PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Cap?

kysgrl
October 10th, 2013, 01:08 AM
They are supposed to help with breakage while sleeping right? Could I get some recommendations on what to look for in a sleep cap and possibly some suggestions on where I could get a good and inexpensive one? (on a budget) Thanks!

Ashflower89
October 10th, 2013, 01:42 AM
I found a pretty cheap satin sleep cap in the ethic hair care section at walmart. Its snug enough not to come off, but nice and soft

MeowScat
October 10th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I got mine from eBay, I think it was only a few bucks? They are supposed to help with breakage and tangles. Some people love them, some don't. Walmart.com and Sally.com should have them.

Definitely try one in satin. The elastic can sometimes be too tight and leave an indentation on your forehead / hair. I just fold a piece of paper towel and put it under the elastic. It eventually loosened after a few times in the laundry.

A satin pillowcase is awesome to have, also. I can't get over how much my hair slips around and doesn't rub on it like it did with my cotton pillowcases.

jacqueline101
October 10th, 2013, 03:11 AM
I bought my sleep cap from the Harriet Carter catalogue I got two a silk pale blue and pink I love mine. I also bought a silk pillow case. I got the pillow case from Family Dollar.

sarahthegemini
October 10th, 2013, 05:19 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005KTYP9S/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I have :)

Panth
October 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Definitely get one made from satin (or at least lined in satin). It's pretty pointless if it's not satin as it won't be slippery enough.

If you can afford it, try to find silk satin (silk is the substance it's made from, satin is the pattern of the weaving). It's a bit better for the hair, but also it is much less hot and sweaty to wear, particularly in the summer or if it's humid.

Kaelee
October 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I have a cheapie from Sally's...i can't really recommend that one as the lace was really itchy and I had to spend 15 minutes trimming that off for it to be comfortable. Other than that, I love it, but I can't wait for the upgrade I'm getting (Christmas present. :D My mom and I don't bother trying to surprise each other anymore. We just ask what the other one wants. :lol:)

Anje
October 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I found a pretty cheap satin sleep cap in the ethic hair care section at walmart. Its snug enough not to come off, but nice and soft
This is what I've got too. It's got a wide stretchy band rather than a little piece of elastic, which seems to help it stay on better. Good stuff. If my hair's combed out when I go to bed, I don't really even have to comb my hair in the morning when I wear a sleep cap. It might not be attractive on me when I'm sleeping, but the reduction in looking like I just crawled out of bed is pretty remarkable.

AmyBeth
October 10th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I had tried the cheaper satin caps from WalMart but I began worrying about the elastic possibly breaking the hairs along the hairline. So I spent a bit more on a Silky Cocoon from Etsy because it has a satin edge around the ahirline and ties in back of the head, which is good because I can adjust it to fit my head and also the elastic will eventually break down on the cheaper ones and you have to buy a new one anyway. I think I spent $21 on it? But I use it every night, and that's 365 nights a year's worth of tangling and breakage I am preventing.

Rio040113
October 10th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Depending on your budget etsy is always a good place to check out, as AmyBeth said, Silky Cocoon are worth a look :) I'm intending on buying this lovely - http://prettyanntoinets.com/item_112/Long-Silk-Sleep-Cap.htm - if you check out their 'Bonnets' section though, they have some silk ones for $23 I do believe :D

AmyBeth
October 10th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I can't buy silk, because I'm vegan, but I always turn my cap inside out, so that the really silky side is in, towards my hair. That is quite a sleep cap, Rio. It would take the rest of my life to grow hair long enough to fill that up!

Rio040113
October 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I can't buy silk, because I'm vegan, but I always turn my cap inside out, so that the really silky side is in, towards my hair. That is quite a sleep cap, Rio. It would take the rest of my life to grow hair long enough to fill that up!

