PDA

View Full Version : Hair color problem (picture included)

Violet.
October 16th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I dyed my hair. It caught only on the roots. The roots are now the color I want, but the rest is still dark.

How can I fix this?
Should I just put dye on the parts that didn't catch it the first time, or?

The tips of my hair are light too, but they were even before the dying. They're not the problem.
But the difference between the roots and the rest of the hair is pretty obvious.

Hair picture (http://www.dodaj.rs/f/24/Hz/1iWJHwPT/kosa.jpg)

kganihanova
October 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
This probably isn't going to be much help to you but could you maybe add in some highlights in lieu of dying the length? Or you could dye the length and just baby your hair for a bit longer. Up to you :)

vindo
October 16th, 2013, 04:11 PM
It would be good to know what you dyed it with and what color or type of dye you had before.

Firefox7275
October 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Run strand tests on shed plughole hair, don't keep dying your head until you are confident of the results. Ensure the hair is all at a similar temperature, especially if you are using an ammonia free product.

Isilme
October 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
The more you colour it the brassier and lighter it will be when it fades (not to talk about the damage!) this applies to all colours and bleach with peroxide and/or ammonia. You really should get your hands on some amla like I suggested in your previous post. I think I gave you a link to a page where you can buy it. Or visit a hairdresser who is good with colour. The last option is to grow it out.
A dye fades with time so no worries if you don't like the dark, to speed it up you could do a deep, oil or honey treatment.
Please stop colouring at home, it will only get worse.

lapushka
October 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I actually hardly see what the problem is. There doesn't appear to be that much of a difference between the roots and the length. I'd leave it be.

Lyv
October 17th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Was it over previously dyed hair? It happens sometimes if you try to go lighter over a darker dye since color doesn't lift color. When that has happened to me I color oops'd and then recolored and it was back to all one color and then I just did 15 min on the roots and 5 on the length to refresh every other month. It doesn't look like a huge difference to me so maybe you can wait to see how it fades before trying to correct it. Going one shade darker w/ a semi on the roots might help it blend if you don't want to use anything harsh on it.

Violet.
October 17th, 2013, 06:00 AM
This probably isn't going to be much help to you but could you maybe add in some highlights in lieu of dying the length? Or you could dye the length and just baby your hair for a bit longer. Up to you :)
Yeah I was thinking of dying the length but I wasn't sure how do I go about it.

It would be good to know what you dyed it with and what color or type of dye you had before.

Wella Mousse color, 9/10. Before I don't know for sure what I had - bleach on the ends and on the length I'm not sure... I think it was some hair color but it wasn't darker than the roots or the color I applied now.

Run strand tests on shed plughole hair, don't keep dying your head until you are confident of the results. Ensure the hair is all at a similar temperature, especially if you are using an ammonia free product.
I like the color I got, I just want it all to be the same color.
It's not ammonia free, but how do I ensure it's all at a similar temperature? The roots are on the head, so they're warmer I'd say.

The more you colour it the brassier and lighter it will be when it fades (not to talk about the damage!) this applies to all colours and bleach with peroxide and/or ammonia. You really should get your hands on some amla like I suggested in your previous post. I think I gave you a link to a page where you can buy it. Or visit a hairdresser who is good with colour. The last option is to grow it out.
A dye fades with time so no worries if you don't like the dark, to speed it up you could do a deep, oil or honey treatment.
Please stop colouring at home, it will only get worse.
I don't mind it being light. As for brassy - well, it already is. My hair naturally was kinda brassy as well.
It doesn't have peroxide. I can't get amla because I'm underage and I can't order it. Growing it out would take more than two years and I'm just trying to fix the length color.

I actually hardly see what the problem is. There doesn't appear to be that much of a difference between the roots and the length. I'd leave it be.
It's hard to see on the picture, but it's really bad in person.

Was it over previously dyed hair? It happens sometimes if you try to go lighter over a darker dye since color doesn't lift color. When that has happened to me I color oops'd and then recolored and it was back to all one color and then I just did 15 min on the roots and 5 on the length to refresh every other month. It doesn't look like a huge difference to me so maybe you can wait to see how it fades before trying to correct it. Going one shade darker w/ a semi on the roots might help it blend if you don't want to use anything harsh on it.
Yes. But it wasn't a darker dye, it was light as well.
It's pretty bad in person, the difference is obvious.

