PDA

View Full Version : Protective Hair Styling

Deloria87
October 14th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I've been googling protective hair styles but I'm struggling to find any that I would be able to do...a lot of the results come up with afro type hair and the styles suggested wouldn't suit me. Any suggested protective hair styles for fine, straight hair which is around collarbone length? No layers other than my fringe, thanks :)

jacqueline101
October 14th, 2013, 07:04 AM
In my opinion at that length you wouldn't need a protective up do. If you want you can wear a pretty head band or scarf to protect your hair. When your hair is shoulder length long enough to get into purse straps then you can start protective up dos.

Firefox7275
October 14th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Agree I can't see why you'd need protective styles at collarbone length and I think you'd be very limited in options anyway, you might do half ups and use headbands.

Theobroma
October 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I agree with the previous posters -- until your hair is long enough to get in harm's way at all, you don't really need to put it up to protect it!

If you want to put it up, though, you could try a peacock twist (Google it or check YouTube for tutorial vids) and secure with something hair safe, like a seamless claw clip or a Flexi-8.

Naiadryade
October 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Small note here... You've indicated in your profile that your hair is "4b." That means kinky hair, so if you included that type in your search, it's no wonder it turned up afro styles. You should probably check out this hairtyping guide (http://web.archive.org/web/20120527181444/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227) to figure out what your actual type is.

Deloria87
October 15th, 2013, 02:04 AM
I put kinky hair just because when it dries it does have little kinks but I did think I may have mis-typed thank you. I think I'm about a 1 b/c f i looking at that though :)

thanks, if my hair isn't long enough yet then I won't fret :)

YamaMaya
October 15th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Your hair is too short for it now, but when it is long enough, the easiest way to protect your hair is simply a bun, or a braid with a gentle elastic (baby elastics, satin scrunchies, fold over elastics)

sweetinlace
October 15th, 2013, 09:21 AM
There are different types of hair. Basically, you have straight, wavy, curly, and then kinky. Kinky is beyond curly and closer to an afro texture. So if you typed in kinky hair, that's probably why those images came up.

ravenheather
October 16th, 2013, 11:26 AM
At that length I could do a peacock twist, a French twist, a Gibson tuck, a Dutch braid, and a lazywrap bun (see avatar)