PDA

View Full Version : Hair color questions

Violet.
October 13th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I have brown hair, it grows brown. In the past, I dyed it. Plus I used lemon and honey on it. So now the bottom part of my hair is golden brown, or like dark golden blonde. The top is brown because it's new grown hair. So now it is just old dyed hair + roots. So that's ok.
But now I'm thinking of making it a lighter shade of brown, but ashy. How would I get it from gold to ashy? Would it be OK to put an ash dye over it? Would that work, or I have to do something else? I was thinking I could just dye it with ashy hair colors over and over until I reach the shade I want.
Please don't suggest toners or violet shampoos. Or a stylist.

Also, I have very light skin but I can't figure out if it's warm or cool. I can't figure out the color of my veins. My skin sometimes looks ghostly, sometimes like porcelain, sometimes warm and sometimes pinkish. My eyes are blue. Not light, it's a strong, very blue shade.
What hair color would suit me better? Golden blonde, ashy blonde, or maybe even something auburn-ish? Maybe strawberry blonde?

cranberrymoonz
October 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
You may not even be warm or cool, you could be a neutral. That means you can get away with warm as well as cool colours. That does not mean there are no colours that look better on you than others, the softness (less contrast in complexion asks for less saturated colours, more contrast looks better in loud colours) and shade (dark, light or in between) play a role too.

Yeah, ash brown dye will make golden hair ash brown;) Not much of a help here.

Firefox7275
October 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM
What colours you suit in clothing is a good indicator of what you will suit in hair: I suit cool colours so blues, most greens, magenta pinks and purples, but I look hell in yellow, orange, sludgy greens and many browns. Despite having green eyes and freckly skin I looked horrible as auburn, suited burgundy red much better and now a cool pink-red.

Isilme
October 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Using a dye will most likely make it brassy again when the colour fades. I would instead suggest you look into amla! Many people use it in henndigo mixes for a more cool brown.

LadyCelestina
October 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Using a dye will most likely make it brassy again when the colour fades.

This.Also this is why I think you'd be better off with a semi permanent dye or a toner - you can repeat it as much as you want,with minimal damage.I am sorry for suggesting something you stated you don't want to hear :/.

Violet.
October 13th, 2013, 11:52 AM
You may not even be warm or cool, you could be a neutral. That means you can get away with warm as well as cool colours. That does not mean there are no colours that look better on you than others, the softness (less contrast in complexion asks for less saturated colours, more contrast looks better in loud colours) and shade (dark, light or in between) play a role too.

Yeah, ash brown dye will make golden hair ash brown;) Not much of a help here.

I'm not sure I understood the complexion, contrast and shade part... I'm sorry. :(

Oh, I know it was a bit obvious, but I figured, maybe there's something special that needs to be done to get rid of the golden tones.

Violet.
October 13th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Yeah, ash brown dye will make golden hair ash brown Not much of a help here.

I'm not sure I understood the complexion, contrast and shade part... I'm sorry.

Oh, I know it was a bit obvious, but I figured, maybe there's something special that needs to be done to get rid of the golden tones.

What colours you suit in clothing is a good indicator of what you will suit in hair: I suit cool colours so blues, most greens, magenta pinks and purples, but I look hell in yellow, orange, sludgy greens and many browns. Despite having green eyes and freckly skin I looked horrible as auburn, suited burgundy red much better and now a cool pink-red.

I look better in cool colors.

Using a dye will most likely make it brassy again when the colour fades. I would instead suggest you look into amla! Many people use it in henndigo mixes for a more cool brown.

Unfortunately, I can't find amla where I live. Not even indigo, just henna and I question its quality.

This.Also this is why I think you'd be better off with a semi permanent dye or a toner - you can repeat it as much as you want,with minimal damage.I am sorry for suggesting something you stated you don't want to hear :/.

It's not that I don't want to hear it just because, but rather because I can't find toners where I live, just dyes and lighteners. As for semi premanents, there are a few types here but they typically rinse out in 2 washes.

Applegirl84
October 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Does the cooling effect of the alma last or does it fade away leaving brassiness from the henna?

Isilme
October 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Does the cooling effect of the alma last or does it fade away leaving brassiness from the henna?
Honestly I don't really know, never used it because I like my henna copper red:) I would think that it would fade with time.

Violet, where do you live? I think hennaforhair and maybe Henna Sooq ships all over the US and Canada. Most products can be found on the internet these days.
The problem with using a dye containing peroxide is that as the dye fades it leaves your hair more or less bleached. And the peroxide in box dyes it not strong enough to bleach it very well so it ends up brassy. If you don't want to use toners and don't have access to amla I really don't know what you can do other than growing it out. Using a strong tea of Rosemary is said to be good for dark hair but I have no idea how it works and how powerful it is.
Here is a link about amla http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/amla/

Hairitic
October 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I do know if you use a box dye of ANY kind that is a lighter color than you already have, you will end up with a warm/brassy color. If you want an Ash tone color without Bleach/Toner, you must stay in the same shade depth or darker. :(