PDA

View Full Version : Analyse my bad hair dream...

melikai
September 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Seems I may be getting rather caught up in the hairiness, as last night I had a very vivid nightmare where I was standing in front of a mirror and suddenly all this hair started to fall out. I looked more closely, thinking it was just a fluke, and reached up to touch the area that it had come from (the front), and more fell! The hairs that were falling were shorter, newer ones. It fell in sudden "spurts", like rain or something, and made a shimmering sound.

It was so vivid that I thought it was real, and was very relieved when I woke up afterwards. Sheesh. shudder:

Anyone else have hair nightmares? I have my own analysis of what mine meant, but would be curious what anyone else thinks, if there's anything to be gleaned from it at all.

Barca
September 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Once I had a dream that I was the character GI Jane- but really me- in the buzz cut scene.Not cool...

melikai
September 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
hahaha! Now that sounds worse than mine ;)

DragonLady
September 5th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Is your life moving in "spurts" right now? Everything starts moving along and growing, but then suddenly comes to a temporary standstill or moves in reverse for awhile?

Neen
September 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Maybe just a fear of losing the new growth you've gained recently?

I had a sort of hair nightmare last night as well, the whole dream was a bit unsettling but in the end a strong wind picked up and blew my hair in my face so I couldn't see and it was all black (my hair colour), and then it was like the wind and my hair and the blackness combined into a force that was trying to get me... I tried to growl at it for some strange reason which is when I woke up and my growl was just a whimper...

DragonLady
September 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I had a sort of hair nightmare last night as well, the whole dream was a bit unsettling but in the end a strong wind picked up and blew my hair in my face so I couldn't see and it was all black (my hair colour), and then it was like the wind and my hair and the blackness combined into a force that was trying to get me... I tried to growl at it for some strange reason which is when I woke up and my growl was just a whimper...

Something (or someone) in your life you really don't want to face? Something with the power to "get you" in ways you don't want to be "gotten"?

melikai
September 5th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Is your life moving in "spurts" right now? Everything starts moving along and growing, but then suddenly comes to a temporary standstill or moves in reverse for awhile?

I *do* feel lately like I've been losing sight of my priorities and like everything is going nowhere. Things seemed to be progressing and real positive change seemed to be occurring, and now it all feels lacklustre and stale and I feel like I'm going back to bad habits out of boredom and to distract myself.

You're good!

FrannyG
September 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
It sounds a lot like the classic teeth-falling-out dreams, which generally mean that you feel that things are a bit out of your control at the moment.

I think that in your case it translated into hair rather than teeth, because that's what you're focused on right now.

Nes
September 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
If we are talking metaphorically I agree that it sounds like it is related to feelings of not being in control.

It could also be much more literal - you are happy with your longer hair and are scared of losing it!

I once dreamt that I was sitting at a bus stop with my hair in a low ponytail and a man ran up behind me, chopped off my pony with some scissors and ran off with it.

It was so vivid, I remember feeling the back of my head and there just being a chunk of short stubbly hair where my ponytail was.

I woke up in hysterics. Now, if i'm waiting at a bus stop or standiong somewhere that people can stand behind me, I pull my hair round to the front and hold on to it!

Nes x

kunibob
September 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
It sounds a lot like the classic teeth-falling-out dreams, which generally mean that you feel that things are a bit out of your control at the moment.

I think that in your case it translated into hair rather than teeth, because that's what you're focused on right now.

This was my immediate thought -- I get teeth-falling-out dreams pretty regularly, and this sounded a lot like that. Waking up from those dreams is such a feeling of total relief!

(I suppose this is somewhat on-topic: I had a dream that a mod on this forum edited my post to correct a "grammar error." I was peeved because what I had written was still grammatically correct. I was stomping around my house yelling, "I thought the community was so warm and welcoming! I've been betrayed!" I woke up angry for a few seconds, and then started to laugh once I realized how unrealistic the dream was and how melodramatic my reaction had been. ;))

Anje
September 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm going to go with the most obvious interpretation -- you like your hair and the idea of losing it is scary. Though the interpretation that you're feeling a bit out of control sounds good to me, too.

