PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is this hair care chart?

Shibe
October 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM
http://timadame.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/the-only-hair-type-chart-that-matters-info.png
I have the first hair type, how often should I do a protein treatment? I bought Coconut oil and have been putting my hair into braids daily, but I'm still finding new split ends even though it seems all I do is s&s :shrug:

breezefaerie
October 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome :)

Honestly, the best thing is to try it and see. There is no "one" formula for any particular hair type. I have fine, thin hair that does not do well with protein so I try to avoid it as much as I can.

What is your regimine now? Do you shampoo and condition? No-poo? Do you use cones on your hair, or do you avoid them?
Do you brush, comb, or neither? How do you care for your hair?

Lots of details will help.

Anje
October 11th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Some of it, like the indications that coarse hair can take more heavy products and more chemical treatments than fine hair can withstand are generally pretty accurate. On the other hand, I think protein is extremely variable from person to person, and whether you want it often has more to do with how your hair has been treated in the past than your fineness. As a finey who doesn't have much for dyes, bleaches, relaxers/perms, or heat styling in her hair history, I personally find that protein turns my hair from silk to velcro.

There's no real reason not to try protein, but be prepared for it to make your hair feel rough, dry, or snappy. If it does this, you definitely need a moisture treatment afterward, and you likely will want to be more sparing with the protein than the person who find that their hair goes mushy, stretchy, and lank without it. It's a very, very individualized thing.

noludoru
October 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Some of it, like the indications that coarse hair can take more heavy products and more chemical treatments than fine hair can withstand are generally pretty accurate.

I don't know - my experience with coarse hair has been that it frizzes disgustingly when subjected to harsh treatment.

Shibe
October 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Welcome :)

Honestly, the best thing is to try it and see. There is no "one" formula for any particular hair type. I have fine, thin hair that does not do well with protein so I try to avoid it as much as I can.

What is your regimine now? Do you shampoo and condition? No-poo? Do you use cones on your hair, or do you avoid them?
Do you brush, comb, or neither? How do you care for your hair?

Lots of details will help.

I use a 2 in one that will be running out soon, so I have a chance to buy something new. It does have cones in it and I tend to finger comb until my hair has dried, then I use a wide comb.

My hair has been pretty much stagnant at about 29 inches so far. I trim off the dead ends and try to be gentle, but months later my hair is a little longer and full of splits again. I've pretty much decided on just throwing it in some braids and not touching it for months.

Vampyria
October 11th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Some things are accurate (like really gentle care for fine hair, although you have to be gentle with all hair types), other things probably vary a lot depending on a individual's hair, no matter the hair texture.
Mine is combination and loves coconut oil, olive is too heavy. "Light protein and moisturizing conditioners" is accurate for me, but no protein is better. My hair hates heavy protein treatments though (starts breaking), so I guess they are never necessary. Chemical hair dye does nothing good for my hair. Air drying would be better than heat styling too in all of the cases.
If you have some old heat or dye damage etc., split ends will continue to appear until the damaged hair is cut off.

Mya
October 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I think that any advice based on only one feature is very flawed.

Strand thickness/curl pattern/climate/(you name it) all are more or less important factors, but if you take one alone it isn't all that matters.

If it was that easy, beauty industries would have solved any hair problem long before teh internetz.

Katrine
October 11th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I thought that was interesting. My hair is fine and am finding many things mentioned useful. But, as already mentioned, everyone's hair is different and there are many variables. It has some good basics, though.

BlazingHeart
October 11th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'm on the coarser end of things, and my hair does NOT like heavy moisture treatments. Or protein treatments. It really just wants 'normal' conditioners and to be left alone. I have easy care hair, I guess. Adding moisture treatments tends to make my hair clump and stick to itself unflatteringly, not to mention feel kind of sticky and gross. Protein treatments make my hair stiff. But I can buy almost any conditioner that is for 'normal' hair off the shelf and be fine.

littlemonster
October 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Fine hair here, some very very fine. The odd medium, because you know, variation, but such a tiny few you couldn't really call it combination. I can't cope with just finger detangling, but that's a personal issue.

My hair coped with dyes and bleaching very very well, as naturally it seems to have a very low porosity, even now it only profiles as medium, or medium-high at the ends (a LOT of bleaching and dying). I had to bleach forever to get a pale (not white/platinum) blonde with 40% vol, it's also a pain to get to take colour. Although once it's in and sealed, it's staying in, as I found out to my annoyance... but I'd have no problem with just a single dying of my hair and upkeep, it was only going darker, bleaching x several that started to take its toll.
As for styles. Fine hair does break easily, but it also moves easily around things, I think all hairstyles depend on knowing your own hair. My natural hair I'd do any style on, my damaged I'm very gentle with. But I'd still do the coarse hair hairstyles, I'd just be gentle. Because I'm not used to handling it, I find doing my friend's coarse, harder to break hair difficult as it's... kind of... stiff? Not like damaged, just... it won't go where I want. So knowing your hair and it's limits is what matters to me.

From my reading porosity and the thing that's about stretchiness (brain fog) are as, or more important than simple type :) My hair may simply be awkward though, like the rest of me :D

breezer
October 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I use a 2 in one that will be running out soon, so I have a chance to buy something new. It does have cones in it and I tend to finger comb until my hair has dried, then I use a wide comb.

My hair has been pretty much stagnant at about 29 inches so far. I trim off the dead ends and try to be gentle, but months later my hair is a little longer and full of splits again. I've pretty much decided on just throwing it in some braids and not touching it for months.

