PDA

View Full Version : What would cause breakage?

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I've been helping my friend of mine with her hair issues. I've not been noticing mine until today. I know it's not layers I got rid of mine and my breakage is about apl. It's all the way across it looks I like a layer almost. Is there anything to do for it? Do I have to live with it? Does wearing a peacock twist cause it? I wear that style a lot.

prettyinpink
October 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
i wouldnt think the twist would cause breakage. have you tried switching to silk or fake silk pillow cases? Do you use a wide tooth comb? Wet tight braids? hmm...

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I twist my hair tight and braid tight and when it's wet. I'm still using a cotton pillow case too,

nakima
October 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I wish I could help but I have the same problem, mines been doing it for years even before I started braiding etc what I have noticed tho is that as my hair grows longer the breakage moves down hmmm just not sure.I do try to keep it tucked in a loose braid etc. to protect the ends and a little extra oil from time to time. I hope smeone here has an answer for us...

prettyinpink
October 12th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Since you hair is stretchy when wet, twisting it is bad cause it breaks as it dries. maybe try twisting lose, if that would work

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I hope you find a solution to your issue.

I might have to twist lightly.
Phone was messing up. Sorry for crappy post.

chen bao jun
October 12th, 2013, 05:04 PM
maybe try not twisting when wet?
I have something similar going on, though not bad yet. I have noticed breakage exactly where my crown braid meets the sides of my hair, I have been doing a crown braid when wet too.
I am trying to vary my hair style when wet (I have to have a hairstyle when wet, my hair takes forever to dry.)

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
My phone is messing up its down loading my signature picture on the reply box. I've to style wet my hair is so fine it flies away when dry. Off to fix my phone.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I wish I could help but I have the same problem, mines been doing it for years even before I started braiding etc what I have noticed tho is that as my hair grows longer the breakage moves down hmmm just not sure.I do try to keep it tucked in a loose braid etc. to protect the ends and a little extra oil from time to time. I hope smeone here has an answer for us...

Im sorry my phone was acting up. I had my neighbor look at it. I had too many apps going. Anyways we might try looser styles. I'm going to do that.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Since you hair is stretchy when wet, twisting it is bad cause it breaks as it dries. maybe try twisting lose, if that would work

My phone issues resolved anyways. I might have to try twisting loose or find a happy medium like you said the satin pillow case that might help too.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM
maybe try not twisting when wet?
I have something similar going on, though not bad yet. I have noticed breakage exactly where my crown braid meets the sides of my hair, I have been doing a crown braid when wet too.
I am trying to vary my hair style when wet (I have to have a hairstyle when wet, my hair takes forever to dry.)

I might have to switch up my styles. I haven't braided in awhile I might try a braided style while my hair is dry.
My hair dries at varying speeds. I do have a few breakage hairs at my crown I didn't notice until now.

Audhumla
October 12th, 2013, 06:26 PM
In my experience updos that involve twisting, whether it's tight or only moderate, can cause breakage especially if you do the same updo in the same place repeatedly.
I'm having the same problem from wearing a cinnabun too often.
I think what I'm going to do is start doing braided buns because they don't involve twisting and secure them with spin pins or little claw clips.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 06:46 PM
In my experience updos that involve twisting, whether it's tight or only moderate, can cause breakage especially if you do the same updo in the same place repeatedly.
I'm having the same problem from wearing a cinnabun too often.
I think what I'm going to do is start doing braided buns because they don't involve twisting and secure them with spin pins or little claw clips.
I might be joining you on the braided bun. I never thought that the twist would cause the issue but now that I think about it it seems possible. Twist or repeated style snapping off my hair.

0xalis
October 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I twist my hair tight and braid tight and when it's wet. I'm still using a cotton pillow case too,

That would do it. Yeah you're going to have to be more gentle on your hair and I highly recommend trying out a satin pillowcase because it helps a lot.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
That would do it. Yeah you're going to have to be more gentle on your hair and I highly recommend trying out a satin pillowcase because it helps a lot.

I found my satin pillow case and changed it.

~honeyflower~
October 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I'm thinking outside the box at the moment. Could it be the clip your using, has a rough spot somewhere and is catching hairs? I don't know... Just a thought.

BlazingHeart
October 13th, 2013, 04:32 AM
My thought was that if you're doing the exact same style in the exact same spot all the time, you're putting stress on the exact same hairs over and over. Varying location and style would help with breakage issues if that's the issue. If you're twisting and/or braiding tight combined with doing the same style repeatedly, that would be a bit of a double whammy. You want to twist just tightly enough to secure, anything more is just extra stress on your hair.

jacqueline101
October 13th, 2013, 05:06 AM
I'm thinking outside the box at the moment. Could it be the clip your using, has a rough spot somewhere and is catching hairs? I don't know... Just a thought.

My clip is the scrunchi clip with the rubber grippers I don't know if that would do it.

jacqueline101
October 13th, 2013, 05:08 AM
My thought was that if you're doing the exact same style in the exact same spot all the time, you're putting stress on the exact same hairs over and over. Varying location and style would help with breakage issues if that's the issue. If you're twisting and/or braiding tight combined with doing the same style repeatedly, that would be a bit of a double whammy. You want to twist just tightly enough to secure, anything more is just extra stress on your hair.
That I have done I do the same style over and over. I like a tight hold when I style so I twist or braid tight. It's always been a habit of mine.

Panth
October 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Maybe you could try a tiny bit of aloe vera gel to deal with the fly-aways so you don't have to twist so tightly?

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe you could try a tiny bit of aloe vera gel to deal with the fly-aways so you don't have to twist so tightly?

What type of aloe gel do you use? I know it has to be clear but is there a good brand.

vindo
October 16th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I have done a frizz cut (somewhat like S&D) on a friends breakage layer before and it made it almost invisible.
Maybe you have someone willing to tame the frizz this way? (If that would be an option at all, just my suggestion)

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I have done a frizz cut (somewhat like S&D) on a friends breakage layer before and it made it almost invisible.
Maybe you have someone willing to tame the frizz this way? (If that would be an option at all, just my suggestion)

That's a good idea I might ask someone to help do that this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.