PDA

View Full Version : Flyaways protective hair styles and what to use as a leave in other than oils? HEELPP

lole18
October 18th, 2013, 09:39 AM
So i have a couple of questions! Is it bad to put products in my then leave it in a towel till its 70% dry? for more than an hour to 2? Another question is i have fly aways what can i do to hold them down withot using harmful products like mousse or gel i'm going silicone free as well so i need a homemade leave in other than oil cause oils dont suit me! And i dont know how to braid well and using hair bandannas is bad since i already have TONS of breakage my hair is so uneven and my hair is super fine and thin.. Also is it nesessary to do a protective hairstyle while sleeping? If you have one that doesn't involve braiding and is easy cause my breakage is terrible! I thought about using my conditioner as a leave in but i'm scared it woud break me out cause i have sensitive skin and all the silicone free leave ins where i live are too expensive! HELP!

sarahthegemini
October 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Erm, mousses and gels aren't harmful if you choose wisely. Also, as a leave-in, just use some of your conditioner - if you're sensitive to the ingredients then I would imagine you would break out after using it as a RO, so if you've suffered no ill effects so far, try it as a LI. That may tame your flyaways as well as give more slip so you might not need any additional products. You could also just buy another condish that doesn't break you out (if that actually happens) It doesn't have to specifically be a product marketed as a leave in, just get an ordinary wash out conditioner and try that as a LI.

As for the towel question - well, I suppose it depends, is it a soft towel or a rough towel? If anything, it might simply be the cause of your flyaways/frizz.

If your hair is really thin and breaking, then yes do something to protect your hair overnight. Get a sleep cap if poss, or satin/silk pillow cases.

breezefaerie
October 18th, 2013, 10:53 AM
You could also use an old, soft t-shirt instead of a towel. Loads of people on this site do that and have great results.
Aloe gel is great as a leave-in.

Can we ask what is your hair care routine?
What type of hair do you have?
How do you handle your hair?

Anje
October 18th, 2013, 11:11 AM
First off, I'd recommend that you try to find an alcohol-free hairgel. There are a LOT of them (often very inexpensive), and they aren't damaging. Second, if you're after a more natural product, making flax seed hair gel is quite easy and is supposed to work very well. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14852)

Silk and satin pillowcases and sleep bonnets are a great alternative to styling for sleep, and they're definitely my preference.

Tell us your hair history, products, hairtype, etc. We'll do our best to make a bunch of (possibly conflicting) suggestions!

summergreen
October 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=breezefaerie;2543142]You could also use an old, soft t-shirt instead of a towel. Loads of people on this site do that and have great results.
QUOTE]

Yes, this made a huge reduction in frizz for me (although I stopped doing it because without any frizz at all my hair looked limp on the second or third day :( ) so would definitely recommend it if frizz is your main concern!

biogirl87
October 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
lole18, I would say that you're better off leaving your hair loose the night before you plan to wear your hair up if you wear your hair up. This is the generally recommended advice even if some of the members here will try to convince you otherwise. Long term I don't think it is good to be wearing your hair up all the time. I have read this on several different sites, can't remember which ones exactly, but the main point here would be to give your hair a breather from having it up all the time. What I do (and my hair is also finer than I originally thought and tends to break before I start seeing split ends) is leave my hair loose if I plan to put it into an updo the next day but on days when I want to wear my hair loose I will usually put it in a sleep cap.

Also, if your hair doesn't like oils, I don't know what else you could do to try to tame flyaways. Thin hair tends to not do well with gels as gels tend to weigh thin hair down from what I've read. The circumference of my ponytail is 3.5" and if I use even a little bit of gel (maybe a quater-sized dollop), my hair becomes stringy and weighed down. I've read on naturallycurly.com that gels are recommended over mousse only for thick hair and silicone-free mousse tend to be expensive (I don't know where you live but the only silicone-free mousses I have been to find in drugstores is Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and Herbal Essences Tously Me Softly, both of which contain drying alcohols).

lole18
October 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Erm, mousses and gels aren't harmful if you choose wisely. Also, as a leave-in, just use some of your conditioner - if you're sensitive to the ingredients then I would imagine you would break out after using it as a RO, so if you've suffered no ill effects so far, try it as a LI. That may tame your flyaways as well as give more slip so you might not need any additional products. You could also just buy another condish that doesn't break you out (if that actually happens) It doesn't have to specifically be a product marketed as a leave in, just get an ordinary wash out conditioner and try that as a LI.