Shibe, I think I'm at the same stage, it grew at a fair pace to its current length around 29" but hasn't been getting much longer though I'm less bothered about that as am fairly ok with this length. I've never tried protein or olive oil, coconut oil seems to work ok (and the products that include it). Always avoided any chemicals - my ethos is to err on the natural side for everything in life. I quite like Aussie brand shampoo.

I would agree somewhat with the chart but also with other comments that it can still vary a fair bit person to person.

Btw, as I'm writing - Vampyria - love the redhead avatar, my hair used to be properly ginger when I was a kid and still has a touch of red (all natural).

Shibe
October 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Shibe, I think I'm at the same stage, it grew at a fair pace to its current length around 29" but hasn't been getting much longer though I'm less bothered about that as am fairly ok with this length. I've never tried protein or olive oil, coconut oil seems to work ok (and the products that include it). Always avoided any chemicals - my ethos is to err on the natural side for everything in life. I quite like Aussie brand shampoo.

I would agree somewhat with the chart but also with other comments that it can still vary a fair bit person to person.

Btw, as I'm writing - Vampyria - love the redhead avatar, my hair used to be properly ginger when I was a kid and still has a touch of red (all natural).

I'm gonna try some coconut oil tonight and ask hubs to get my bbb out of the car, hopefully everything looks good tomorrow!

hanne jensen
October 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I have fine hair and my hair hates anything that even sounds like protein. I guess I get enough in my diet...

YamaMaya
October 12th, 2013, 05:46 AM
There's some decent advice, but I wouldn't recommend "sew ins", whatever those are, sounds quite damaging. Also, how is coconut oil a "light" oil? :confused:

Firefox7275
October 12th, 2013, 06:01 AM
There's some decent advice, but I wouldn't recommend "sew ins", whatever those are, sounds quite damaging. Also, how is coconut oil a "light" oil? :confused:

I think of coconut as being light, it is a 'thin' consistency when melted and the fatty acids it is rich in (lauric acid) are very small molecules which is why it has the ability to penetrate (although porosity plays a role here). It doesn't feel as greasy on the hands as some 'thicker' oils, perhaps because it's easier to spread any residue.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2013, 06:34 AM
I think it's fairly accurate. I'm the first hair type and I pretty much follow it except I don't oil, finger comb, use dyes or use heat. I've thought about finger combing. I use hard protein and deep conditioner monthly I think that's sparingly. I do wear braids and twist those are the styles the chart recommends. Over all it's fairly accurate.

Vampyria
October 12th, 2013, 07:09 AM

Thank you!:) I really miss that colour and I love red hair (natural is especially gorgeous), but this required pre-lightening, so I'm going to keep missing it.;)

goldenlady
October 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I don't like how it treats fine hair like it's weak. My hair is super-fine but is also really resilient. I think there is no specific do's and don'ts with hair.. It's just getting to know what works for your hair.

sarahthegemini
October 12th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Well I know there is no one-size-fits-all but that chart seems pretty accurate for my hair. My hair loves protein: protein in my RO, LI, heavy treatments, my hair does well with sealing (although I don't consider coconut to be a light oil), I am now just trying to finger comb (or not comb at all) as my fine waves get pulled out otherwise, and I avoid heat like the plague.

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am in the first category and it's pretty accurate for me as well. I don't use heat at all anymore, but I'd agree to the heat thing as well. Instead of straight coconut oil, I use Monoi Oil, but it's basically the same thing.

Shibe
October 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to give a heads up here.

I used Eboline Coconut oil on my braids and went to bed last night. I woke up with a rash that covered half of my face, and went down my neck. It has parafin and a few other things in it, so if you have sensitive skin like mine..might be a bad idea to use it.

Benadryl cream has helped, but it's still here.

Here's what it looks like:
http://diongama.net/prodimages/large/eboline-coconut-oil.gif

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM

I used Eboline Coconut oil on my braids and went to bed last night. I woke up with a rash that covered half of my face, and went down my neck. It has parafin and a few other things in it, so if you have sensitive skin like mine..might be a bad idea to use it.

So sorry to hear. I have skin allergies myself so I totally sympathize...feel better!

sofo
October 13th, 2013, 12:51 AM

Parafin is much less likely to give allergic problems compared to the coconut oil itself. Allergy against coconut is not that uncommon and can be severe if you eat the coconut. So its something to be aware of. Never heard about allergy agains paraffin, its usually a very pure chemical. And natural oils are sad to say much more allergenic, although logic says that natural ingredients should be better, that is almost never the case with allergic reactions.

sofo
October 13th, 2013, 12:52 AM

Parafin is much less likely to give allergic problems compared to the coconut oil itself. Allergy against coconut is not that uncommon and can be severe if you eat the coconut. So its something to be aware of. Never heard about allergy agains paraffin, its usually a very pure chemical. And natural oils are sad to say much more allergenic, although logic says that natural ingredients should be better, that is almost never the case with allergic reactions.

Shibe
October 13th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Hmm..I've used coconut oil before, so I don't think that could be it.

It does contain Lanolin, is it possible to have an allergy to that?

sofo
October 13th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Hmm..I've used coconut oil before, so I don't think that could be it.

It does contain Lanolin, is it possible to have an allergy to that?

Lanolin is very much allergenic, and also limonen which is a common ingredient.

tigereye
October 13th, 2013, 02:41 AM
My hair is a combination of fine with coarse. My hair will not stand olive oil, or similar "coating" oils. I use coconut oil. My hair also rarely needs protein (partly because I have never dyed nor chemically damaged my hair) once or twice a year during summer to my ends after a few months of sun exposure is about as much as I need. Detangling with my fingers will not work and just causes damage.
I do what updos I like, and my hair cannot stand heat.
So I'm my case, not very accurate at all.