PDA

View Full Version : An odd way to curl my hair - does anyone else do this?

gus
October 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM
For as long as I've had "long hair" (about two years now), I've had this habit when it's down of spinning the whole hunk of hair around my finger, until it's one loose spiral. At first I just did it sort of absently, but I soon noticed that after a little while the curl seemed to hold through the rest of the day - even when I tossed the hair back over my shoulder and shook it out, I got cute little princess curls at the ends.

So now oftentimes after a shower when my hair is air-drying, I'll spin it around my finger over one shoulder and then the other (away from the face when it's on my right side, toward my face if it's on my left), and every single time I do this my hair ends up sleek and smooth, but with a nice curl at the ends.

Does anyone else do this? I have a few other long-haired friends and when we've talked about curling our hair, I've mentioned this "technique" and received only blank stares in return. Tell me I'm not alone here!

PixxieStix
October 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've seen this posted on Pinterest, but never actually met someone who did it. Glad to hear it actually works though!

Nadine <3
October 10th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I do that sometimes to! I disnt know others did it, I just do it when I'm bored or nervous lol

ExpectoPatronum
October 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I twist my hair when it dries...It helps to even out my waves so to speak. Naturally, the front of my hair gets really wavy whereas the back of my hair is almost pin straight. When I twist them, everything has a more equal amount of curl. It also keeps the top of my hair from frizzing out.

Kitten1030
October 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I twist too, I do either 2 or 4 twists.

Magalo
October 10th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Oh, I should try this. Maybe my pin straight hair could get some movement. :p

sourgrl
October 10th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm a twister! I find it helps encourage my wave pattern. I only do this on days when I wash in the morning. When I wash in the evenings I'll bun or braid it.

Firefox7275
October 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM
For as long as I've had "long hair" (about two years now), I've had this habit when it's down of spinning the whole hunk of hair around my finger, until it's one loose spiral. At first I just did it sort of absently, but I soon noticed that after a little while the curl seemed to hold through the rest of the day - even when I tossed the hair back over my shoulder and shook it out, I got cute little princess curls at the ends.

So now oftentimes after a shower when my hair is air-drying, I'll spin it around my finger over one shoulder and then the other (away from the face when it's on my right side, toward my face if it's on my left), and every single time I do this my hair ends up sleek and smooth, but with a nice curl at the ends.

Does anyone else do this? I have a few other long-haired friends and when we've talked about curling our hair, I've mentioned this "technique" and received only blank stares in return. Tell me I'm not alone here!

I used to do this to my ponytail to make it stay in one clump rather than poofing out, turns out all I was doing was utilising a wave pattern I didn't know I had - maybe you are wavier than you think.

Tattersail
October 11th, 2013, 08:28 AM
i've put my hair in a high ponytail before and done that quite tightly over and over again, about every 10 minutes while it dries. i like the way it leaves a 'wound up' ponytail :) looks very 'done' but so easy to do. might try the loose way to control my messy waves

velorutionista
October 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I do this too! I get a good amount of wave from it on the bottom half of my length, which separates out to individual curls by the ends. And I find it cuts down on frizz dramatically (maybe all the petting as it gets smoothed down and twisted). If I want really wavy hair, I'll clip all the ends together behind my back and let it dry completely like that (time permitting), too.

teela1978
October 11th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I tend to do this to ponytails out of habit. I don't often bother when it's down.

gus
October 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Awesome responses - and whew! I'm not alone!

LAG93
October 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I do it too! I always have out of boredom or nervousness. But I love the little waves it gives!

MidnightSunlite
October 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hey! lol I used to do that when I was high school but I only did when I was bored and was in a hair touching phase

stachelbeere
October 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I have a friend with beautiful iii hair who does that :)

BlazingHeart
October 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM
My hair is very...determined to have no more texture than it wants to have. I can straighten my hair pretty easily by brushing it before it's fully dry, but nothing has ever kept curls in my hair for more than a couple hours unless they were hairsprayed into solid crunchiness. Even then, they slowly sag out, no matter my hair length. I can't make it wavier, either. As a kid, we'd put little braids in our hair after washing to make it wavy, and everyone ELSE would have a head full of wavy hair, and mine would just fall right out.

Naiadryade
October 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I have a friend with gorgeous loose curls that I am constantly admiring because they always seems so perfect--and she says this is all she does to make it that way. Maybe I should give this a go the next time my hair is drying, instead of periodically scrunching! Certainly worth a try!

Seeshami
October 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mess laughs manically in the face of all curling methods and refuses to be curled.

The Naughty Mess says, "I am glorious as I am."

Stop making me feel stupid for calling you glorious in that picture.

The Naughty Mess says, "Never. :twisted:"

SereneCurls
October 22nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
You guys are definitely on to something. I've done this for years, it works much better for me than the standard scrunching to encourage curls advice.
http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/#doodles

Enrapture
October 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
You're not alone. I used to do this all the time ;) But I stopped because i got layers and they don't stay in the twist.

catamonica
October 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
After I wash my hair when it's slightly damp, I hold the ends for a half minute, & the ends curl. And I have straight hair. Then I braid it.

wildkratt
October 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I usually do the twisty things when my hair's in a ponytail, making it look more pretty and polished. I get a similar effect for loose hair if it was in a cinnabun earlier.

merrow
October 25th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I've seen quite a few girls do this before, actually. It was pretty neat - their curls stayed in all day. I have not tried it before, though... My hair is already curly as it is!:D

joflakes
October 25th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I do this with my wet hair if I have time!