PDA

View Full Version : Hair thickness question

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 06:56 AM
So, my hair is not long enough to put into ponytail but I've have a question about hair thickness.

My single hair is very thin (almost transparent) and silky BUT I have lots of it. Basically seperating my hair to see just a single hair takes quite long. In my signature picture I have this bun but actually in front I have two sections of hair that I could both braid.

However, I've been hrought to believe my hair is thin. I think it's because my hair is so silky. And I'm from Scandinavia and most Scandinavians think thick hair means coarse. So, I've had people telling me how thin my hair is and how thick my hair is. I'm confused!

I just made an album of my updos (my hair is a bit below chin) And I don't know if it helps but could someone say whether my hair is thin or not.
thank you!

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I don't know if this matters but air drying my hair takes around 2-3 hours.

Vampyria
October 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM
I think it's really hard to tell from the pictures, when your hair is styled like that. It would be easier if your hair was down, and it would still be just speculating. Would it be possible to make two ponytails (one in front and one behind)? Then you could calculate your overall thickness.

2peasinapod
October 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
It's a lot easier to tell when you can put your hair in a ponytail and measure the circumference. It's very possible to have fine individual hairs and thick hair. It's also possible to have course and thin hair. My individual hairs are medium fine and smooth, but I have a lot of them, so my hair is thick.

I used to think thick meant course, too. As your hair grows and you try more styles, it will be easier for you to see how it feels and how thick it is overall.

Anje
October 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM
That's why around here we have a fine-to-coarse range and a thin-to-thick range. Fine-and-thick is a decently common combination, but it tends to confuse people. :flower:

Best way to tell how thick your hair is, is to gather it into a snug ponytail, then measure the circumference of it. It's tough to eyeball unless you're really extreme, unfortunately.

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I added two pictures where my hair is down ( I don't know if they help) I guess I will wait till I can wear ponytail and measure it :)

Vampyria
October 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM
It looks like it could be medium - ii (maybe 3"), but like I said it's just speculating.:)

red-again
October 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I have hair like yours, fine individual strands but sooooo many of them. I have a 4inch pony tail circumference and therefore I have classified my hair as ii/iii but when all my layers grow in ill be a solid iii probably. I reckon you may find the same
Like you hairdressers in the past ( I self trim now) have on first look said I have fine hair ( looks limp when it needs washing which I always made sure it did when having a hair appt!) but then on starting to cut have said how much hair I have! And completely revise the way they cut my hair

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
It looks like it could be medium - ii (maybe 3"), but like I said it's just speculating.:)

I'd say it's medium probably too =)

Siiri
October 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Based on the picture with your hair down, I'd say normal thickness. It doesn't look thin to me. Like everyone has been saying, it's best to determine the thickness from the ponytail when you get there. You have straightish hair which can look thinner/has less volume than wavy hair because there's not as much air between the strands. Some confuse volume with thickness, that may explain the comments you've gotten about your hair looking thin.

Nice hair by the way and I like the updos!

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Based on the picture with your hair down, I'd say normal thickness. It doesn't look thin to me. Like everyone has been saying, it's best to determine the thickness from the ponytail when you get there. You have straightish hair which can look thinner/has less volume than wavy hair because there's not as much air between the strands. Some confuse volume with thickness, that may explain the comments you've gotten about your hair looking thin.

Nice hair by the way and I like the updos!

I'm from Finland too! But I currently live in the UK =)

Siiri
October 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I'm from Finland too! But I currently live in the UK =)

:)

I often get the thick/thin confusion too from people (and blond/brown).

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
:)

I often get the thick/thin confusion too from people (and blond/brown).

Yeah.. this has happened to me a few times:
1. Person: Your hair is thin.
Thd person touches my hair and says:
You've lots of hair!

Then they look confused :D

summergreen
October 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
It is hard to tell from the pics - but I don't think your hair looks thin :) I also like your updos!