PDA

View Full Version : BBB made my hair look horrible!

BowTie
October 10th, 2013, 04:30 AM
So, I bought my first BBB. I tried it a bit last night and it was okay. However, this morning I made a mistake and brushed with it for 2 minutes.. my hair turned into something horrible.My hair has never looked greasier! It also doesn't shine but looks like dirtier than ever in my life! It doesn't look good up or down. I don't have to time shower anymore and I should go out today..

BowTie
October 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM
In the end I just gave in and washed it under sink... :(

sarahthegemini
October 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I never had any luck with using a BBB either. It didn't make my hair greasy but it did make it really flat and stuck to my head :(

PrairieRose
October 10th, 2013, 05:26 AM
A tiny bit of brushing with a BBB is good for my hair. But too much and I have the same results as you. I usually try to hold off on heavier brushing until I am going to wash.

goldenlady
October 10th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Did you brush from underneath? I adore my BBB (It's the only brush I use) and haven't experienced it ever making my hair horrible - perhaps my hair type just loves it.

Wildcat Diva
October 10th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Yes, it spreads the sebum down really well, doesn't it? This will be helpful another time maybe, but not right before you need to go out. Nighttime may be a good time for a BBBing. Usually I find that the sebum does soak in after a while and is less noticeable. This is great for your ends, though. Just not for the light of day, maybe.

breezefaerie
October 10th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I can't use a BBB either. On my fine, thin hair it makes it look totally flat, greasy, and completely glued to my head.

lapushka
October 10th, 2013, 07:09 AM
No matter how much you brush with a BBB, if your hair isn't coated in sebum already, it's not going to travel down your hair shaft. I think these kinds of brushes are only good right before a wash, not for day to day use.

Applegirl84
October 10th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I only use mine before bed (the oiliness is absorbed by morning) before washing and before putting it in an updo. I think it is meant to be a healthy grooming tool more than a styling tool. The biggest benefit I've noticed is how nice my hair is when I wake up in the morning after brushing it the night before.

Try it before bed (brush really well until you look like a greaseball) and see what it looks like in the morning!

Btw I have fine straightish hair that gets greasy looking fast.

spidermom
October 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I only use my BBB before I wash my hair. I have to remember to wash the brush, too.

faellen
October 10th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I don't even use my BBB to spread sebum, instead I use heidi's method to "polish" with it using coconut oil. It doesn't even touch my hair above my ears.

slynr
October 10th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I don't even use my BBB to spread sebum, instead I use heidi's method to "polish" with it using coconut oil. It doesn't even touch my hair above my ears.

Will you explain this technique a little further. Are you saying just do coconut oil on length and brush ears down after detangling? Maybe that is my problem with BBB and I could use it like that?

BowTie
October 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Before I did this I read this article saying how you should brush twice a day with BBB. Shouldn't have read that article. My hair got so flat and greasy... well I tried my new organic shampoo and conditioner and put coconut oil in the ends after washing. Both were good=)
However, I kinda regret buying that brush...

MadameV
October 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I always do wooden comb, BBB, and then a little with the wooden comb again. What tends to plaster my hair to my head isn't so much the sebum as the static, and the comb breaks it up again nicely. That said, I still don't use it if I'm going to have my hair down again that day.

Peggy E.
October 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Actually, the sebum the BBB brush distributes (it's not oil, it's a wax-like substance) is great for your hair. It protects your hair, strengthens it, and will actually be soft, fluffy and beautiful once it's fully distributed down your hair shaft to the ends. The brush is actually doing exactly what it's meant to do!

It's unfortunate we've come to look upon this natural hair-care substance as something that's nasty and we need to rid our hair of as soon as possible.

The power of the shampoo/conditioner industry....

BowTie
October 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Actually, the sebum the BBB brush distributes (it's not oil, it's a wax-like substance) is great for your hair. It protects your hair, strengthens it, and will actually be soft, fluffy and beautiful once it's fully distributed down your hair shaft to the ends. The brush is actually doing exactly what it's meant to do!

It's unfortunate we've come to look upon this natural hair-care substance as something that's nasty and we need to rid our hair of as soon as possible.

My hair honestly didn't look good. I sometimes don't wash my hair for 4-5 days and I don't mind having a bit oily hair. However, that brush made my hair look like somebody melted butter in it. And because I'm dark blonde it made my hair look even worse. So, yeah I go out without washing my hair and don't wash my hair all the time. I'm sorry if I didn't like the brush. Everyone's hair is different.

Ravenwind
October 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
2 minutes sounds like an awfully long time to be brushing your hair D: the BBB also distributes all the oil from your scalp to your ends. I personally don't like using a BBB unless I want a sleek updo. Otherwise it makes my hair look flat on my scalp and poofy everywhere else. Not attractive.

