PDA

View Full Version : Did I just screw up? *product related*

ProverbsGirl
October 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM
So..I was in a discount grocery store with my children today.
stocking up on stuff we were out of.
I happen to see a section of the nicer (name brand) shampoo's and conditioners..marked down. It is a dented box kid of store. So the products are usually in perfect shape. Any Who..I spot some name brand shampoo and it say silicone free..I snatched it up up...because in my haste (I had three children with me after all) I was mentally thinking sulfate free. Well it is not sulfate free.
I have fine thin straight hair. Someone on here recommended silicone free shampoos but another recommended sulfate free ones.
Did I screw up? Is silicone free a good thing? Or should I just chalk it up to a mistake and move on?

XcaliburGirl
October 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
It's hard to say without trying it. Sulfates and silicones have different purposes. Do you have a particular reason for avoiding sulfates? I have used shampoo with sulfates and without with varying amounts of success. Currently I'm using a shampoo sodium laureth sulfate. Some people find them too harsh, though.

Personally, I like silicones in my conditioner but not in my shampoo. This is mainly because silicones make my scalp flaky but I like how they leave the length of my hair. Some people find that silicone leaves their hair dry or that they are too heavy. Others, like me, appreciate the slip they give and need hair to be weighed down a bit. It also can depend on the type of silicone and if it's water-soluble or not. So it totally depends.

lapushka
October 10th, 2013, 10:28 AM
With sulfates, without silicones? That is going to be a nice clarifying shampoo!

leslissocool
October 10th, 2013, 11:12 AM
With sulfates, without silicones? That is going to be a nice clarifying shampoo!

Yes, it's a clarifying shampoo. I would keep it and use it ONLY when I have build up or before a henna.

I do good with silicones, and wash my scalp with sulfates, but the length CO wash only (with cones). My hair needs a lot of slip, so I use both cones and oils.

Kaelee
October 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Definitely keep it, a good clarifying shampoo is a must and it doesn't have to be expensive (V05 kiwi is my favorite!)

Silicones aren't evil, either. I use them an my hair is better for it! :)

ProverbsGirl
October 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
OK. Thanks for the tips. I will keep it around. This shampoo,sulfate/silicone stuff makes my head spin,
Looks like I need to do some more research. :)