PDA

View Full Version : Hair for ID pictures

Flournoy
October 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM
So I have to get a new drivers license soon and was wondering how others do their hair for pictures like this. I'm a guy and have started getting a lot of second looks when I give people my ID now as my hair is short in the old picture. I pretty much always have my hair tied back in some form but as I was getting the paperwork of the net today I started thinking maybe I should wear it down so its obvious I have long hair or tie my ponytail so it comes over my shoulder or some crap like that? Anyway just curious. I assume other guys have this problem too.

Kaelee
October 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, hair shouldn't matter for an ID picture. After all, you could cut it after the picture is taken, dye it, etc. They may ask you to pull it back so it doesn't hide any of your face though.

I was really, really surprised to learn that in California, hair color is listed on the ID. I have no idea why, since hair color in today's society is generally transient and no basis for identification. I spoke to someone who had actually been questioned on her ID because her hair was dyed, so her hair color didn't match what was on the ID. :doh:

Mainesongbird
October 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I think that you should just wear it however you like it best or however makes you feel good about it. I don't think it matters when others see your id and they dont see your hair or if they do. They see it in the present =) Everyone is allowed to look how they want! =)

Flournoy
October 12th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Its funny to me how hair changes can throw people off so much. Its the same face with a ponytail or buzz cut etc. Guess i'll just go with it tied back, thanks.

WilfredAllen
October 12th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I wear it down because it looks nicer that way, and when it comes to id pictures, I'll take whatever I can get.

SkyChild
April 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I think for ID pics they prefer it doesn't cover your face, so tucked behind ears or in a ponytail might be best.
I had a haircut on holiday in Barcelona and it never occurred to me that they might not recognize me as my passport photo had long hair!
Thankfully, they didn't look twice.

Hair colour on ID is weird - mine is always changing, and a bottle of hairdye is going to be first-stop for someone trying to change their identifiablity (if that's even a word)

Larki
April 17th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I wore my hair how I normally wear it (down) for my ID pic. Figured that it would be the most useful for identification purposes and the least likely to get second looks.

cathair
April 17th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I put mine up for ID and passport photos. Some of them require that no part of your face is covered by hair, so I am cautious with them. I got my passport photos rejected for having the slightest hint of a smile of my face last time. It was a lot of hassle getting it all re-done.

patienceneeded
April 17th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Wear it how you normally wear it. Passport photos have very specific requirements, a drivers license is generally less strict about hair. Just wear your hair in your normal way...that way when you do hand over your ID, it will look more like you.

Zebra Fish
April 18th, 2014, 12:45 AM
A friends of mine had a phase around her 18th birthday, cut her hair short (3-5cm) and changed to literally every colour she could find. On her documents hair hair was "normal" and shoulder lengthen I think. Usually she would just have to wait a minute longer, coz people would look more closely to see if the face is the same, but never had any real problems for that. As a matter of fact, our ID photos are black and white at the moment, almost only face (so if you have more than shoulder length you cant see how long it is) and the most important is that you face is clear of hair (as others already stated). I don't think hair would have much to do on your photo, it is more of a problem if you have glasses and you usually wear lens.

Eichan
April 18th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Oooh, I'd do double french braids for dome awesome curls, put a headband on, and fluff them out all around my head fr some massive hair :D

Anyhow, I think you may want to do your hair how you normally wear it, since that's what you're most likely to be seen in.

Just my two cents :)

schnibbles
April 18th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I just had my pic taken for driver's license renewal in February. I did a bun drop in the DMV because I wanted some fresh body and wave for the picture. (I got a few strange looks but whatever.) I kind of fluffed it and placed it over one shoulder so it wouldn't look like it was just hanging around my face in a creepy manner. Since the pic is pretty much from the collarbone and up, the bottom half of my hair was not shown (obviously) but it turned out ok.
Hair changes day to day, practically. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just do what you usually do.

cole
April 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM
ID pictures help for face-recognition software. So long as your hair isn't over your face too much (I've never had anyone ask me to pin back bangs in the past or anything) down will be fine. It's more about personal preference. All they care is they can find you if you become a criminal! Ha. Currently, I have purple hair in my license. I also own several pairs of glasses (each in a different frame style) so they always stare a little longer when trying to check my ID.