponytails, looping up the tassel into the wrap, and tie it off with the ends of the scarf. Looks like 2 clubs, one on each side of my head. :) I do 2 because it's easier to sleep that way. In the morning, the hair is usually still a little damp, so I comb it out (gently!) and wrap around my head for a few hours.

Usually, though, I don't fiddle with my hair much. It's nice to have some tricks in my back pocket, though.

NurseMama
September 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have started to do double french braids on damp hair at night. Instead of using a hair tie on the ends, I use 2-3 of those foam rag rollers with wires at the end of each braid. The braid waves turn into spirals at the bottom.

wonderlywroughte
September 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not a fan of them on myself. When I do a braid on several day old hair, the braid waves will make the bottom portion of my hair all fuzzy and big, and then the top of my hair will be straight and flat. Not a good look!

Braid waves on freshly washed hair are a little better - but they only look good right after I take them out of the braid. After that, they start to fluff up, and my hair starts trying to revert back to it's normal curl pattern. And my ends curl up and they look very different than the braid waves, and not in a good way.

kunibob
September 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I do love the idea of braid waves, but mine always seem to be lopsided and messy. Maybe I'll try sleeping on multiple braids tonight and see how it goes.

Wow! If my braid waves looked like that, I would be a happy girl! Beautiful!

redtea
September 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think they make my ends look a bit scraggly so I usually don't like how my hair looks when take my braids out. I always have to put it in a bun for a few hours after that to get the ends to look better again.

dor3girl
September 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Not a big fan of the braid waves. . . the roots are straight, the ends are straight, with random kinkyness--my hair just ends up frizzy looking with greasy looking roots (bad looking all over).

To discourage this, I will mist my hair (if I have to go out) or just keep it braided. Braiding isn't something I do often anyhow--so not a big deal.

My sister used to put about 6-8 braids in her hair at night & had a way of wrapping the ends so they got kinky as well. On her, the look was nice & bohemian (she has blonde hair). On me, I just looked like someone with a bad perm!

Tangles
September 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Oh gosh, they are so flattering on me--wavy, but in a uniform way my hair would never do on its own. Do it right and it looks like I used a crimping iron. Also, leaving my hair in damp braids really softens it.

Denebi
September 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I do like braid waves, but only from dutch or french braids, it looks a bit more natural than english braid waves. The straight ends aren't that nice, that's true....

What I like even more is bun waves! My figure-8 produces really nice corkscrews :)

SweetPea88
September 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't really care for them on my hair. I find that just my natural wave all by itself is the best (go figure!) and has more body and movement.

ssjhotau2
September 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I only know how to do a normal braid, so it always looks funny on me.

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Awe, such nice compliments, thanks :)

I am not a huge fan of the flat crown either.... the only way I have found to remedy that is french braids. I think the braid waves from that old picture of me were from Double French braids done damp on dirty hair.

Sceleste
September 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I like herringbone braid waves but hate english braid waves.

I don't like the symmetrical waves that come from an english braid. They look too unnatural and "man-made". Herringbone braid waves look more natural.

Jemoiselle
September 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
and depending on your first answer
what do you do to encourage or discourage the braid waves?
I love love love my braid waves! My hair is like baby hair, and has no bulk somedays at all. My bun, when done tightly, makes my hair look like it is just long enough to make one hehe. I love the look of shock on peoples faces when I let it down! It is getting pretty close to classic! I can't wait! Anyways, when I wash my hair, I do it at night with CWC. Sometimes, very rarely I will braid it while wet and sleep on it. The next day, mid day I let it free and it looks like I have alot more hair hehe. The big lie. Why not? *wink* I envy you ii's and iii's! My Momma's best friend has such unbelievable thick blonde hair, and she hates it so much! Sheesh. She has a stylist cut the underneath off to fake being thin like mine. I'll never understand I guess...

