PDA

View Full Version : Are wigs possible with long hair?

RitaCeleste
October 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Okay, my hair is past my waist. Its wavy and appears thicker than it is. I was wondering if it would be possible to put it up and wear a long wig. Long story short, I ordered some stuff off Aliexpress. (makeup and nail stuff). I did a search on YouTube and these women were ordering hair off Aliexpress. I was looking the hair they were selling and they had all this straight hair. I found a beautiful long straight wig. It costs a fortune but looks beautiful, long pin straight hair. My hair is color treated and if I hot iron it, splits come out everywhere. Also, my SO wanted me to cut my hair. I would wear a shorter, stylish wig, but I will not cut my hair anymore. So can wigs be done with massive hair to hide? I feel really silly asking this question or even considering it. I do like my long hair, waves and all. But it seems that I've come to value hair enough that buying it wouldn't seem crazy. Awhile back a guy asked if my hair was mine, I said the length was just not the color. I guess lots of long hair you see isn't "real". Instead of buying a haircut, I could buy a wig and know that it would never need a trim. I could have different colors and styles without messing up my actual hair. Does this sound too crazy?

Anje
October 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM
It can be done, though you'll probably want a wig cap and some practice. If she can manage this, you should be able to pull it off. (http://youtu.be/N2hZ2UJJl-k?t=2m13s)

PastelAngel
October 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
My hair isn't particularly long (an inch or two or three past BSL) but I wear wigs relatively often for fun and fashion (and so I can have fun colors without having to dye my hair) and I can tell you it is indeed possible and pretty easy. I usually braid my hair and wrap it up, but I imagine doing a crown braid would be even easier, put on a wig cap, then I'm good to go. The only real problem I can see someone encountering is caring for the wig, as they, long wigs in particular, get very tangly very easily.

woodswanderer
October 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Do you intend to wear this wig occasionally or as an everyday thing? To me, it sounds unbearable to think of wearing a wig every day over a full head of hair. I would think it would be terribly sweaty in the summer. I imagine it is different for people who are bald or have thinning hair, as they probably don't have enough hair to get overheated from the wig.

0xalis
October 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Of course they're possible! It's a bit more difficult but it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it for daily use though :p

kme81
October 14th, 2013, 04:07 PM
That sounds like a fun idea! I sometimes want a short wig to play around with. :)

Torrin has a video about getting all of her hair up into a wig : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwYgtpdaqw

If you like braids, I think this hairstyle would be excellent under a wig because everything is so evenly distributed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaYLKCP_kRw

kdaniels8811
October 14th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I WAS bald (chemo) and wigs are hot and itchy. I bought a good one to wear while growing out my hair and was still miserable despite the lace cap and all. Just my two cents...

chen bao jun
October 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, you can do it but its not comfortable for long term.
I've worn wigs for fun like at Halloween and with costumes, you braid your hair up tight and put on a wig cap. Actually, I use a satin sleep cap under mine more recently, even hotter but I felt my hair was not being rubbed like with the nylon wig cap.
I definitely wouldn't wear every day or every week or even every month. but for a change it can be fun