I've gotten one or two where my hair is choking me. (Of course, those dreams lessened considerably when I started putting my hair in a bonnet at night, so my sleep braid didn't get wrapped around my neck anymore.)

midnighttrain
September 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I once dreamt that I was sitting at a bus stop with my hair in a low ponytail and a man ran up behind me, chopped off my pony with some scissors and ran off with it.

It was so vivid, I remember feeling the back of my head and there just being a chunk of short stubbly hair where my ponytail was.

I woke up in hysterics. Now, if i'm waiting at a bus stop or standiong somewhere that people can stand behind me, I pull my hair round to the front and hold on to it!

Nes x

:o Now that is a realllly scary dream. I probably would've been freaked out for a while after that one.
No hair dreams yet for me.

Shadow Walker
September 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I've had a reoccuring dream where I'm standing in the bathroom in front of the mirror, combing out my hair for several minutes. I then pick up an electric razor and start shaving my head from the front to the back until all my hair is gone and only about a quarter of an inch long.

In my dream I'm happy about shaving my hair off, and I'm smiling as I'm running my hand over my stubbly hair, and this dream is so real that I swear I can actually feel my buzzed hair. It's then that I wake up and immediately check to see if my hair is still intact since it is a very real feeling dream, and I have no clue what it's supposed to mean. I love my hair and would be beside myself if anything happened to it, I don't even want to get it trimmed (and I probably should before the ends get worse)....

Elphie
September 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
It sounds like your subconscious has a bit of a twisted sense of humor, shadow walker.

Seriously, I do think our minds just play with scenarios, even ones we don't actually want. I try to think of it as a "what if?" moment.

RavennaNight
September 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I tend to have hair dreams...especially if I fall asleep on the hair forum :p. But I agree your dream sounds like the "tooth loss" dreams. Mine "tooth loss" dreams are more literal: I have car dreams. Life too fast? Dream "Brake" light starts flashing on my dashboard. "Check Engine" more often, though.

Shadow Walker
September 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
It sounds like your subconscious has a bit of a twisted sense of humor, shadow walker.

Seriously, I do think our minds just play with scenarios, even ones we don't actually want. I try to think of it as a "what if?" moment.

Heh, it must! I had a shaved head for many years, even bald at times, and my mind should certainly know by now that I'm sick of it! :p

Angelica
September 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Dreaming about your hair falling out actually has nothing to do with your hair at all as odd as that might sound. In actual fact you are subconsciously worrying about your health.

For example: To dream of birth = death (not necessarily physical death I should add it could mean an end to a situation you are in).

To dream of death = birth (or the start of something new).

Another dream similar to hair falling out is teeth falling out. Same meaning.

At least that is what my dream dictionaries say at home here. :)

MsBubbles
September 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Well that's weird. 5 nights ago I dreamed that a lock of my hair about 1/2" around just fell out of my head for no apparent reason. I woke up in a panic. It started almost a whole week's worth of other unrelated nightmares.

I recently had to drop out of a class due to work and stress (oh and failing the class!).

I bet a ton of people on this site have the 'hair falling out' dreams. Can't say I've ever had a 'teeth falling out' dream.

Marlowe
September 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Y'all are a bad influence, just last night I had my first dream about my hair, in the dream I was looking in the mirror and I suddenly noticed my hair was looking thin on top and I could see my scalp easily. The fact that that could happen in RL isn't making me feel good either. (I have hypothyroidism and persistant dermatitis on my scalp and at one point years ago the dermatitis was so severe my hair *did* fall out in large patches.).

RavennaNight
September 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Oh no now I had one last night too! I dreamt I went to the hairstylist who was badgering me 2 years ago to go back to blonde and she CUT MY HAIR to CHIN LENGTH and BLEACHED it into oblivion. :shocked: NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! And then I was sobbing and everytime in the mirror it was aweful and it made me look old and drawn like Nicole Kidman has been lately. Then I woke up. Sigh!