As for the towel question - well, I suppose it depends, is it a soft towel or a rough towel? If anything, it might simply be the cause of your flyaways/frizz.

If your hair is really thin and breaking, then yes do something to protect your hair overnight. Get a sleep cap if poss, or satin/silk pillow cases.

I use a shirt as a towel! And i'll try using my conditioner as a leave in but how much should i apply? i always forget to buy a satin\silk pillowcase :(

You could also use an old, soft t-shirt instead of a towel. Loads of people on this site do that and have great results.
Aloe gel is great as a leave-in.

Can we ask what is your hair care routine?
What type of hair do you have?
How do you handle your hair?

I live in Bahrain and we don't have aloe gel unless its for skin ive looked everywhere :( we can buy an aloe plant but its so dry no matter how much i watered it! i have very thin fine frizzy uneven lengthed hair some are till my collarbone some till my bsl it breaks really fast thats why :( my scalp is normal but my hair is very dry and extremely low porosity its very damage though i never use heat or chemicals it used to be a little curly now it never curls its just frizzy and damaged i keep cutting and the same thing happens so it isn't split ends i'm doing something wrong but i dont know what! I handle it very gently i wash it usually 3 times a week sometimes i use a sulfate free shampoo when i can find one now i'm trying to go silicone free and oil makes my hair shed A LOT MORE i have hypothyroid and vitamin defeciencies so that's why my hair sheds a lot i cant do anything about it :( so i use a deep hair treatment like coconut milk once a month and i finger comb with conditioner in my hair i take really good care of it i think but i dont know whats wrong :(

First off, I'd recommend that you try to find an alcohol-free hairgel. There are a LOT of them (often very inexpensive), and they aren't damaging. Second, if you're after a more natural product, making flax seed hair gel is quite easy and is supposed to work very well. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14852)

Silk and satin pillowcases and sleep bonnets are a great alternative to styling for sleep, and they're definitely my preference.

Tell us your hair history, products, hairtype, etc. We'll do our best to make a bunch of (possibly conflicting) suggestions!

I tried making a flaxseed gel before but it wouldn't thicken i dont know why!! Can you read the comment i wrote above? :) it has all my hair info!! THANKS YOURE SO HELPFUL

[QUOTE=breezefaerie;2543142]You could also use an old, soft t-shirt instead of a towel. Loads of people on this site do that and have great results.
QUOTE]

Yes, this made a huge reduction in frizz for me (although I stopped doing it because without any frizz at all my hair looked limp on the second or third day :( ) so would definitely recommend it if frizz is your main concern!

I started doing that as well but i was wonering if its damaging to leave it for that long :)

lole18, I would say that you're better off leaving your hair loose the night before you plan to wear your hair up if you wear your hair up. This is the generally recommended advice even if some of the members here will try to convince you otherwise. Long term I don't think it is good to be wearing your hair up all the time. I have read this on several different sites, can't remember which ones exactly, but the main point here would be to give your hair a breather from having it up all the time. What I do (and my hair is also finer than I originally thought and tends to break before I start seeing split ends) is leave my hair loose if I plan to put it into an updo the next day but on days when I want to wear my hair loose I will usually put it in a sleep cap.

Also, if your hair doesn't like oils, I don't know what else you could do to try to tame flyaways. Thin hair tends to not do well with gels as gels tend to weigh thin hair down from what I've read. The circumference of my ponytail is 3.5" and if I use even a little bit of gel (maybe a quater-sized dollop), my hair becomes stringy and weighed down. I've read on naturallycurly.com that gels are recommended over mousse only for thick hair and silicone-free mousse tend to be expensive (I don't know where you live but the only silicone-free mousses I have been to find in drugstores is Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and Herbal Essences Tously Me Softly, both of which contain drying alcohols).

but wont leaving it loose at night create more breakage which im very scared of its too much now :(

Idjit
October 18th, 2013, 06:08 PM
The aloe gel we talk about here IS the stuff for skin, just make sure you get a clear one. I don't think leaving your hair in a towel is that damaging, especially since you are using a tshirt.

