PDA

View Full Version : which mason pearson brush?

gonzobird
October 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm doing it. I don't care. I'm going for it. :)

I'm wondering which I should get..... not size but all boar bristles vs a mix.

My hair is fine, slightly just barely wavey, but there's a good amount if it. 3.5" ish ponytail.

I'd like a good head massage with the mix of the nylon, but on their really fancy site it says fine hair should get just the boar bristles no nylon. That's fine.... I'll do that.... I'm just wondering why not the mixed one? Too harsh to fine hair? Might damage my hair? Or is there another reason?

Thanks!

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I'm not going to be very helpful as I don't get on with BBB's and got rid of mine (plus I had a Denman not a Mason Pearson) but I do have a MP comb (Rake comb - C7) and it'd take a lot to pry it from my little hands, I love it a silly amount, so if you're ever looking for a comb... :P haha, hopefully some BBB using people will come along soon for you :)

jacqueline101
October 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM
A lady posted a thread on hers about a week ago. She loved her bbb a lot. I don't know about the mp brush but in general the ladies and gents here get all bbb not the mixed ones.

verylittlecarro
October 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I just bought a new one a few weeks ago, the full boar bristle, as after much deliberation I decided if I wanted nylon I would use my denman for that, and keep the bbb pure. I use both brushes for different reasons and they compkiment each other well. I don't use my wooden comb as much as I thought I might. The other two brushes do a great job together.

gonzobird
October 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
That's funny you say that, Rio! I've never ever been a brusher.... always finger comb first, then use my mp detangler comb. I have the big one, a small comb and the one with the handle. I love all three tons. my hair is finally now in a state of super awesome healthiness that I think I can brush it. But honestly I've never really brushed my hair. This is going to be an expensive experiement. I'm buying it from amazon though so I can return it if I don't like it.

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
That's funny you say that, Rio! I've never ever been a brusher.... always finger comb first, then use my mp detangler comb. I have the big one, a small comb and the one with the handle. I love all three tons. my hair is finally now in a state of super awesome healthiness that I think I can brush it. But honestly I've never really brushed my hair. This is going to be an expensive experiement. I'm buying it from amazon though so I can return it if I don't like it.

I used to be the worst kind of brusher, raked it through root to tip, powered through tangles (aka ripped through) and used horrible seamed brushes. Eek. I finger comb first as well after my shower now then run through lightly with my rake comb, I can literally let the weight of the comb move it through my hair. :heartbeat I'm so in love I'm looking at picking up the MP rat tail comb (C3) and the styling comb (C4) as well (I think that's what it's called). Are either of those ones you have, gonzo? Good idea on getting them from amazon too, their customer service is awesome, had to sort a problem with them recently and it was handled very nicely :)

gonzobird
October 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I have.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MPAU5I

http://m.nordstrom.com/s/3277902

&

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N444G8

And an old school seamless Kiehl's made in France cool hand comb that I love. I use all if them all the time.
I buy everything off if Amazon. Love amazon.
:)
I think the combo might be too much. Think I'll go all boar bristle.

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MPAU5I
http://m.nordstrom.com/s/3277902
&
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N444G8

And an old school seamless Kiehl's made in France cool hand comb that I love. I use all if them all the time.
I buy everything off if Amazon. Love amazon. :)
I think the combo might be too much. Think I'll go all boar bristle.

Aha! We're comb twinsies :P The first one you linked is the rake comb that I have (yay) and the third link is one of the two that I'm buying soon :) I eyed up the detangling comb you linked second (with the handle, the nordstrom link) but I decided to go with the rat tail instead to help style my new fringe/parting :D And I found them on amazon :P Brilliant!

gonzobird
October 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I just bought the all boar bristle handy. 128.00 and I'm a prime member so free two day shipping. I'm stoked. I'll let everyone know how great or terrible it is!;)

Applegirl84
October 11th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I also have the handy sized pure boar bristle and love it. My hair is also fine with a slight wave. My ponytail is only 2.5 in though. I find the pure boar more than sufficient for my hair. I'm glad I didn't get the mixed.

gonzobird
October 11th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Cool! Thanks apple girl! I think I made the right choice then. :( thanks!

lilahtov
October 18th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I have the handy with ALL boar bristles, and my hair is very similar to how you've described yours. Fine, barely wavy...the only difference is my ponytail is a bit smaller, about 3''. I HIGHLY recommend the handy bbb from MP. My hair loves it and it's worth every penny if you take care of it :)

jeanniet
October 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I have both the mixed and BBB. The mixed is meant for thick hair, but I think you'd have to have VERY thick hair for the BBB to not work. I have a 5" pony, and the BBB works perfectly, although I don't brush often (curly). However, the mixed is less expensive, so if you want a good brush on a budget, I'd go for that. I don't see any difference in results using either brush.

gonzobird
October 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I got the handy sensitive BBB and its dandy. Loooove it. All those wirey coarse crazies all just put their hands up and were like" we give up! We'll give into your demands and lay straight like we don't exist!"

Yup. True story. Love it. Gonna get a pocket guy for my bag for sure. My hair is like Barbie hair!

Applegirl84
October 18th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Yup. True story. Love it. Gonna get a pocket guy for my bag for sure. My hair is like Barbie hair!
Isn't that funny! I thought the same thing about wanting a pocket brush just days after getting my handy size. You'd think after spending $130 on a brush I'd be good for a while

GrowingGlory
October 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I was going to suggest the SB3 (sensitive) for fine/thinning hair, but since you have already ordered, I hope that you are very happy with it!

gonzobird
October 18th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Applegirl, They're only $78.00 on Amazon..... pppshhhht. Thats nothing. Hahaaahha. I need to find a little case for it then. Maybe a big sunglasses case? Dont want that sucker getting messed up.