View Full Version : Baking Soda and Vinegar Rinse. Now what?

Bun15
October 10th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Tried it. Loved it. It's been nearly a week since then.
Now what? Do I continue washing it like this?
The only reason I did it was because I had a lot of gross buildup that no matter how many times I washed it just wouldn't go away. I tried this and it kept my hair 98 percent build up free.
Although I favor the idea of using baking soda and vinegar as maybe a once a month type thing, I am a little worried that the buildup will return and I am not fond of putting vinegar in my hair all the time. I already tried the no poo method/co-wash only method and they didn't work too well.
I'll need to wash it either tomorrow or after, and my mom just bought this awesome smelling cheap shampoo that I'm itching to try.
Advice please?

biogirl87
October 11th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Bun15, I wouldn't continue washing with baking soda and apple cider vinegar if I were you. People generally use it for clarifying (like you did), and over time baking soda and apple cider vinegar washing method will dry your hair and your scalp out. Since co-washing did not work for you, you could either try normal shampoo and condition with sulfate-free shampoo, or if you cannot find sulfate-free shampoo, you can try doing condition-wash-condition method (putting conditioner on your lengths first, then shampooing your scalp, then rinsing this off and then doing a final conditioning of the length of your hair). Some people's scalps just like and need to be shampooed every so often, no matter what their hair type is (my hair is fairly wavy and could probably become curly with enough moisture, but co-washing just did not work for me).

Firefox7275
October 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Alkaline baking soda is far harsher on skin and hair (both acidic) than dilute vinegar. Maybe work out what in your routine is causing the build up and eliminate that?