MadHatter
September 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'll bet you had the dream simply because you're making an effort with your hair, to get it nice and long.
I have these dreams, too. As a matter of fact, the last one I had was just last night. I was in someone's house, and there was a girl in the bathroom straightening her hair. She stepped out, and I walked in and grabbed her straightener. I used it on my own hair, knowing full well that I shouldn't lol, and noticed that the sections of hair I passed over with the iron were no longer "fluid", but rather stiff. I thought to myself "I probably shouldn't post about this on LHC."

rubyredslippers
September 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I have bad hair dreams once in a while. For instance, last week or the week before I dreamt that I dyed my hair burgundy-red. I remember thinking immediately, "why did I do that? It's not even henna so my hair is going to be so dry! And it's going to take forever to grow out!"

Weird dream, eh?:p

Occasionally I have haircut dreams too, but not very often.

JessTheMess
September 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ugh I had a bad hair dream the other night! I was in my wedding dress getting ready and I turned and looked in the mirror, and my hair was bleach blonde! This is the second time I've had the same dream. (funny thing is I haven't even started to plan my wedding lol)

MadHatter
September 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I had another hair dream last night. I was sitting in lab, holding my newly chopped off ponytail in my hands. What's really weird was that the hair on my head was still the length it is now.

Vivien'
September 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Oh, I had my first hair dream the last night. Quite strange : I dreamt that I had a segmented braid (!) which broke near a tie. So I had about 10 cm of braid in my hand. This was because of the tie which had cut (yes I was an agressive tie band) all the hair at its level.
The morning I was surprised to have all my hair... :)

Kiraela
September 22nd, 2008, 01:17 AM
You know, I had a dream that I tried to dye my hair with indigo only... and only on the right side of my head! In the dream, it turned out a deep, vivid blue and broke off at chin length... so I had tb+, twotone hair on the left, and an indigo blue bob on the right side.

And, in the dream, I thought it looked good. Go figure.

MadHatter
September 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
You know, I had a dream that I tried to dye my hair with indigo only... and only on the right side of my head! In the dream, it turned out a deep, vivid blue and broke off at chin length... so I had tb+, twotone hair on the left, and an indigo blue bob on the right side.

And, in the dream, I thought it looked good. Go figure.

I once dreamt that a henna session produced this awesome light ocean blue. It was so cool looking.

Nevermore
September 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Last night I finished reading this thread before going to sleep and promptly had TWO hair nightmares! In one, I was standing in front of the mirror and realized I had little bald patches near my front hairline (possibly because I had a bald patch scare recently, I must have a patch of hair that falls out at roughly the same time and after washing my hair with something other than water, the 2 inch long baby hair stood up and made me look bald there XD) and said to myself, "I think this is a dream. A bad hair nightmare. I blame LHC and I'm posting about this in the morning. Hope I don't forget."

My second bad hair dream involved a shoulder length cut that had obviously been blown straight, then flipped up at the ends. My girlfriend was stroking my hair and I realized, hey, it's short!

melikai
September 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM

Sorry, I forgot about the thread that I started! Oops.

Anyways, during a very very stressful time in my life, I had many of these teeth dreams - they were the most horrible thing! This dream did have a similar feeling to the teeth ones, so you may very well be right.

melikai
September 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Dreaming about your hair falling out actually has nothing to do with your hair at all as odd as that might sound. In actual fact you are subconsciously worrying about your health.

For example: To dream of birth = death (not necessarily physical death I should add it could mean an end to a situation you are in).

To dream of death = birth (or the start of something new).

Another dream similar to hair falling out is teeth falling out. Same meaning.

