PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk for protein or moisture? Both? Results?

longhairdesired
October 10th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I know there are old threads about this, so sorry to post another. The thing is, some say it's for moisture and some say it's for protein. My hair didn't like coconut oil (gave it breakage) so would this be any different? What are your experiences with coconut milk?

Kwantslonghair
October 11th, 2013, 04:44 AM
I would like to know too. I can't use coconut oil either. Makes my hair crispy

Firefox7275
October 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I know there are old threads about this, so sorry to post another. The thing is, some say it's for moisture and some say it's for protein. My hair didn't like coconut oil (gave it breakage) so would this be any different? What are your experiences with coconut milk?

The protein is not hydrolysed so cannot penetrate and probably won't adhere either either.

longhairdesired
October 11th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I would like to know too. I can't use coconut oil either. Makes my hair crispy

I've heard of people getting such great results. I'm really curious.

hanne jensen
October 12th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I'm keeping an eye on this thread...

bunzfan
October 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I've heard its a moisture treatment.

mscm
October 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I wonder about this too! But it hasbeen a tradition in many cultures, and my guess is that it isboth proteins and moisture. But again, everybodys hair is different. Will also keep an eye on this thread :)

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I mix my henna with coconut milk and it thoroughly moisturizes my fine hair. My hair generally loves protein so I am assuming it is both as well. It leaves my hair silky, smooth, but not weighed down, which to me, is the most important thing.

lilliemer
October 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM
My hair doesn't react well to coconut oil (I get the same 'crispy' effect others have mentioned) but I use the 'light' coconut milk from time to time as a light moisturizing treatment. I dilute it about half and half with cool water and dip my ends then pour the whole thing over my head and let it sit for a while, then rinse out. Full fat coconut milk has a lot of coconut oil in it and tends to cause greasiness for me, but others have reported no problems with it.

YamaMaya
October 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Coconut milk turned my hair to velcro, it did not like it, and it stayed that way for days. I think my hair has quite low porosity and doesn't need the extra protien.

longhairdesired
October 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Coconut milk turned my hair to velcro, it did not like it, and it stayed that way for days. I think my hair has quite low porosity and doesn't need the extra protien.

Oh man. Maybe I won't try it out then. My hair didn't react well to coconut oil either, very crispy.

Shibe
October 12th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I used coconut oil over night, and my hair loved it. Unfortunately, it was coconut mixed with parafin and it turns out I'm allergic to it. Nasty facial rash greeted me this morning :(

Might switch to coconut milk myself.

raej
October 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I absolutely love coconut milk! I purchase the organic kind sold in a can. I put it in the fridge to harden it slightly, or if I have time, I reduce it in a pan for a few minutes (constantly stirring), until it is thick enough to apply. Once it has cooled, I will apply it to my roots with a cotton face pad (those things that you can use to apply face toner). I start at my part and keep moving the part over to apply all over the scalp. Then I grab more of the milk and apply to the rest of my hair. It's put up into a shower cap and hot towel for about 3-5 hours. I shampoo it out and my hair dries amazingly shiny. It works for me, but we all know not everything works for everyone here :o

I think it's mostly a moisturizing treatment!

Here's a great youtube video about it! Although she makes the coconut milk herself (which she shows in an earlier video)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk

Naiadryade
October 14th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I use coconut milk in my mouth. It's a wonderful source of protein and saturated fats. Plus it's delicious like ice cream. And it's expensive... I can't imagine putting it on my hair. I think I would cry mourning the loss to my taste buds. Anyway, the nutrition will end up helping the newly growing hair anyway. The proteins may be to big to penetrate the hair shaft, but I'm pretty sure my body can figure out how to use them to make new hair!