PDA

View Full Version : Struggling not to give up

Fluffy01
October 10th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I feel like I've come so far but still far away. I'm about half way to midback but when I bring my hair in front it isnt even chest length. Plus i have curly hair with a few layers left. The curls aren't even pulling out yet, which ive been waiting for. Plus after a massive pregnancy shed i have tons of new growth at my hairline that is super curly and looks ridiculous. I keep saying things will be different once it is all one length and I can braid it but really? It will take the new growth ages to catch up and I will have those pieces sticking out of my braid.

0xalis
October 10th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Don't give up! I'm rooting for you :D

October 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM
It really depends on what you want. Do you feel compelled want to cut it or grow it? What would be easier for you to style? Which would make you feel the best?

If you put your mind to it, you can do it! Experiment with different ways of styling. It sounds like our hair types are drastically different (mine is stick straight), but I have numerous experience with growing out my hair (and know the frustration all too well). For me the key is to experiment with different styles on the days when I feel like I want to cut it the most. Search this forum, Google images, watch Youtube videos, etc and find new ideas and be inspired to keep growing. I am rooting for you :cheer:

hippie girl
October 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Don't give up, Fluffy01!

Put it up and forget about it untill you need to wash. Then detangle gently, wash and put it up again. Repeat.

I promise that before you know it, it will grow past markers you didn't even know it was passing.

You can do it! I'm rooting for you, too. :)

seeker
October 10th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I can relate - my hair is much shorter than yours. About to get past chin length and Im already frustrated. We can do it though! I have faith!

Rio040113
October 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Just think to yourself every morning as you get up and put your hair up or wash it or whatever, 'today my hair is a little bit longer than it was yesterday'. Even if that's not 100% accurate (I'm no expert, I don't know if hair literally grows 24/7 during the growth period of its cycle, if it does I imagine it would take some serious science-y stuff to measure the amount it grew in a day lol) however I'm sure you know what I'm getting at? I hope so anyway :lol: My point is, if you say that to yourself every morning and keep your hair up, eventually you'll be washing it or combing it to put it into an updo one day and you'll go 'huh, it's not a little bit longer, it's quite a bit longer!' :)

Bagginslover
October 11th, 2013, 06:07 AM
You will always have new growth, everyone does, you will never have every hai ron your head the same length, if you did, it waould ALL fall out at the same time too, and you'd be bald for a time. If those are your expectations, I'm afraid, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, you will be dissapointed.

Curls pull out at different lengths for different people, if your hair is very fine (I can't tell because you don't have your classifiers showing), it will take more length to get the required weight to pull down your curls. The bottom of your hair won't straighten out though, as the further down your length you get, the less weight there is on it.

Why can't you braid it at mid back? that should be plenty long enough for a braid, oil it first to help keep in your layers ;)

I really hope you can come to accept your hair the way it is :)

Fluffy01
October 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions.

I probably should've mentioned I've had an itchy scalp forever recently, and I've tried everything to help it. I'm thinking that the length is making it hard to get in there to wash and for some reason it's trapping irritants? Also, my scalp has been hurting from pulling my hair back so much...I have a 1 year old that likes to play with it, so wearing it down isn't an option at this length.

My hair is fine....and lots of it except for the crazy amount of shedding I seem to be getting lately as well. I feel like pregnancy really messed up my hair and the hormones afterwards if that makes sense. It just has a funky texture now and sheds so much that I'm constantly cleaning up after it. I was thinking about starting fresh. Has anyone ever done that? And maybe grow it back out after I'm through having kids lol.

Bagginslover
October 11th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Ahh, Pregnancy!! That can, and does do all kinds of undesireable things to hair! Its not at all unusual to have a BIG shed after giving birth, lots of women also experience crazy fast growth rates during pregnancy too. Your shedding issues are almost certainly down to this, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to keep growing in the mean time ;) What does it hurt :)

spidermom
October 11th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I did short hair with children. Both of them liked to lock their sticky little fingers into my hair as soon as I picked them up. A pixie style was so much easier. I didn't acquire the patience to grow out my hair until my early to mid 40s.

Bagginslover is absolutely right. Because of the shed and regrow cycle, you will always have shorter bits sticking out of your braids and fluffing up on the surface of your hair. So don't let the layers sticking out stop you from braiding. Applying a bit of gel before you braid and running a bit of gel between wet palms and sliding down the surface of each braid will help them stay a bit neater.

velorutionista
October 11th, 2013, 08:39 AM
oh that sounds so frustrating! can you weave in the shorter hairs in things like twists or french braids just to get them out of your face till they get longer? I mean, obviously do whatever makes you happy with the length, but don't just chop it off if you really want it long--I think you'd have shorter pieces anyway from new growth and normal shedding.

jacqueline101
October 11th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Don't give up on your dream of long hair we are pulling for you. If its layers that are bugging you just put a bit of gel on your braids or you could try braiding to the end of your layer then pony tail it off. I did that to my bottom layer I only had one layer thank god.