PDA

View Full Version : Henna colors?

Shibe
October 18th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I have naturally ashy brown hair, with really light blonde at my temples and forehead. Is there a Henna color that is close to what my natural color is?

Rio040113
October 18th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I've never used Henna (although it calls to me like a siren :lol:) but I think Cassia/Senna (http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/cassiaobovata.html) could be close to what you're looking for? I think it gets referred to as 'colourless', 'neutral' or 'clear' Henna, as far as I know it would/could add a golden tone to your hair? I believe it has all/most of the benefits of Henna (minus the colour) but its effects are more temporary? Again, I've never used Henna, Cassia, Indigo or any combination thereof, so hopefully someone with actual knowledge/experience will come along soon and enlighten you (and me!) :D

Bagginslover
October 18th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Henna is red. Thats it, no other colours. Senna is golden, or colourless on darker hair, indigo is blue. By mixing the 3, in varuying quantities, you can get different colours, but henna alone is always red.

Anje
October 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Just another saying that henna is red-orange and senna is yellowish -- neither is ashy. You might be able to add some ashy tones with indigo or buxus, but if you mix them with henna or senna, you might have problems with the indigo/buxus fading and revealing more of the yellow/red tones.

IMO, getting a match for anything except maybe red hair or black hair is a losing proposition with henna/senna/indigo/etc. You can get nice colors, but matching is hard and ashy tones don't typically last.

AmyBeth
October 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I've used henna on my hair and nails. What I see is that henna is like wrapping each hair in a very tiny layer of orange cellophane. The more you use it, the deeper the color gets. It is translucent, so it doesn't remove your color or cover your color, it coats your color with its own color. That's why it is different on everyone. You mix or layer henna with other plant dyes to alter or add to the henna. But when the sun hits it, you will always have the flash of red/orange.

torrilin
October 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Nthing that henna is orangy red. It's also really permanent. If you love red hair on you and are dying to be a redhead, henna is a great choice. Hair dye is waaaay better than death. If you love your natural red hair, henna is a great choice. Otherwise, I do not think it's a good idea.

prettyinpink
October 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Moroccan henna and Jamilla henna is orangey red. It really pretty, I love it

Shibe
October 18th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I didn't know about Cassia or Senna, but I will look into it! Thanks.

Rio040113
October 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Good luck :)