Lyv
October 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I think the only way to get it back to all one color is (in my experience) either pulling out the dye and recoloring, going a darker shade or bleaching the length. I wouldn't try to adjust it by using another permanent dye to lighten the length because it'll probably end up getting darker not lighter. Even buying the exact same dye every time you do it can end up with hot roots and darker length because it doesn't lighten color as much as it does the roots. I've been coloring mine since I was 12/13 and have had this happen a few times so I know how frustrating it can be to try and fix.

Firefox7275
October 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah I was thinking of dying the length but I wasn't sure how do I go about it.

Wella Mousse color, 9/10. Before I don't know for sure what I had - bleach on the ends and on the length I'm not sure... I think it was some hair color but it wasn't darker than the roots or the color I applied now.

I like the color I got, I just want it all to be the same color.
It's not ammonia free, but how do I ensure it's all at a similar temperature? The roots are on the head, so they're warmer I'd say.

I don't mind it being light. As for brassy - well, it already is. My hair naturally was kinda brassy as well.
It doesn't have peroxide. I can't get amla because I'm underage and I can't order it. Growing it out would take more than two years and I'm just trying to fix the length color.

It's hard to see on the picture, but it's really bad in person.

If you were dying over old bleach/ dye a major problem you have may be high porosity so you have build up on the lengths where the 'toner' in the product has taken too strongly. You may be better using a peroxide free colour remover (Colour B4, Color Oops) to strip that out, rather than trying to redye and causing yet more damage/ increasing the porosity still further. Again run strand tests, stop using your head as a laboratory experiment.

To even out the temperature wrap the hair around your head don't bunch it up, use a shower cap or cling film/ Saran wrap and a towel turban over the top and be sure you are in a reasonably warm place not sat half nekkid in a drafty room.

Violet.
October 17th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Thank you! :)

vindo
October 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Wella Mousse color, 9/10

So I assume it could be semi permanent dye then?

The ends took the color better because they were bleached. Ends are also more porous due to natural weathering and them being much older. Roots might take the color well if they are rather light compared to the midsection.

I think to be really safe you should have a hair stylist take a look at it. They might recommend a more potent dye that will give you a more even result.
My guess is that dyeing it again will fix it as much as possible, but like I said, it is probably safer to have a stylist look at your hair irl.

misspurdy06
October 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Sounds like you got hot roots. Did you apply the color all over right away instead of applying to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5?

If so going a shade or 2 darker is a good option. This time apply to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5.

If you are still shooting for the same color you may want to try a haircolor remover non-bleaching (follow instructions to a T esp. if you get one that needs a 10v devloper), wait a day, then apply the color you wanted.

Or a quicker way though is more damaging. A gentle bleach all over then apply the color you originally wanted, again: applying to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5mins because your hair still has similar porosity.

I've done this a million times.

Violet.
October 18th, 2013, 10:12 AM
So I assume it could be semi permanent dye then?

The ends took the color better because they were bleached. Ends are also more porous due to natural weathering and them being much older. Roots might take the color well if they are rather light compared to the midsection.

I think to be really safe you should have a hair stylist take a look at it. They might recommend a more potent dye that will give you a more even result.
My guess is that dyeing it again will fix it as much as possible, but like I said, it is probably safer to have a stylist look at your hair irl.

It was a permanent dye.

The roots took the color better, not really ends. Ends didn't take it that well.

Sounds like you got hot roots. Did you apply the color all over right away instead of applying to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5?

If so going a shade or 2 darker is a good option. This time apply to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5.

If you are still shooting for the same color you may want to try a haircolor remover non-bleaching (follow instructions to a T esp. if you get one that needs a 10v devloper), wait a day, then apply the color you wanted.

Or a quicker way though is more damaging. A gentle bleach all over then apply the color you originally wanted, again: applying to roots first for 10 mins then ends for 5mins because your hair still has similar porosity.

I've done this a million times.

I applied it all over. The roots took the color, the rest not.

Thank you both!

To let everyone know - I managed to fix it, at least a bit.
I dyed it again with the same color, and my hair now picked up the color. It's a bit darker but it looks kinda like low lights, so it's ok.

bunzfan
October 18th, 2013, 10:33 AM
If it's driving you really crazy i understand i had orange ends and red mid lengths you could do what i recently did and use a semi permanent as they wash out over time .

Violet.
October 19th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Thank you!