PDA

View Full Version : White dots?

rose313
October 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Did a forum search and Googled this but I have some questions. I'm somewhat new to this forum. I have heard a lot about white dots in hair and how they are bad. From my research I think that it means hair is damaged and to the point of breaking off? Are the white dots supposed to be on the ends of hair, where you'd look for splits?

When I look at my ends I see no white dots, and no splits, but I wonder if I'm looking in the right place? Are the dots supposed to be right at the very end of the hair or on the side of the strand? What is the hair supposed to look like if it's healthy?

Pretty sure my hair is good but I've always wondered this since I joined.

redtuss
October 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
From my experience all sorts of splits and dots can appear anywhere on the hairstrand, it depends on where the stress/damage has been focused :)

prettyinpink
October 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I think they can be caused from old or dull scissors as well

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM
White dots are a weak spot sort of like a pre split hair. You can cause them by doing s&d or trims with dull scissors. That's why sharp scissors are vital.

Firefox7275
October 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM
White dots are usually somewhere on the length of a hair often a couple of inches from the ends, and they mean the hair is about to break at that point, split ends are at the ends.

NuclearApple
October 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM
white dots in my hair means that where they are a part of hair broke off,i think when you find a white dot on the end of one strand it means breakage,this is what happens to me,at least.

lunalocks
October 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
i find my white dots are within a few inches of the end of the hair. my splits occur usually at the every ends but not always. I have had splits splinter off 4 to 5 inches above the end. Be sure to snip off those dots as well as the splits.

nobeltonya
October 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Generally white dots and other forms of breakage show near the ends because that is the oldest part of the hair. But they can occur anywhere from numerous sources.. mechanical damage.. what I do is take the whole length in my hands and start from say APL length or so (wherever I can pull it around and see) and slowly work my way down looking for any splits or breakage. Usually I find splits on the thinner and light colored hairs (very few).. just snip right above the breakage and only on that one strand. :disco:

rose313
October 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Oh okay! I think I know what they look like now. Thanks!