Gosh I am just loving this site, btw. I'm still getting the hang of how to effectively check up on replies to my comments etc but wow, what a lovely high quality bunch of people. Where have you been all my life? This site picks me up when I am down, and I don't even know anyone yet.

A big thank you ALL for being here. What a GREAT place to be. I can feel the positive energy just teaming.

Jemoiselle

Unnamed
September 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hmm. Hard. I like them...for the short time they last. My hair does not hold wave/curl well at all, though, so I guess I'm neutral.

And then I only really like 'em if it's a french braid or double french braid into a braid, and only if that's done on clean hair (only way to have a chance of wavy all over right at first). Wavy pictures are generally one of those two on damp or just dried hair, left in over night after washing.

Within a bit it just gets...weird looking as it falls out, and if I braid over braid waves, the waves end up really patchy and it just looks bad. The exception might be freshly unbraided and put in a pony tail, which helps hide the inconsistencies as the waves fall out.

Braid waves don't impact updos at all, so there's no reason to discourage them. If for some reason I'd want the waves gone, I'd probably just wash my hair.

itsMEowKat
September 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I love braid waves! They give my hair more "fullness", and it's natural but uneven waviness direction. I encourage them by lightly oiling my hair before braiding (I like coconut oil).

~Kat
=^..^=

Xanthippe
September 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I am not a huge fan of the flat crown either.... the only way I have found to remedy that is french braids. I think the braid waves from that old picture of me were from Double French braids done damp on dirty hair.

You look so pretty Arctic_Mama!

I agree with the double French braids providing more even waves. I wear my hair to bed in these sometimes and it looks pretty and full the next morning. Damp braiding is a must for me.

Sometimes I even braid and bun and get bun-braid waves, but those make my ends stick out in all sorts of directions so I don't recommend it! :lol:

mira-chan
September 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
My natural waves look like braid waves, just less organized, so I like them.

I don't really need to do anything to encourage them other than braid my hair. It doesn't even have to be wet.

Carolyn
September 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I really dislike them. I wouldn't be seen in public with my hair in braid waves. The straight tassel with the 3 distinct sections of waviness is not a pretty sight, especially in my hair. If I braid my hair damp, I do it knowing that my hair cannot be worn down until it's washed again. It's not really a problem for me. There are a few people here who have posted pics of braid waves that I do find attractive but most pics of braid waves look like Cousin Itt to me. Sorry people :flowers:

Gladtobemom
September 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I love them.

On me they look best if I oiled my hair well before braiding. Then after I've had it in a braid for a day and a night I unbraid.

My hair looks shiny and smoothly wavy. One of my favorite ways to wear my hair.

It lasts too, for at least two days, I can just rebraid at night and take it loose in the morning.

Juneii
September 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I love braid waves, it makes my hair look curly without it getting tangled.
I usually separate my hair into three french braids when it's damp and go to sleep with it.
aaaaaaanddd
voila! wavy/curly hair without the heat damage! it actually looks pretty good on me :]

CherishedOne
September 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I think that braid waves are adorable----but I just seem to NOT have the knack for them! I'm hoping that when my hair is 30" (i.e. around BSL) I'll be able to have semi-decent braid waves. Here's to hoping! ;)

Tressie
September 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, I do like the natural look of braid waves, but as Cinnamon.locks said, I'd prefer the ends curled too (o: I don't really wear my hair in braids lately, mostly bun it! I have had some wild waves from a tightly wound eternity bun upon taking it down!

LadyLongLocks
September 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I like braid waves. They are nice for a change. To create them I braid my hair after it is freshly washed and almost dry. I leave a big single braid in for several hours or overnight. It looks interesting for photos as it adds texture and the light reflects off the waves. I think it's a good way to have a different look and it's also very easy and safe. It also adds volume to a bun.
:)Here is a photo, one of my favorites of my waves:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=200&pictureid=20316

MadHatter
September 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I don't like braid waves. My hair doesn't look wavy, it only looks kinked. I can't really do anything to prevent them, except refrain from braiding if I want to wear my hair down before washing.