At least that is what my dream dictionaries say at home here. :)

Thanks for this too (and all other input from everyone)! Although this dream was a while ago now, both interpretations are possible - it being about feeling out of control or concern about my health. Maybe a little of both, mixed in with not wanting my new hair growth to fall out!

melikai
September 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Oh no now I had one last night too! I dreamt I went to the hairstylist who was badgering me 2 years ago to go back to blonde and she CUT MY HAIR to CHIN LENGTH and BLEACHED it into oblivion. :shocked: NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! And then I was sobbing and everytime in the mirror it was aweful and it made me look old and drawn like Nicole Kidman has been lately. Then I woke up. Sigh!

Hahaha! Sorry to laugh but it is sort of funny that a few people are starting to have hair nightmares now. And the Nicole Kidman comment is just hilarious....

LaurelSpring
October 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I had a bad hair dream last night and found this thread on a search.
I was at a salon and decided I would let her henna my hair. In the dream my hair wasnt long though. It was above the shoulders. When she put the henna in she turned me around to look at the mirror and it was all purple. I got really upset and asked her to get it off now! She couldnt get it all off then deicded to trim it some. I didnt want a trim because it was already too short and she promised to just get the ends but then I saw chunks of hair falling and I grabbed one and it was over 2 inches and I started crying and yelling at her to stop. She was angry at me but then went to blow dry and style it and at first it didnt look too bad but the more she did the worse it looked and then it started foaming like the shampoo would never come out.

Maybe I am obsessing about my hair too much.

Darkhorse1
October 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Dreams are a blend of information that is stored in our brain. If you have a dream about your hair falling out/being cut, ask yourself if you read something about that recently.

I've always had hair nightmares in regards to it being hacked off. Now, I am such a lucid dreamer, I can make my hair grow again--like those dolls where you cut their hair, then pull it long again? I've done that several times and astonished the people who wanted to take my long hair away :D It's fun!!! I just liked once my hair was cut really short, and I took the length and pulled my hair back to it's original length! That was fun! :D

Now, if we could only do that in real life :D

MadHatter
October 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Now, if we could only do that in real life :D

That would be beyond awesome. I'd love to see how I'd look with a pixie and then pull my hair long again.

gallows_gallery
October 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think lots of people have hair nightmares!

I've often had dreams where a huge chunk of my hair gets cut off, and I have to cut it all.

The other night I actually had a dream, where I could sort of see myself at work in my black uniform (I'm a waitress), and my hair was cut in to a longish slanted bob. It was dyed black again, and was really realistic. I woke up and kind of liked it :S Not the idea of cutting it off...but how it looked!

lyria
October 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I had a hair nightmare two nights ago. I guess I was reading a few cassia andhenna threads out of curiosity to see if you could get some sort of shine conditioning benefit without any color deposite. I saw a few posts where people who had henna wanted to go back to their natural color. The responses seemed to indicate that there is no way to get it out but to grow it out.

So... I drempt that I had tried some sort of deep conditioning treatment (IRL just did my first coconut deep condition = awesome!). As I took the wrap off my head and unwound the towel, I saw that somehow henna had made it into the treatment and dyed the bottom four inches of my hair bright red! I remember debating whether to cut it off of try to dye it back (I have never dyed my hair). It was so real that when I woke up, I actually turned on the light, just to check!

MsBubbles
October 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Last night I dreamed I accidentally bleached my hair bright yellowy orange. In my dream I expected it all to fall out but it didn't.

My big dilemma these days while awake is to bleach or not to bleach.

Addy
November 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I finally had a bad hair dream.

Really weird I tell ya!

A piece of hair on the bottom right side of my head swelled up like 20 times it's usual size like there was something <think zitty pustule the length of my hair> needing to come out. shudder:

WTH is that all about! Geez O' Wiz! :disgust:

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM
No! How horrible and weird!

Anyway, thank goodness it was just a dream??

I am sure it means something, howvere?

Before I "came out" I used to dream I was walking down Michigan Ave in Chicago and realized I was BUTT NEKKID!

Since I came out, I have never had this dream agai?

I hope this MIGHT help? Pwerhaps, as some other post said that there is something that you need to do that is "freaking" you?

Addy
November 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks Robbi.

I don't know what it would be. Weird I tell ya.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Addy: I am glad it helped in some way???