PDA

View Full Version : I suddenly have halo frizz?

sarahthegemini
October 14th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I noticed significant new growth a few weeks ago, but it blended in with my hair. Now all of a sudden, it sticks up halo style. The only product change I've made is using a styling product but this doesn't go anywhere near my scalp so I'm a bit confused. I don't know what to do now, if I use L.I on my scalp, it will make my roots greasy. Any thoughts? It does seem to have literally 'sprung up' out of nowhere. Do I put styling product on the halo area? On the bright side, parts of the new growth is significantly wavy, it's about nose level when pulled straight but is eyebrow length in its wavy state :o Just the other side that sticks up ...

melusine963
October 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Good old British damp winter? My guess would be that the humidity is making the short, new growth stick up on end. It certainly does that to me.

sarahthegemini
October 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Good old British damp winter? My guess would be that the humidity is making the short, new growth stick up on end. It certainly does that to me.

Anyway I can combat it?

vindo
October 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe you had a small shed and are dealing with regrowth? Other than that it could be regrowth due to better care? How much has it changed the past months?

embee
October 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Be grateful. Think how lovely and soft it looks, like a cat's fur. :)

sweetinlace
October 14th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I would try a couple of drops of oil to see if that helps

Andeee
October 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I'm having the exact same problem! If it is just new growth I'm grateful. I was a bit worried it was breakage, though...

lapushka
October 15th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Smooth it down with a drop of oil (spread over your palms) or with a tiny bit of silicone serum. That should help.

What can I say. It happens. :shrug:
I wouldn't necessarily go and change up my whole routine because of it, because 9 out of 10 it has nothing to do with it.

Tota
October 15th, 2013, 04:03 AM
I have this problem every bloody autumn. First the major shed, then new growth, then a halo for the rest of the winter. I never even noticed that when my hair was shorter. I learned this past winter that CO-ing (with a rich moisturizing conditioner) helps to some extent - the new hair looks less frizzy and "clumps" together in cute short curlies :) I can't use oil on my fine hair because it just makes it look dirty and oily.

sarahthegemini
October 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Maybe you had a small shed and are dealing with regrowth? Other than that it could be regrowth due to better care? How much has it changed the past months?

Yeah I know it's regrowth, I'm just wondering why it suddenly frizzed up :(

sarahthegemini
October 15th, 2013, 05:06 AM
I'll try oil, thanks!

Flor
October 15th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Did you leave it toweled for too long or used diffuser upside down? Usually that's when my regrowth makes a prominent appearance all of a sudden ;)

sarahthegemini
October 15th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Did you leave it toweled for too long or used diffuser upside down? Usually that's when my regrowth makes a prominent appearance all of a sudden ;)

I don't diffuse, I don't think I towelled it differently either, it's a mystery!

renia22
October 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I noticed significant new growth a few weeks ago, but it blended in with my hair. Now all of a sudden, it sticks up halo style.

An old friend of mine would refer to those hairs as "who hairs" (like the whos from whoville"). I always thought that was cute :)

A tiny bit of Dr. Bronners hair creme used on dry hair works nicely on those pesky hairs too.

BlazingHeart
October 15th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I like a touch of waxy-type pomade when I've got bad halo and need to be smooth. I just rub my fingertips over the top of the product, rub my fingers together to distribute it, and then lightly smooth over the trouble spots. You don't want the gluey pomades for that - the ones I prefer tend to look a bit like coconut oil, but the texture is soft wax rather than something that melts when touched. I like pomades because they don't dry and they don't have a 'hard' hold, so you don't have to worry about breaking hairs like you might with gels and especially hairspray.

stachelbeere
October 15th, 2013, 05:32 PM
it frizzes up probably because you have wavy hair. I'm a 1b with 'a slight body wave' which means that my hair flicks to one side. check my profile pic. so if i part my hair on the right side, the new growth sticks up, when i part it on the left side, it lays down flat. since you're a 2 I can imagine that it's a little less behaved. i would try flaxseed gel, i heard good things about it and it's not oily :)

vindo
October 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Yeah I know it's regrowth, I'm just wondering why it suddenly frizzed up :(

If you have a lot of it that is quite normal, especially with not so straight hair. Once it gets longer it will blend in with the rest. I have a lot of regrowth layers from hair loss episodes :lol: so I know all about growing it out.
You can tame it with shea butter or hair spray if you wish. Many brands offer more natural hair spray I believe? At least I have seen it before.

sarahthegemini
October 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Majormiles
October 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Ahhh I'm glad it's not just me. And I'm sure it's the british weather! I tame it with coconut oil, when my hair is still wet, smooth a small amount where the halo appears, works for me!

Aeris
October 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I have this problem too, especially when it gets humid (Texas weather is so random). I use aloe vera gel to help it - either straight to my hair when it is still wet after washing, or mixed with a tiny bit of water after my hair has dried. It helps quite a bit.

gnome82
October 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I get this too, it annoys me having the fuzzy halo, I have to oil my hair, I live in the tropics.

bunnylake
October 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
I have this same problem... I believe its new growth but it just doesn't seem to get any longer. I've had halo and canopy frizz for like two years. Even after several henna applications, they won't straighten out and lie flat. Weird!

katelinn
October 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM
I have always had a halo problem, never even thought it could be due to weather..yup, I live in Scotland but I grew up in Norway, similar weather in both countries. I will try coconut oil to tame it, just seems to be the obvious choice for me.