Nicole.Amina
September 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I only know how to do a normal braid, so it always looks funny on me.

I hate braid waves for the same reason.

crystal_89
September 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I don't like braid waves in my hair. So I only wear braids if I know I'm going to wash my hair again before I wear it down otherwise I don't wear my hair down. Same goes for bun waves.

GoldenRed
September 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
If I could get even braid waves, I'd love them.

soleluna
September 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't ;)
I either don't braid or braid damp hair ;)

sapphire-o
September 7th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I frequently braid damp hair after washing. Most of the time I like braid waves. Actually they look pretty much like my natural waves, just more regular. I usually take the braids out before bed, so by next day I really can't tell if it's braid waves or just my own.

I don't like bun waves at all. Maybe it's just me but the big ups and downs of hair look very very unnatural.

Intemporelle
September 7th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I used to like braid waves but now my hair is getting longer and I have to do a braid every night, so in the morning I have always some waves. It bother me. Moreover, I have the feeling that my hair is shorter because of the waves...

goldenwaves
September 7th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Yes I LOVE them!! They are fantastic!! I put my hair in a single french braid when damp and leave it overnight to get mine.

Katahdin
September 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I love braid waves, but unless I braid damp/wet before going to bed, they never hold. Braiding dry does absolutely nothing, not even a hint of volume.

But when I do braid wet overnight, they turn out fantastic =D Closer to curly and wavy, even.

Arctic
September 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I really like the waves a crownbraid gives me, all the way from crown to ends! My hair is a bit short to make a precentable crownbraid but it's long enough to crownbraid for waving purposes :D

For everyone who says they don't like the flat crown look many braids give you, I wanted to point out that often natural wave pattern has a flat crown area and the waving starts later on the length.

Eireann
September 10th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't say dislike, but I do think they look goofy on me. I have wavy hair to start with, and braid waves on me look kind of bumpy and odd, as the top half of my head is a different texture than the rest. If I braid my hair, then I wash or wet it before I wear it down again. I guess if my hair were longer, so the braid wave portion dominated, then I might like them better.

Slug Yoga
September 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Like 'em! I like having waves in my hair. Grass is always greener, etc., and it seems to add volume to my hair as well as looking pretty. Every now and then I feel like I want to see my natural texture, though.

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I like them if I can get the waves close to the hem and as long as they are moisturized enough (with camellia oil - YAY!) to be smooth and not frizzy.

Fencai
September 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
i love them! and to encourage them, I try to keep my braid as long as I can.

Reptilia
September 10th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I love them! Fast and easy and look amazing.

jivete
September 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't care for braid waves on myself because they don't seem to match the natural wave in my hair (they're too tight). Plus they give me weird ends and make the hair straight to the ears. Maybe when my hair's longer...

ClareDee
September 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a little surprised to see how many people don't like braid waves... I can't wait to have braid waves! Or braids at all :happydance:

susiemw
September 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
[quote=Arctic;263110]I really like the waves a crownbraid gives me, all the way from crown to ends! quote]

Me too, I love braid waves any time, but a couple weeks ago
did a crown braid on wet & oiled hair prior to going to an outdoor festival... and when i took it down the next day,
it was gorgeous! and the waves were all over including the crown and bangs and not just the length so I really loved it.

Susan

mcelweewife
September 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I call this style a braidout! I wore this look all summer! I would co-wash and then do 12 braids all over, making sure to put rollers on the ends. By the next morning, it's dry and the waves last all day. I co-wash and redo them daily.
In the past I have had bone straight ends and it looked ridiculous. Thanks to Macherie Amore's

roller -on- the -ends -tip, it comes out ON point, with cute little curlies on the ends!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gy0meC51rA

My hair is relaxed like hers is, so it REALLY helps me to blend my wavy roots once I am 8 weeks or more post relaxer touch up. I relax my roots every 24 weeks.