Haha isn't it? xD It's around 36 inches I think, so it's not insanely long when you look around here ;) My hair is currently 32/33 inches or so (same as yours isn't it?), I really should measure again, it's been so long since I did... but my hope is that if I choose to straighten my hair (with heat or without) it will mean my hair has enough space to lay flat inside and get a second or even third day out of my style :) Plus I usually sleep in a braid and I find the smaller 'shower cap' style sleep caps mean my braid ends up in a lump under my head and they don't allow any room for flexi rod curlers :(

DweamGoiL
October 10th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I have a few from my local beauty supply. They are under $5. I had a really quality satin one hand made from some vendor online years ago, but it made my head so hot. I hated that so now I use it to store my wooden combs. The ones I use now are half satin at the bottom and half mesh at the top. They close with velcro, which I wear at the top of my head so it won't catch the hair at the nape. Generally they tend to run big so I sow about an inch around the circumference of the base of the cap so it fits snugly when I velcro it. I also have tried satin and silk pillow cases and would end up sleeping in really weird positions because my head would slip off the pillow. So for me, the satin / mesh caps are great year round.

Marbid
October 10th, 2013, 10:13 PM
I have the cheap walmart one. I like it. I turn it inside out so the softest part is to my head too. My husband hates it. Its tiger patterned. A bit tacky. I don't particularly like the pattern. Might get me a pink one. I like pink. But it serves it's purpose. And does not slip off all night. So I guess its all good. Still. I wan't a pink one. Would match my pjs.

MidnightSunlite
October 11th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Oh wow! I need that long bonnet cap, didn't know they made them that long... in the mean time I need find the small one I already bought a long time ago. D: It's lost int he abyss that is my room or bathroom... or other room... lol

Aingeal
October 11th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I have the cheap walmart one. I like it. I turn it inside out so the softest part is to my head too. My husband hates it. Its tiger patterned. A bit tacky. I don't particularly like the pattern. Might get me a pink one. I like pink. But it serves it's purpose. And does not slip off all night. So I guess its all good. Still. I wan't a pink one. Would match my pjs.

I have the cheap Walmart one as well and really like it. It's comfortable. That being said, mine is an ugly brown color. I also wanted pink! Dh hates it though and asks me to wear my hair down to bed once a week. He says he like feeling it on his face. Lol I may get a satin pillow case.

Rio040113
October 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Oh wow! I need that long bonnet cap, didn't know they made them that long... in the mean time I need find the small one I already bought a long time ago. D: It's lost int he abyss that is my room or bathroom... or other room... lol

It's the longest I've ever found, pretty sure it's 35/36 inches of hair friendly awesomeness :) If you want something longer then a lot of places will do customs if you ask them (costs a little extra of course) and there's always etsy!

caren
October 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Maverickwear makes super nice ones. I bought two of them (the Lucy ones, they are long and have plenty of room to grow into)--I got the "seconds," made of unpopular prints (one is kind of a yellow white, the other has purple circles all over it). They are made well, but only $6 each so she can unload them. I think, with shipping, I paid $15 for two of them. If you aren't picky about the color or print, they are a great deal.

hanne jensen
February 12th, 2016, 09:41 AM
The only thing that will stay on my head all night is an old snood I crocheted in the net pattern. Although it's an open pattern it still protects my hair from tangling and matting as I toss and turn. I have my hair loose in the snood as my hair breaks out of a night braid. I've only been using this for 2 weeks and can already see a huge difference in my hair. Even though my ends are folded in the snood they are very easy to detangle in the morning. In will sew myself a cap in sild in a month or so.

Gaalsong
February 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Okay, it wasn't cheap, but I got the Sharmooz "Not your mother's satin bonnet". And oohhh man, it's so soft and silky and delicious to wear. Sometimes I wear it around the house just because it feels so nice, even though I know it looks silly. I figure if I wear it every night, it ends up being really cheap in the long run. It's reversible so both sides can be used (like if I've washed my hair but I haven't had time to wash the cap). It's very sturdy. All my hair fits in no problem, with space for a lot more. Don't think I'll need to buy a new one for years. So for me it was worth it.