Marbid
October 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I over brush with my BBB. I brush my hair way to much with it. I like how it plasters my hair and makes it into one. But then again I have fluffy and very dry hair (because I brush my curls out and blow dry my hair with cold air, so it flufs and dries). And I don't have an over production of sebum because I do WO on my scalp and CO on my length. So this brush is heaven sent for me. Plus my hair is usually soaking in coconut oil or olive oil anyway. :)

Every ones hair is different. I just so happen to love my BBB

BowTie
October 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I over brush with my BBB. I brush my hair way to much with it. I like how it plasters my hair and makes it into one. But then again I have fluffy and very dry hair (because I brush my curls out and blow dry my hair with cold air, so it flufs and dries). And I don't have an over production of sebum because I do WO on my scalp and CO on my length. So this brush is heaven sent for me. Plus my hair is usually soaking in coconut oil or olive oil anyway. :)

Every ones hair is different. I just so happen to love my BBB

I must say that I love how it feels on my scalp and hair. So that is a good thing=) Definitely going to try it again... not in the mornings though lol

lapushka
October 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Well, TBH, sebum isn't exactly nice and it for sure does not smell nice!

Yedda
October 10th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I'm glad I read this thread. I had the same experience and haven't been using my BBB much. But now I will try it before bed!

Anje
October 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Add me to the contingent that isn't exactly fond of the effects of a BBB in my hair. Some love it because it can smooth the hair down, but it seems to almost weave my hair into a solid layer when I use one repeatedly, as well as make the hair greasy down to about my ears. Not my preferred look. :P

What it IS good for is when my hair gets full of lint or cat hair and keeps tangling like crazy due to the lint. Nothing, not even washing, de-lints hair like a BBB.

Squiggy
October 10th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I stopped using mine for this very reason. Just a slicked down, greasy look that didn't work for me! Oh sure, my hair felt super soft and was actually very shiny, but it was limp and had as much volume as it does when soaking wet! I could use it with updos to get them really smooth, but not much else.

Reading all these comments, though, I may try to find my BBB and brush with it before bed/before wash. I'm sure it's stuffed in a box somewhere and been hauled around for the last 5 or 6 moves...

stinkyfeet
October 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I successfully use my BBB at night too. The sebum usually reaches down most of my hair, but I still use HennaSooq's Cocoveda Oil on the very ends and use the BBB to distrubute (I have naturally dry hair).

In the morning, sometimes my scalp area is still a bit mucky. Dry Shampoo usually solves this problem--I dip a big Sephora bronzer brush into the powder, tap off the excess, and dab it in areas of my scalp. I massage it in, and brush it smooth. I have been using arrowroot powder successfully. I find that it works better for me than cornstarch.

I am still planning on making Nanny Pauline's Dry Shampoo Recipe--I just have to wait for these rose petals to dry! :blossom: I think that I will substitute the arrowroot powder for the cornstarch in the recipe because I have been having so much success with it.

Good luck!

Kat
October 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, I found the same. The top would look flat and greasy-- probably because the brush smoothed it down to my head-- and the ends would get static-y. Distribute the oil?? Ha! Perhaps in my wildest dreams.

Rio040113
October 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I had a Denman BBB and can't say as I got on with it, it didn't seem to distribute the sebum very far at all (finger combing/massaging my scalp/preening all did the same or better) and I could never put my finger on it exactly but it seemed to somehow make my ends unhappy? Hmm, maybe my hair is just odd and doesn't know what's good for it ;D

Flor
October 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Same here. Sleeked greasy top and puffy dry ends - that's what my hair looks like when I use BBB. I read this thread last night and decided to try the "before bed only" method, hoping I'd wake up with good hair next day. Nope, still the same.

It does work well to remove dust and lint though, I'll give it that.

Misao
October 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
See that BBB didn't worked on 1type hair?:(
I got two BBB a few months ago but I gave up using them too, it made my hair look more oily, flat and dirty, I tried brushing 2times a day, in so many directions, but the result was the same.
I prefer finguer combing.

BlazingHeart
October 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM
It's been a long time since I used a BBB, but what I remember is that it made my hair POOF. I have enough body wave that I don't need any more volume, thankyouverymuch. I can brush my hair with a pin brush and have a nice effect even though I'm a wavy, but a BBB makes me look like I brushed out curls - hair everywhere, and frizzy!

littlemonster
October 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
My BBB makes my wavy hair go poofy at first, but if I keep gently brushing it does eventually distribute and make the ends have sebum/oil/whatever. Which is good, as they're damaged. But also makes the waves look defined. I also leave it unwashed to run the oils just through the ends if they're dry. I know that's odd, but.. oh well. Mostly through braid tails.

And it does slick the top awesomely for a sleek updo :)

Amygirl8
October 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I personally love mine, but my hair gets dry pretty easily so I find my BBB to be a great help, especially on days where I had just washed my hair.
When my hair dries it is not pretty looking, but with the BBB and some oil I can get it presentable looking. It always looks nice the second and third days because it's not dry and poofy lol.