This is a great low maintenance style!

mcelweewife
September 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
By the way, I don't pull my braids apart quite as much as she does, because I like a more uniform look!

MsBubbles
September 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
On me right now they look horrendous. With my growing-out highlights, dark roots, poker-straight hair they look like I'm growing out a bad perm. Also the fact that I can't french braid my hair without pulling lots of strands out or snapping them has a lot to do with it. However, I am looking forward to having longer hair closer to one natural color and one length so a french braid looks halfway pretty. Maybe then the braid waves will look awesome.

Little_Bird
September 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hmm, really it would depend on the hair...

I do love braid waves, but I prefer to see them on blunt hair with straight ends. I say this because my hair is not like that, so my braid waves get very messy. They look like three locks of hair separated from each other, and when I try to blend them they just look fuzzy.

My sister, on the other hand, has ends like I mentioned, and her braid waves are beautyfull and shiny :)

I also think my braid waves are strange because my natural hair texture is wavy so... it might be a conflict with the natural waves and the braid waves... Go figure hehe

Edited to say: Don't be fooled by the pictures I post haha! I have braid waves in my siggy... (Or my mirror hates me and doesn't show what I see in the camera or I really can fix my hair VERY well for pictures lol)...

Oh well!

Gecko
September 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I like them, but I don't braid my hair very often. I think to encourage them I need to leave the braid for several hours possibly with a styling product put on before and/or after. I'm doing that today...

Medvssa
September 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I wish they would work for me, my hair turns into an incredible frizz ball :(

Longlove
September 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I loooove braid waves, and would loooove to figure out how to make mine look less of a disaster!

My hair is straight, fine, and has long layers on the ends. Because of this, the braids get thinner and tighter (and therefore the hair gets kinky-er) as I plait the length. This was even a problem before I cut layers.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and found a solution to it?

Meli
September 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I loooove braid waves, and would loooove to figure out how to make mine look less of a disaster!

My hair is straight, fine, and has long layers on the ends. Because of this, the braids get thinner and tighter (and therefore the hair gets kinky-er) as I plait the length. This was even a problem before I cut layers.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and found a solution to it?

Yes, my braidwaves gets like that too, because I have lots of taper from old breakage. If I want extra nice braidwaves, I add cloth stripes/thick yarn/fake hair/whatever - more and more as the braids get thinner. This makes the thickness, and thus the waves, more even all the way down. It also allows me to braid past the ends and get waves all the way down - no straight part where the tassel would have been.

I love braidwaves, and I think the best ones are produced with French/Dutch braids. I'm curious to try a crown braid, too.

CurlyNinja
September 12th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I wish they would work for me, my hair turns into an incredible frizz ball :(

Same here. It just doesn't come out looking right on me.

danacc
September 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I love braid waves. I get mine from damp hair braided loosely all the way to the end, then left unfastened. My hair has some wave naturally, so braiding this way leaves no demarcation at the ends. Before I had waves, I hated the wave-to-straight-end portion.

Now, I love the waves, but always wear my hair up, so I don't see them much.

rubyredslippers
September 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I like braid waves on others, and in principle. But on me, I don't like how they look in the back, the way that they start higher. I don't mind pigtail-braid ones though. I just wish the ends would curl under a bit better, or something.

I don't braid at night though, I loosely bun on the top of my head, so I don't encouter braid waves often, because once they're set, they're kinks in my hair until the next time it gets washed. I prefer spiral curls, and damp-bun curls, for volume.

Katze
September 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I really don't like braid waves on me. They ruin my own wave pattern and make my hair flatter on top, crimped-looking on the length, then kinked at the ends. Very unattractive. I'd rather damp bun or damp twist and encourage my own lazy spiral waves.

If i do braid I do it on the last day before washing, on "aged" hair that stays better in a braid (my hair is very very unruly) and brush/oil my hair as smooth as possible before braiding. This gives me hideous braid waves, but then I can wash them out.

While there are some beautiful pics of braid waves here on this site my own experience with them is so negative that I always have problems understanding peoples' desire to have them.

