PDA

View Full Version : Do women's hair get thinner as they age as well?

Venefica
October 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have seen a thread on this forum where there are several ladies of 50 plus who talk about their hair, great I love long hair on women over 40 I think long hair suits everyone. One thing I noticed though is that several posts speak of hair thinning after 50? Is this true even in women? I thought it was just men who got thinner hair as they grow older, I mean my mother is 62 and she have just as thick hair as she have always had, it is going steel gray but it is just as thick. I guess I am just panicking a bit here, sure I am only in my early 30's but my hair is the one exceptional thing about my appearance so I do not relish the idea that it might get thinner as I grow older, I like to keep it thick as it is, or thicker.

Saldana
October 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
My understanding is that often the hair shaft itself decreases in diameter as women age. There may be as many hairs, but the overall volume of hair is less. If you have the same genetics as your mother, your hair may stay thick as you age.

woodswanderer
October 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Hrmmmm...maybe there is something to diameter of the hair shaft thinning. My hair looks the same loose, but I swear it looks thinner braided than it did when I was a teen.

spidermom
October 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM
So far, going from crazy-thick to normal-thick hair hasn't affected me as much as other indignities of aging.

Silverbrumby
October 9th, 2013, 05:33 PM
p.s. I had fine hair but a lot of it when I was younger to fine hair and less of it now. Down to 2.5 inch ponytail and shorter terminal. Aging definitely effected my hair. I had less hair to start with really and I think for super thick haired girls this isn't too much of a problem.

Hope this helps:

* Genetics are important. If your mum is thick and you are thick as well it's unlikely to be an issue for you.

* Some hair follicles can become dormant in some women. The effects of DHT due to aging and the reduction of estrogen in the body cause this type of hair loss in some women.

* Hair growth can slow down for some women as they age. Just like finger nails no longer growing like weeds as we age the hair can be effected. For some this might mean it's harder to reach those long lengths that were easier in their youth. They can still get there.

* If you are concerned about this issue you can see your doctor or dermatologist about it and have the usual battery of tests for Iron, Vit D, estrogen, TSH (thyroid), go over the drugs you are on and their potential side effects (hair loss), look at your relatives.

* Looking after your hair and taking care of yourself and dealing with stress will always help you grow better hair at any age. But if you have a genetic disposition to thinning hair as you age those things can only go so far.

Venefica
October 9th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I know I probably are deficient of vitamin D since I very rarely go out in sunlight, I do not like the feel of it on my skin. Thank you all for your replies.

Henna Fan
October 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Hi Venefica, feeling slightly responsible for the 50 plus thread, I think I should put your mind at rest! I'm sure there are many far more medically qualified than me here, but here's my take on it. Firstly, genetics can be a huge influence on your own ageing hair. If mum has a fabulous head full in her 60s, the odds are you will too. Secondly, there are so many various factors that affect hair thinning and hair loss that it's almost impossible to say yay or nay if it will impact any one of us. Health issues and medication can be a factor that affects our hair as we age, as can high testosterone levels in post menopause. But there's various things we can do to tackle each of these areas IF or when it happens. I truly wouldn't worry about it in advance, do bear in mind that hair loss to the point of balding, is fairly rare in women, (aside from serious medical conditions that can impact anyone) and that whilst thinning and a finer texture is common as we age, it's highly likely that whilst you may notice some thinning and a change in texture, no one else would. xxx

BlazingHeart
October 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
In most people, when the follicle stops or reduces producing melatonin, the diameter of the individual hairs decrease. Some women also experience thinning in terms of number of hairs - my father's mother's hair has noticeably gotten thinner over the last two decades. She's in her mid-80s now, and you can easily see her scalp. When I was a child, her hair was the same ice white color, but there was quite a bit more of it.