I've never brushed it for more than a couple strokes unless I'm working to get my hair straight, so that may be why. Idk. I personally like it, and I love the feel of it on my scalp.

coolhair
October 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM
pardon me asking but i am a newbie. whats BBB?

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 06:59 PM
pardon me asking but i am a newbie. whats BBB?

Boar bristle brush :)

Temme
October 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Boar bristle brushes make my length greasy. I don't use mine because that's pretty much the ONLY thing that can make my length greasy, besides a heavy oiling of course. But then again, I always let my scalp get really greasy, so I think if my scalp was cleaner it wouldn't make my length as greasy.

Kat
October 11th, 2013, 09:08 PM
It's been a long time since I used a BBB, but what I remember is that it made my hair POOF. I have enough body wave that I don't need any more volume, thankyouverymuch. I can brush my hair with a pin brush and have a nice effect even though I'm a wavy, but a BBB makes me look like I brushed out curls - hair everywhere, and frizzy!

I'll have to remember this. My hair is straight, but I wear it in a braid or two most of the time, so I end up with braid waves. Combing doesn't entirely straighten/smooth out my hair (to get rid of the clumpy look from the braids) but brushing turns it into frizz and makes every split and damaged part stand out so my hair is twice as voluminous at the bottom and looks really ratty. I'll have to try a pin brush and see if that helps! I never thought to blame it on the BBB. As it is, if I want to wear my hair down or in a ponytail I have to make sure not to braid it after washing for as long as I want to do that, which is annoying.

~honeyflower~
October 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
No matter how much you brush with a BBB, if your hair isn't coated in sebum already, it's not going to travel down your hair shaft. I think these kinds of brushes are only good right before a wash, not for day to day use.

You and Spidermom have just changed my perspective about BBB's

DweamGoiL
October 12th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I bought an MP about 10 years ago. I used to use it religiously then; that and my wooden comb. It did great things to my hair, but I wouldn't use it every single night, but instead, right after I washed, and then in between, I would mostly comb until I got close to washing day again. I would also use it for styling as well. Now, I embrace my waves more so I bypass the right after a wash brushing. As long as it stays wavy minus the frizz, I simply fingercomb to detangle and use a comb as needed to style it. If it starts to get dry, I will then use my BBB at night, but I only brush about 15 strokes or so on each side....waaay less than before :)

MidnightSunlite
October 12th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Does BBB stand for bristle boar brush?

YamaMaya
October 12th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I think I know what your problem is, you brushed it for 2 minutes probably scalp to ends after it was fully detangled correct? Well stimulating the scalp like that will cause the sebaceous glands to go into overdrive and produce more sebum, which your brush will dutifully spread down the shaft. I'd say take the advice of everyone else in this thread and only use it before bed, or a wash to loosen up the dirt.

BlazingHeart
October 12th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I'll have to remember this. My hair is straight, but I wear it in a braid or two most of the time, so I end up with braid waves. Combing doesn't entirely straighten/smooth out my hair (to get rid of the clumpy look from the braids) but brushing turns it into frizz and makes every split and damaged part stand out so my hair is twice as voluminous at the bottom and looks really ratty. I'll have to try a pin brush and see if that helps! I never thought to blame it on the BBB. As it is, if I want to wear my hair down or in a ponytail I have to make sure not to braid it after washing for as long as I want to do that, which is annoying.

Kat, I use this brush - http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeutics-Natural-Massage-Brush/dp/B000KM3NDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381618588&sr=8-2&keywords=wood+brush and LOVE it. I've had mine for 2 years, and it still looks almost new. At least when I bought mine, they were advertising the pins as being hardwood. The pins are very well polished and slick, so they slide through your hair really smoothly. For me, at least, the pin-set (that is, how close they are together) is perfect, but that's a very individual thing.

biogirl87
October 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM
You and Spidermom have just changed my perspective about BBB'shoneyflower, keep in mind that both spidermom and lapushka have type 2 (wavy) hair, so a BBB wouldn't necessarily work as well for them as it could for you if you are a 1a. I have read about how people with straight hair tend to do well with boar bristle brushes.

Kat
October 13th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Kat, I use this brush - http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeutics-Natural-Massage-Brush/dp/B000KM3NDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381618588&sr=8-2&keywords=wood+brush and LOVE it. I've had mine for 2 years, and it still looks almost new. At least when I bought mine, they were advertising the pins as being hardwood. The pins are very well polished and slick, so they slide through your hair really smoothly. For me, at least, the pin-set (that is, how close they are together) is perfect, but that's a very individual thing.

Thanks! It looks nice. I love that it's so wide.

gonzobird
October 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Just got my all boar bristle mason Pearson and omg. I'm in shock so many of you dont like it! I used it like an hour ago and my hair is like silk. I know everyone is different... but wow. I love it. I have fine hair but a lot of*it... and wash my hair every 4 or 5 days or so. On day three and whoa. I'm just wondering why I waited 8 years to buy one.