PDA

View Full Version : Short Protective Styles

Ashflower89
October 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM
What are some of the first protective styles youre able to do as your hair gets longer? Ive seen plently of cool styles but have no idea which styles require which lengths of hair.

BowTie
October 15th, 2013, 03:58 AM
I'm currently a bit below chin and I'm able to do peacock and french twist and two dutch braids :)

Deloria87
October 15th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Hi bowtie, how do you do the style in your signature? that's pretty :) I'm interested in styles for this length also but was advised until it's shoulder length they're not really necessary.

Tini'sNewHair
October 15th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Im intrested in BSL hairstyles. Following.

BowTie
October 15th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Hi bowtie, how do you do the style in your signature? that's pretty :) I'm interested in styles for this length also but was advised until it's shoulder length they're not really necessary.

I gather my hair into ponytail (my whole hair doesn't fit into the ponytail though) I hold it and start twisting it in the counter-clockwise direction. At first I twist the ponytail once or twice and then kinda put it against my scalp and twist. Then I secure it with bobby pins ( I don't have any other toys yet,going to buy new toys soon :) ) Mine holds very well and I usually only need to around 3 bobby pins on my twist.
Hope this helped - I'm not very good at explaining

renia22
October 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I'm currently a bit below chin and I'm able to do peacock and french twist and two dutch braids :)

I really like your hair in your signature picture too. Do you have thick hair? For some reason when I do my hair like that it doesn't look as good as yours

BowTie
October 15th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I really like your hair in your signature picture too. Do you have thick hair? For some reason when I do my hair like that it doesn't look as good as yours

I wouldn't say I have thick hair. But I have LOTS of it.. I mean my single hair is quite thin. My hair is probably medium.

ravenheather
October 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Peacock twists also work well with a claw or a flexi8. A cinnabun or lazy wrap bun are the first buns I could make

BlazingHeart
October 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Bowtie, thick hair means having a lot of it here, as opposed to thin hair, which would mean not a lot of overall volume. What you're thinking is coarse vs fine - coarse being thick individual hairs, fine being thin individual hairs.

BowTie
October 15th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Bowtie, thick hair means having a lot of it here, as opposed to thin hair, which would mean not a lot of overall volume. What you're thinking is coarse vs fine - coarse being thick individual hairs, fine being thin individual hairs.

Thank you for explaining! I've heard both thick/thin hair comments about my hair. I think it is because my single hair is very fine but I have lots of it :DAnd I'm from Finland where people think thick hair means coarse because most of us have that kind of hair I have.

viking_quest
October 15th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Something that I like to do is either french/french fishtail braid my hair and then take the length and pin it against my head, like this picture http://www.pinterest.com/pin/507429082986318469/

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Something that I like to do is either french/french fishtail braid my hair and then take the length and pin it against my head, like this picture http://www.pinterest.com/pin/507429082986318469/

I'm going to try this when my hair is a bit longer=) it's pretty!

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I did a new updo (my new signature picture) I started with doing a french fishtail braid which I secured with two bobby pins. Then I peacock twisted the rest of my hair and pinned it. I left some hair in my face though.

BrightEyes
October 16th, 2013, 06:46 AM
My hair is right at shoulder length. I love peacock twists and do them all the time. I also wear pony tails (not as fancy but they get the hair out of my face).

Not as protective, but I also like doing half-ups. I either pull the top section back and secure it with a Flexi-8. Or I twist the top section up into a little bun and secure it with a mini fork. I've been able to do half-ups since I was at chin-length. They saved me from heat styling.

ETA: BowTie, your signature pic is so pretty! I need to practice braiding. My fingers just don't know how to move that way right now lol.

BowTie
October 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
My hair is right at shoulder length. I love peacock twists and do them all the time. I also wear pony tails (not as fancy but they get the hair out of my face).

Not as protective, but I also like doing half-ups. I either pull the top section back and secure it with a Flexi-8. Or I twist the top section up into a little bun and secure it with a mini fork. I've been able to do half-ups since I was at chin-length. They saved me from heat styling.

ETA: BowTie, your signature pic is so pretty! I need to practice braiding. My fingers just don't know how to move that way right now lol.

I really like half-ups too =) They are especially pretty with some nice hairtoys! Oh, thank you -it was my first time I did a french fishtail braid =)

BrightEyes
October 16th, 2013, 07:10 AM
I really like half-ups too =) They are especially pretty with some nice hairtoys! Oh, thank you -it was my first time I did a french fishtail braid =)

Well hey, you did a great job!! I really like the look of loose braids, I need to start practicing.

Yes, nice hair toys are lovely ways to pretty up a style:D

magfish
October 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM
My hair's basically at APL but I've got tons of short layers, which makes a lot of updo's tough. I'd love some more protective styles that aren't just french braids (which I SUCK at). Also I'd love to do some more "permanent" updos, like twist outs or corn rows but I think I'd look totally ridiculous. Any advice?