PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement!

rbooh
October 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I've been having a rough couple of weeks. My hair is usually the victim when I feel out of control, but this time I resisted the urge to cut, color, bleach etc.

I've kind of taken a break from LHC, I am one of those people that try EVERYTHING, and as good as some of the stuff is on here, doing every single thing is just too much. So I haven't taken pictures of my hair lately, I hit a stall in December and it just wouldn't grow. I thought I had hit terminal at waist, but its just a combination of breakage and growing out layers ( I finally measured and my longest layer grew 2 inches thank goodness ).

A few days ago I asked my husband to take a photo of my hair, I can't remember why because I was thinking my hair looked ok, but I was horrified at how BAD it looked. So scraggly, thin and lop sided. I was devastated by this picture.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6845&d=1381637867

Its damage from bleaching my hair in January. Twice. Then coloring it myself 6 or 7 times trying to fix it. Finally I bought henna in February just to stop myself from bleaching it ever again. But my hair continued to break, plus I have lots of layers. I just wanted to chop it all off. I was going to go to about chin length because all my hair growth since February (this year) is just henna hair, so about 4 inches from my scalp is undamaged.

One day while I was just mucking about, bummed over my horrible hair, I had a thought. If I had gotten a bad haircut, I would have just tried to do other things to it. I would curl it, wear hats, arrange it differently, wear a scarf and just WAIT until it grew out. Eureka! I have been doing S&D like crazy, I've done protein and moisture treatments, I've been wearing a scarf or a hat and just generally hiding my hair and today...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6846&d=1381637917

...it looks pretty GOOD :) I was so happy I wore it like this to watch a hockey game!

I really did not want to cut my hair. I'm not advising anyone that definitely wants to cut their hair shouldn't. But if you really, really, really don't want to cut, I think you can just give it some time. These pictures are roughly a week apart. I hennaed 3 weeks ago, the top picture should be as red as the 2nd picture but it looks brown :confused:

Back in the 90's I received a book from my health insurance company. It had all kinds of advice about home remedies, like how to fix a blood blister under a finger nail or how to get an embedded fish hook out. I will never forget the words "Tincture of Time". It just meant that time heals all wounds (not really, but it was a more innocent time ). And my insurance company didn't want us to run to the ER for every splinter we got lol

I'm very relieved that I waited and gave myself some time and tried other things before just cutting it ALL off.

~honeyflower~
October 12th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Wow thats very inspiring! I'm glad you feel better about your hair now. It looks very silky!

prettyinpink
October 13th, 2013, 12:21 AM
its beautiful

spirals
October 13th, 2013, 12:31 AM
It's so pretty. And I can relate to a false terminal due to breakage. The more consistent I am in oiling the ends, the less breakage I have. I'm just not consistent. I've been tempted to hack off 4 inches lately. I won't.

BlazingHeart
October 13th, 2013, 03:02 AM
That's great! Sometimes, hair just needs a little more TLC, especially after processing. I'm glad that your hair is making you happier and looking better. Are you going to continue growing, or are you going to maintain and trim out the parts that have had heavy chemical processing, or somewhere in between?

NuclearApple
October 13th, 2013, 03:09 AM
so inspiring!love the color,it's beautiful :o

farmlass
October 13th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Wow, your hair really looks great in the 2nd picture, so glad you waited it out, and obviously made the best use of your time by pampering your hair a bit! Don't lose heart! I'm growing out layers, and have about 4 inches of dip dye, but if I cut it all out I'll be back at waist, and I'm only about 2 inches from classic!! Don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I just keep growing in the meantime :)

Tini'sNewHair
October 13th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Such beautiful hair, love it :)

Rio040113
October 13th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Lovely colour :)

jacqueline101
October 13th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Your hair looks great and your story is inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

AmyBeth
October 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I would be happy to have your hair, even in the first picture, because it was salvageable and now it is beautiful. It just goes to show, that if you want long hair, don't cut it all off!:p

rbooh
October 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug:

OMgosh!!! Thank you all so very much for your sweet words!

I've been struggling for the last week and I was tempted to just hack it off myself, I was too embarrassed before to wear it down lol But yesterday was such a boost!
And then to come back here and receive such kind and encouraging words from y'all makes me feel 100% better. Thank you!

I do plan to keep growing it out. In my 20's I had classic length, and I just want to see how far I can go. I didn't realize how red it is lol its got a bit of a rosy red going on, but I love it.

I'm trying to get it mostly one length but the layers I had at chin length last year are barely at BSL now.

I sure appreciate you wonderful ladies for reading this and the positive comments!

Emichiee
October 13th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Great story and very encouraging! :)