In my opinion a sleep cap with silk or satin inside would be good for you if you can keep it on. I never have any luck with things on my head at night. I think the cap will keep your hair contained and prevent tangles/mechanical damage without you having to manipulate it too much.

rowie
October 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I'm another in favor of aloe vera gel. I make sure to get the clear kinds, and to me it works like any other gel and really controls those frizzies and stubborn new growth of hairs under control during really bad humid weather.

lole18
October 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM
The aloe gel we talk about here IS the stuff for skin, just make sure you get a clear one. I don't think leaving your hair in a towel is that damaging, especially since you are using a tshirt.

In my opinion a sleep cap with silk or satin inside would be good for you if you can keep it on. I never have any luck with things on my head at night. I think the cap will keep your hair contained and prevent tangles/mechanical damage without you having to manipulate it too much.

I'm another in favor of aloe vera gel. I make sure to get the clear kinds, and to me it works like any other gel and really controls those frizzies and stubborn new growth of hairs under control during really bad humid weather.

Yes what i meant was we dont have the clear kind! Do u know how can i use the one from inside the plant? :)

biogirl87
October 18th, 2013, 08:02 PM
but wont leaving it loose at night create more breakage which im very scared of its too much now :(If it does, I haven't noticed it.

jacqueline101
October 18th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm going through a break off patch regrowing issue. I use a leave in conditioner on mine. If your are against this try sugar water. It makes a natural hairspray.

lole18
October 18th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I'm going through a break off patch regrowing issue. I use a leave in conditioner on mine. If your are against this try sugar water. It makes a natural hairspray.

I'm not against it but i don't have silicone free leave ins in my area there are some but are way too expensive :) the sugar water isn't harmful? how can i make it should i heat the water?

Panth
October 19th, 2013, 05:39 AM
To extract aloe gel from the plant, see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRZZ2Ha940), though perhaps don't cut towards your fingers like she does! (Also, I've never seen such an enormous aloe leaf!)

To use regular conditioner as a leave-in, just treat it similarly to oil. I.e. wet your hands (unlike when oiling) but then put a tiny spot of conditioner on your palm. Rub your palms together to evenly distribute a thin sheen of slightly diluted conditioner all over them. Then, smooth your hands down the length of your hair. Depending on your thickness, you may need to section the hair before smoothing your hands down it.

Another way to use regular conditioner as a leave in is to put a tiny squirt in the bottom of a spray bottle, then top up with water. Spray onto the length of the hair as and when you need it.

Either of those methods will require a bit of optimisation - e.g. how much conditioner to put on your hands / add to your bottle, how often to apply, whether to apply on damp or dry hair, etc.

lole18
October 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM
To extract aloe gel from the plant, see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRZZ2Ha940), though perhaps don't cut towards your fingers like she does! (Also, I've never seen such an enormous aloe leaf!)

To use regular conditioner as a leave-in, just treat it similarly to oil. I.e. wet your hands (unlike when oiling) but then put a tiny spot of conditioner on your palm. Rub your palms together to evenly distribute a thin sheen of slightly diluted conditioner all over them. Then, smooth your hands down the length of your hair. Depending on your thickness, you may need to section the hair before smoothing your hands down it.

Another way to use regular conditioner as a leave in is to put a tiny squirt in the bottom of a spray bottle, then top up with water. Spray onto the length of the hair as and when you need it.

Either of those methods will require a bit of optimisation - e.g. how much conditioner to put on your hands / add to your bottle, how often to apply, whether to apply on damp or dry hair, etc.

Oh my the aloe is so huge!! mine is probably 1\7th its size lol :( thank yoou!

Panth
October 20th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Oh my the aloe is so huge!! mine is probably 1\7th its size lol :( thank yoou!

I know. I've never seen an aloe that huge either! Perhaps this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbe3QhJACo) is more like your aloe?

In any case, I don't think it'd matter too much. You don't need much for sticking down flyaways and you can always dilute it a bit with water. Just keep the excess in the fridge - the author of the first video I linked said the gel can be kept in the fridge for at least 5-6 weeks.