Silverbrumby
October 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Hi Venefica, feeling slightly responsible for the 50 plus thread, I think I should put your mind at rest! I'm sure there are many far more medically qualified than me here, but here's my take on it. Firstly, genetics can be a huge influence on your own ageing hair. If mum has a fabulous head full in her 60s, the odds are you will too. Secondly, there are so many various factors that affect hair thinning and hair loss that it's almost impossible to say yay or nay if it will impact any one of us. Health issues and medication can be a factor that affects our hair as we age, as can high testosterone levels in post menopause. But there's various things we can do to tackle each of these areas IF or when it happens. I truly wouldn't worry about it in advance, do bear in mind that hair loss to the point of balding, is fairly rare in women, (aside from serious medical conditions that can impact anyone) and that whilst thinning and a finer texture is common as we age, it's highly likely that whilst you may notice some thinning and a change in texture, no one else would. xxx

Well said!

AmyBeth
October 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I am past 50 and with the knowledge of true hair care that I've learned over the last 2 years, my hair is thicker, shinier and healthier than it has ever been. And my terminal length was always TB, but I know I'll be able to get past that now.

Naiadryade
October 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Hmmm. Related question...

I have my dad's hair. Color, texture, thickness (at least, the color and thickness he used to have)... my brother and I both take after our dad in that respect. My mom's hair is a bit coarser, somewhat wavier, and a good deal thicker.

My parents are both now in their mid-late 50's. My dad's now salt-and-pepper hair has been steadily thinning for at least a decade, and it's almost what you might call wispy now, down from what probably would have made a 4" ponytail like mine when he was younger. My mom's hair, though it started turning white in her 30's (she dyes it), is just as thick as ever.

Because I have my dad's hair, am I definitely doomed to his thinning pattern as well? Or could I possibly take after my mom in that ONE hair respect? Do any older folks with a similar genetic situation have any hopeful stories to tell me? :pray:

Silverbrumby
October 10th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hmmm. Related question...

I have my dad's hair. Color, texture, thickness (at least, the color and thickness he used to have)... my brother and I both take after our dad in that respect. My mom's hair is a bit coarser, somewhat wavier, and a good deal thicker.

My parents are both now in their mid-late 50's. My dad's now salt-and-pepper hair has been steadily thinning for at least a decade, and it's almost what you might call wispy now, down from what probably would have made a 4" ponytail like mine when he was younger. My mom's hair, though it started turning white in her 30's (she dyes it), is just as thick as ever.

Because I have my dad's hair, am I definitely doomed to his thinning pattern as well? Or could I possibly take after my mom in that ONE hair respect? Do any older folks with a similar genetic situation have any hopeful stories to tell me? :pray:

Sorry, I take after my dad. I'm trying Rogaine to see if it will counteract the male pattern thinning and shorter terminal.

You might take after your mum. You'll know around mid 40's

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I think one can have the colour and texture of their Dad's hair and also inherit the thickness of their Mom's hair. Time will tell.

I feel like a broken record as I've mentioned my anemia on so many threads here--haha!--but when my hair was thinning a friend of min in her early 60s said, 'Oh that happens when you get older, welcome to the club', but I *knew* something else was going on. Now that my anemia is under control my hair is just about as thick as it was. My mom's in her 70s and her hair is still thick. Maybe it's receded a bit at the temples, but I have a small forehead anyway, so that won't bother me too much if it happens!

BlazingHeart
October 10th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Naiadryade, if you're female, odds are that you won't follow your father's hair thinning pattern - a lot of men's hair thinning is hormonal, and women's hormone balances are quite different. The men in my mother's family have almost all thinned pretty significantly (4/5), but the women all have full heads of hair (5/5). (yes, my mother's family is ridiculously big)

If you're male, my understanding is that the best predictor tends to actually be your maternal grandfather and uncles. *sigh* Which is a shame for my fiance, as he inherited his mother's family's tendency to lose hair instead of his father's family's tendency to keep it. I try not to grieve over it too much, but in his early 30s he already has his hairline heading back and a lot of thinning on the top. He's not disturbed by it at all, which I guess I should be glad about. I had to learn to shut up about it because I was making him feel badly about himself, and using Rogaine just made him feel worse.