Oh, when I was a kid and had much straighter hair, they did work - also my mom did the braiding - maybe straight vs wavy is the difference?

Curlsgirl
September 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I hate braid waves on me. They just don't do right. I like them on others with less curl though. I agree that they seem to fight with my normal wave/curl pattern and that's probably why they don't do good on my hair.

LibbyO
September 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I love the waves, but my hair is so straight and heavy, and quite fine, that they rarely stay in for more than an hour, and if I brush/comb my hair, which is pretty necessary as it is very tangly, then they go frizzy and don't look good. It's a shame.

mooglewoo
September 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I encourage them-by wearing braids of course! And I keep them by scrunching with Aloe Vera Gel-the clear kind-I think it's Fruit of the Earth? It rinses clean, too, so I don't need to worry about shampoo. (I don't use the stuff often.)

Vitalai
September 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I love them. I usually do two french braids for all over waves. Two problems I have though are that my hair is naturally straight, so it usually loses its curl in a few hours, and the ends don't curl.

plainjanegirl
October 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I really like braid waves but I am trying to find ways to improve mine so they look nice enough to wear loose and down. I can get nice braid waves by wetting my hair first and putting some coconut oil on the hair and then braiding but no matter how little oil I use they look greasy when taken out and if I get them too wet then the waves won't turn out too good either. Any ideas????

ravenreed
October 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I love them, except with my hair being layered which makes my tassel part really long that comes out weird looking compared to the rest.

freznow
October 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Sometimes mine look good, sometimes they don't. Like in my current sig, they don't look so great. They're okay, but... meh.

On the other hand, when my hair is moisturized and actually BEHAVING in the first place, I get just a few waves that look REALLY nice, they emphasize the shine and add body, rather than so many chaotic conflicting ones like my sig. The straight at the top/bottom doesn't matter as much because the braid waves at that point in time aren't very dense or anything.

Though, I have to say, the poofy braid waves like in my sig are nice when I want to look like a hippie :D But I prefer my other waves.

I very extremely rarely don't have braid waves in my hair.

(And for what it's worth, french/dutch braids have only ever added frizz, not wave. My hair just doesn't hold onto the waves enough for that, I guess.)

Butterflylady
October 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
My hair is only just bsl, so I can't make good braid waves yet. But I think they are beautiful in long hair and I can't wait until I'm able to do them.

Cantabile
October 28th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I rather like braid-waves, so long as they're loose enough that my ends aren't noticeably straighter than the rest of my hair :p Unfortunately, they just don't seem to stay in my hair. After a few hours, it's just a very faint wavy pattern to my hair, slightly wavier than my faint natural wave, but not by much. :D

Sarahmoon
October 28th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I like them! They are a nice side-effect from braiding my hair for the night for protection :)

kwaniesiam
October 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Braid waves used to be the only way I'd wear my hair down when it was longer. I'd french braid after washing at night then mist with some diluted AVG and distilled water. Next morning, unbraid and fingercomb. This was the typical result though they did get fuzzy after most of the day.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/002-2.jpg

CryssieWillow
October 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Dislike.
My hair needs so little to go poof anyways. Fuzzy braidwaves make me look like I got electrocuted.
Bunwaves are a different matter but they match my own spiralling wave pattern.

I hardly braid my hair and if I do, I don't braid wet hair and I don't leave it in for a long time. If I get braidwaves I bun my hair.

aries
October 28th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Dislike. My hair gets really frizzy after it's braided for a while. The only nice thing about it is I have to dampen it to get the frizzy down and then bun it which smoothes it out.

I do braid at night for bed since it's the only comfortable way for me to sleep with my hair at this time.

goatgal
October 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Love braid waves. In fact, I damp braid at night for the special effect if I'm planning to wear hair down the next day. I only do it for special occasions, but the effect is dramatic, no one expects an older, silver haired lady to have waist length, wavy hair.