PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that co-wash, do you still do DTs?

sarahthegemini
October 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone who co-washes or cwc's still does deep (non protein) treatments? I haven't felt the need too since I stopped shampooing my length. I have done one DT but that was following a protein treatment. I think I'll only ever do a DT after a PT.
What do you all do?

Firefox7275
October 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I do, regular overnight to twenty four hour coconut oil soaks on dry hair. But bear in mind I have colour treated hair so my hair is still somewhat damaged and overly porous, might not be necessary for those with short to mid length virgin hair.

Nope
October 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I do an oil treatment before I wash with actual shampoo occasionally, and after I shampoo I mix a little bit of banana babyfood into some conditioner and leave it in for a bit. It makes my hair look awesome and gets rid of the buildup from CO. C:

CurlMonster
October 13th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm with Firefox. I do a heavy oiling before I wash, but my hair is damaged from dye, bleach, and heat and if it weren't damaged I don't think I would feel the need.

samanthajenalyn
October 13th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I also regularly oil my hair, but mine is also damaged from chemicals and heat. If my hair wasn't damaged, I don't think I would need it.

sarahthegemini
October 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Once I've sorted out my routine a bit, I want to start doing coconut oil soaks overnight before wash days. I want to do so because I'm highly porous and my hair gets saturated very quickly, so I figure that the oil pre-wash will help prevent damage during the wash process. I had totally overlooked those when I started this thread! I suppose what I mean is, I don't feel the need to do deep conditioning/smt's, that sort of thing.

jeanniet
October 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Not really. Every once in a while I do if I think of it, but my hair doesn't really need it and it's too much bother most of the time.

Firefox7275
October 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Once I've sorted out my routine a bit, I want to start doing coconut oil soaks overnight before wash days. I want to do so because I'm highly porous and my hair gets saturated very quickly, so I figure that the oil pre-wash will help prevent damage during the wash process. I had totally overlooked those when I started this thread! I suppose what I mean is, I don't feel the need to do deep conditioning/smt's, that sort of thing.

I don't often use deep conditioners, mostly don't because I consider them little more than cosmetic. If I am doing deep treatments I'd rather focus on something that penetrates like coconut oil or hydrolysed protein. With using leave in conditioners every wash I assume as much of the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants) that can adhere probably has.

sarahthegemini
October 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I don't often use deep conditioners, mostly don't because I consider them little more than cosmetic. If I am doing deep treatments I'd rather focus on something that penetrates like coconut oil or hydrolysed protein. With using leave in conditioners every wash I assume as much of the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants) that can adhere probably has.

You know I've always been a little skeptical as to whether they actually do anything long term, I always suspected that any 'goodness' will be rinsed away at the next wash. But the haircare industry made me believe they were essential! When I first joined here, I was frantically doing DT's every week to try and improve my hair health .... nothing really gave long term efects though. I've only seen a real improvement in my hair since I stopped stripping it daily with shampoo

Firefox7275
October 13th, 2013, 03:13 PM
You know I've always been a little skeptical as to whether they actually do anything long term, I always suspected that any 'goodness' will be rinsed away at the next wash. But the haircare industry made me believe they were essential! When I first joined here, I was frantically doing DT's every week to try and improve my hair health .... nothing really gave long term efects though. I've only seen a real improvement in my hair since I stopped stripping it daily with shampoo

Depends on the ingredients and the state of your hair. So called 'deep' conditioning tends to leave hair wet for an extended period which breaks some of the structural bonds and saturates the surface with the major emollients, this will indeed soften the hair which many associate with hair health. Plenty of 'deep' conditioning products are rich in silicones conferring faux shine which again people link to hair health. The concept of hair needing 'moisturising' (add or increase water) is much overused IMO, most people actually mean they want the cosmetic attributes of well conditioned hair - soft, slippy, shiny etc.

Like yours my hair is porous so it can absorb plenty of water without any help, it actually needs to absorb less when washing and hold onto the right amount when dried. Plenty of conditioning agents are weak humectants - fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants, panthenol, hydrolysed protein - so my hair should be appropriately 'moisturised' by those. After all in the UK we don't often have the sort of climate that really dries out the hair.

First in an excellent series of articles on deep conditioning
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-update-penetration.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/03/moisture-issue-proteins-and-moisture.html

Hairitic
October 13th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I've been CO'ing for 5-6 years and have done maybe 4 DT's in that time. :p I don't usually feel the need to. Right now I do because I have been using Hibiscus Tea rinses every wash for several months and it has dried out my ends a bit. :( I just got Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. :D I am going to use the Shea Purification Masque first then do a Protein Treatment and follow up with the Shea Moisture DT Masque. Then I probably won't do another for close to a year. :D