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Naiadryade, if you're female, odds are that you won't follow your father's hair thinning pattern - a lot of men's hair thinning is hormonal, and women's hormone balances are quite different. oThe men in my mother's family have almost all thinned pretty significantly (4/5), but the women all have full heads of hair (5/5). (yes, my mother's family is ridiculously big)

Ah, of course. If I would have had any brothers they would have been fortunate as my maternal grandfather had practically a full head of hair until he died in his 70s.

jacqueline101
October 10th, 2013, 03:05 AM
p.s. I had fine hair but a lot of it when I was younger to fine hair and less of it now. Down to 2.5 inch ponytail and shorter terminal. Aging definitely effected my hair. I had less hair to start with really and I think for super thick haired girls this isn't too much of a problem.

Hope this helps:

* Genetics are important. If your mum is thick and you are thick as well it's unlikely to be an issue for you.

* Some hair follicles can become dormant in some women. The effects of DHT due to aging and the reduction of estrogen in the body cause this type of hair loss in some women.

* Hair growth can slow down for some women as they age. Just like finger nails no longer growing like weeds as we age the hair can be effected. For some this might mean it's harder to reach those long lengths that were easier in their youth. They can still get there.

* If you are concerned about this issue you can see your doctor or dermatologist about it and have the usual battery of tests for Iron, Vit D, estrogen, TSH (thyroid), go over the drugs you are on and their potential side effects (hair loss), look at your relatives.

* Looking after your hair and taking care of yourself and dealing with stress will always help you grow better hair at any age. But if you have a genetic disposition to thinning hair as you age those things can only go so far.

I agree with this post. I think genetics is a big part of it. Ive also seen older women with very thick hair so it's a gene they were blessed to have.

embee
October 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM
My hair has thinned, but it is still good enough for me. :) It was kinda thin to start with, so it's not really shocking. But I'm *way* past 50. ;)

renarok
October 10th, 2013, 08:33 AM
When I was young my hair was thick and coarse, I now have thick, medium textured hair in my mid 50s. It may end up fine, who knows?

lapushka
October 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I'm just over 40 and my hair is as thick as ever. That might change during menopause, not sure. Will have to see then.

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I'm just over 40 and my hair is as thick as ever. That might change during menopause, not sure. Will have to see then.
For the most part just over 40 is far too young for menopausal hormones to start wreaking havoc with your hair. There are exceptions, of course. Hope it stays thick for decades!, lapushka!

Silverbrumby
October 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM
For the most part just over 40 is far too young for menopausal hormones to start wreaking havoc with your hair. There are exceptions, of course. Hope it stays thick for decades!, lapushka!

I had fine/medium hair but lots of it. Started really notiCing a change at 46. I work at a women's Gym. Lots of older women with nice hair in their 50, 60, 70. At 80 it's more rare but hell, those women are still hitting the gym in their 80's and that's a WIN!

;)

Naiadryade
October 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Naiadryade, if you're female, odds are that you won't follow your father's hair thinning pattern - a lot of men's hair thinning is hormonal, and women's hormone balances are quite different. The men in my mother's family have almost all thinned pretty significantly (4/5), but the women all have full heads of hair (5/5). (yes, my mother's family is ridiculously big)

If you're male, my understanding is that the best predictor tends to actually be your maternal grandfather and uncles. *sigh* Which is a shame for my fiance, as he inherited his mother's family's tendency to lose hair instead of his father's family's tendency to keep it. I try not to grieve over it too much, but in his early 30s he already has his hairline heading back and a lot of thinning on the top. He's not disturbed by it at all, which I guess I should be glad about. I had to learn to shut up about it because I was making him feel badly about himself, and using Rogaine just made him feel worse.

Thank you! That's a relief! Even if I were male... My mom's father (in his 80's) and brothers (in their 40's and 50's) still have thick hair. It will be interesting to watch my brother over time, see if he takes after our dad's family or our mom's family in that respect! He's got beautiful thick brown hair just like mine, so I hope he keeps it.

