PDA

View Full Version : What is this white gunk in my scalp?

BowTie
October 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
This might sound disgusting but my scalp is worrying so much. I wash my scalp as good as I can 2-3 times a week and like an hour after washing I get this white gunk on my scalp if I itch it. It usually feels dry.My hair doesn't look oily though. i'm pretty worried..

Kaelee
October 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Sounds like you have weird useless sebum like I do. If it's what I'm thinking, it's pretty harmless. My body seems to think that sebum is supposed to be comprised of a hard waxy substance that sort of resembles sand. :laugh:

WilfredAllen
shampoo that didn't rinse out all the way? that's been a problem for me a couple times

Rio040113
Could be worth seeing a dermatologist... Does your scalp itch/feel sore or smell funny? I used to get something similar and started adding a few drops of tea tree oil to my diluted shampoo (Johnsons baby), cleared it right up along with the itchies! So that might be worth a try but I'd get it checked out first, just to be safe :)

Bun15
October 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Have the exact same problem you do. Exactly. And it's no new, I've had this for since I was little. I don't know what causes it because I've tried nearly everything (co wash, no poo, sulfate/cone free etc), plus I have really long nails so believe me when I say that I do try and scrub my scalp as best as I can.
If you're willing to spend money on clarifying shampoo, get it. If you don't/can't, try the baking soda/vinegar rinse (Use baking soda w/ water as your shampoo and water with vinegar as your conditioner. Apply some leave in or sweet smelling conditioner so your hair won't smell bad).
I tried this on Monday, and I haven't washed my hair since then because my hair has been so clean. Mind you, this didn't eliminate all the gunk, after all your hair produces it naturally, but it was enough that every time I scratched my head there would be little to no gunk.
I have really thick and really wavy hair, so I honestly wouldn't know the result in your hair. Depending on your hair type, you'll probably need to use less/more basking sodas/vinegar. My hair is really thick and can take a lot, (I used nearly a whole water bottle for each), try not to use so much basking soda because it does dry out hair, same with vinegar. Good luck!!

BowTie
October 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I sometimes rinse my hair for 5 minutes so I'd think I get everything out.

Yes, it is itchy but doesn't smell.

Anje
October 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Sounds like plain old sebum to me. Perfectly normal, optimal, and healthy, especially if you notice that you have more the longer you go without a wash. If your scalp is bothering you, it might be worth having a medical professional take a look. But a little gunk comes standard with having hair.

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I sometimes rinse my hair for 5 minutes so I'd think I get everything out.

Yes, it is itchy but doesn't smell.

I'd definitely give Tea Tree Oil a thought, it's only a few pounds (or dollars?) for a bottle and a few drops diluted is all you need :) I use 3 - 5 drops in roughly a pint of water now I'm itch free but I did use a few more before when my scalp was unhappy :)

Kayleigh
October 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Based on your description my bet would be sebum too. The consistency of your sebum is actually defined by a number of things, most important role is played by hormones. When I went off of my birth control pill for a while it became all oily and was quite easy to spread, unfortunately my acne came back with a bang too. :P When I'm on the pill it's more waxy and sandy like you mentioned. It's quite normal. If it doesn't cause a crazy itch, redness, a burning sensation or/and a lot of flakes I wouldn't be too worried. :)