PDA

View Full Version : Possibly wavy straighty needs advice on the Curly Girl Method.

TheWebsIWeave
October 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone! Please allow me to rant on my situation.
About a year ago,searching for a new beginning for my dry,shapeless,flat,bleached hair,i shaved my head. Since then, i live in a world of confusion! Basically, i am rediscovering my hair.
Now that it is short, my routine for my hair is very basic : wash & condition when needed, let air dry. That said, i am extremly surprised in the ways my hair dries now, namely it just refuses to lay on my head! It goes outward or dare i even say parallel to the floor and unless i scrunch my hair with a tiny bit of aloe gel i look like a giant sunflower.
We also had a few days of high humidity here, and while i never used to be bothered by them and they just made my seemingly 1a/M/ii hair flat (oh! how flat was the top of my head!), this time around the ends of my hair, even gelled, started to curl up. And now that i remember it, my mother who always had short hair always had some sort of strange structure in her's that she never bothered with and made her look like a wild child.
Am I a wavy that never knew it? Was it the chemical damage from bleaching that did that,along with my straighty ways?
Also it seems that i need to reconsider everything i know. I went a little through the Curly Girl Method, but i really don't know where to begin and i am really afraid of weighting my hair down and make it oily... (my hair is quite dry actually, but the smallest amount of moisturizer seemed to make it gross...). Where can i get started without scaring the heck out of myself and my hair?

lapushka
October 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
What might help is posting a picture of your hair for typing. Just shampoo, the conditioner is optional and let dry without touching!

DancingQueen
October 17th, 2013, 03:20 PM
It is possible that it was because of the damage. Once I grew out my own damage, my hair became more wurly/curly instead of frizzy/wavy. However, i once heard somewhere, that hair sometimes change texture when you shave it. I don't know if this is true, though, it is just something I heard.

I have no experience with short hair, but I can tell you what works for wavy hair. For smoothing it down, try a coconut oil treatment before you wash, and when it is dry, use a bit as a leave-in. If done right, it should keep it nice and behaved. Of course, you can always try some gel. Hope you will be able to figure it out. :)

summergreen
October 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Your rant made me laugh OP :) I would love to look like a giant sunflower! I used to have bleached (through years of highlights eventually merging into a full head of blonde) hair and mine was much wavier when it was damaged, so I had the opposite situation to you. Do you want to encourage the wave or smooth it out? I've recently been using Body Shop cottonseed curl boost and it's good for scrunching waves in - it does have cones though.

biogirl87
October 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
What might help is posting a picture of your hair for typing. Just shampoo, the conditioner is optional and let dry without touching!lapushka (it might help TheWebsIsWeave as well), I think the new visual hair typing guide recommends washing your hair the way you normally do. TheWebsIsWeave, unless you normally don't condition your hair after you shampoo it, for hair typing you would want to wash your hair how you normally do (without putting any styling products in) and then let it dry without touching.

torrilin
October 17th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I went a little through the Curly Girl Method, but i really don't know where to begin and i am really afraid of weighting my hair down and make it oily... (my hair is quite dry actually, but the smallest amount of moisturizer seemed to make it gross...).

So, stupid question here... what is "gross" hair to you? Got pictures?

I generally like curly and wavy hair that tends to form nice clumps, where it's easy to see the wave pattern. It takes pretty gentle handling to get that. The more you touch curly or wavy hair as it dries, the more the clumps tend to fall apart. On my 1c hair, that's not really an achievable look. The wave pattern is too large and fragile, and my hair is too fine and slithery to hold clumps. So even if I go full on Curly Girl with conditioner, leave in, curl creme and gel and everything air dried and scrunched in for maximum wave... by the time my hair is dry, I wind up with satiny sleek straight hair.

It definitely can look kinda weird and snakey while it's drying. But honestly, everyone's hair looks ridiculous when wet, and blow driers and my hair do not mix at all... so I'm pretty used to weird looking wet hair on my head.

Firefox7275
October 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Hello everyone! Please allow me to rant on my situation.
About a year ago,searching for a new beginning for my dry,shapeless,flat,bleached hair,i shaved my head. Since then, i live in a world of confusion! Basically, i am rediscovering my hair.
Now that it is short, my routine for my hair is very basic : wash & condition when needed, let air dry. That said, i am extremly surprised in the ways my hair dries now, namely it just refuses to lay on my head! It goes outward or dare i even say parallel to the floor and unless i scrunch my hair with a tiny bit of aloe gel i look like a giant sunflower.
We also had a few days of high humidity here, and while i never used to be bothered by them and they just made my seemingly 1a/M/ii hair flat (oh! how flat was the top of my head!), this time around the ends of my hair, even gelled, started to curl up. And now that i remember it, my mother who always had short hair always had some sort of strange structure in her's that she never bothered with and made her look like a wild child.
Am I a wavy that never knew it? Was it the chemical damage from bleaching that did that,along with my straighty ways?
Also it seems that i need to reconsider everything i know. I went a little through the Curly Girl Method, but i really don't know where to begin and i am really afraid of weighting my hair down and make it oily... (my hair is quite dry actually, but the smallest amount of moisturizer seemed to make it gross...). Where can i get started without scaring the heck out of myself and my hair?

Curly Girl will only make your hair oily if you actually use oils and butters. What do you mean by 'moisturiser', do you mean a humectant rich spray, oil or silicone rich conditioner or something else entirely? What do you mean by 'gross'?

To avoid build up with CG avoid most silicones, waxes including cetyl esters, butters, certain polyquats, mineral oil/ petrolatum. Start with your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity) and choose ingredients/ products based on that.

Panth
October 19th, 2013, 07:45 AM
You might find the New Visual Hairtyping Guide useful (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252).