Panth
October 10th, 2013, 11:18 AM
One of the big reasons for women's hair thinning in middle/older age is... dye and bleach. They start dyeing and bleaching because they start greying and that results in a lot of damage, breakage and hair loss.

There are several members here who thought they were having inevitable age-related thinning, only to discover that their hair bounced back to its old thickness and luster once they decided to embrace the grey or to use henna instead of regular dye.

Silverbrumby
October 10th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Just some information from the inter webs

What About Women?

While male pattern baldness is a guy thing, women after menopause often experience a related condition called “female pattern hair loss” (FPHL). It’s characterized not by receding hairline or a bald spot but by a gradual thinning over the crown of the head. It affects as many as 38 percent of women by age 70. Unlike the situation with men, FPHL isn’t tightly linked with excess androgens. Many women with the condition have no excess androgens, although it’s possible that their hair follicles may exhibit some hormonal imbalance. If your doctor does find high circulating androgen levels, though, he or she may want to check into other related conditions such as adult acne or obesity. Although not as well studied as in men, there are some associations between female pattern hair loss and heart disease, especially if it starts early, before age 55. If your hair is thinning, your doctor may want to check you for metabolic and cardiovascular risk. If you have thinning hair, it's also important to check your iron status, since iron deficiency can cause hair loss. As with men, there are medications such as Minoxidil (Rogaine) that may help restore hair growth or reduce hair loss such as Minoxidil.

Male pattern, and female pattern, hair loss are the two most common causes of hair loss. But they are far from the only ones. Many factors—diseases such as diabetes, medications, chemotherapy, high fever, poor diet, hair dyes and more—can cause hair to thin or fall out. If you experience unusual hair changes, see your doc. As for treatment, there are a couple of medications approved by the FDA to treat male pattern baldness: Minoxidil (Rogaine), a solution you apply to your scalp, and finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), a pill that blocks certain androgens. Otherwise, the treatment for both men and women is hair transplantation.

lapushka
October 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Errr. My mom went through menopause when she was in her early forties.

DweamGoiL
October 10th, 2013, 09:11 PM
When my grandmother was 92, her waist length hair was visibly thinner on top than when she was in her 60's. Her hair was always long and in a bun. I didn't notice her hair getting that much thinner until she was well into her 80's. So, I am assuming eventually I will also follow suit.

chen bao jun
October 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I think thinning hair depends on so many factors that it's impossible for a person to tell what will happen to them when they are in their 30's.
It certainly is possible, but there are also a lot of women who keep their hair until they die, and plenty of it.
Medical issues also complicate things. There are quite a few women on this forum who have thinning hair specifically because of some disease and/or medication they have to take for the disease. it is really impossible to know in advance if this is going to happen and cause your hair to be thinner, at age 50--or age 25. I would say that given that you do not have the bad luck to have such an issue, you will definitely not be balding or thinning so that others can notice it in your fifties, or most probably even in your 60's. If you live to be 80, I think this becomes much more of a possibility. But it is still not inevitable. At this point a lot depends on your genetics. But other factors still can play in at this age and its not good to make assumptions. My maternal grandmother assumed that her hair was thinning because of age when she reached her 80's. It was indeed much thinner. However, when she decided to go grey, it turned out to be because of hair dye (which is very common cause of thinning hair) and once the dye grew out (she was 83 or 84) it turned out that she had bra strap hair that was as thick as it ever had been (and much softer feeling. the texture had also been coarsening because of the dye). My mom a year ago (she is 83) had bald spots and very thin hair. In her case, it turned out that it was poor hair care practices and balding from the use of extensions. with the use of castor oil and gentle hair case practices, she has grown all her bald patches back in in just one year and her hair has also grown a great deal. She has several friends, also in their 80's who are having good results with better hair care and castor oil also. So at any age, it is good not to make assumptions that thinning or even balding is because of your age, in my opinion. You should still check things out with a dr and the hair care practices described on here can really help.
I think most Americans and first world people do not have the hair they are supposed to have at any age, frankly and that getting older can simply mean that you have had more years for the bad practices, which can be cumulative, to catch up with you.